Violent arrest of teen

Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Violent arrest of teen

Post by Hassel99 »

GordonH wrote:I'm not one to bash the police, just observation over the years.
What I've noticed is since the RCMP has changed its hiring practices(little easier to become a officer), these events have continue to increase more & more each year.
Just maybe the force should look into an outside group to do physiological evaluation on new & current members. Just to weed out those who maybe should never be a police officer.

I think it's more about the proliferation of video combined with a24 hour news cycle.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The caption says "Violent arrest of teen".

I wonder who and what turned it into a "violent arrest"?

Did the police see a young man calmly standing there and say to each other "Lets go over there and make a violent arrest"'

The whole onset of the "violence" is missing from the video.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bingo, we have a winner, funny how the start of the video is missing, the start that shows the teen taking a swing at the cop
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Donald G wrote:Although we expect all police officers to have an iron grip on their emotions at all times it does not always work out that way. The extra punch or kick is usually a sign that, for a few seconds, the emotional part of the brain fails to recognize the necessary primacy of the memory and analysis (left frontal cortex) part of the brain. The result is what is depicted in the video.

Although in most people it would be considered completely normal (or as a result of provocation) when it comes to the police, with only rare exception, society can not permit them the leeway to be "human" in that respect. Simply because it could, in extreme cases, lead to the police handing out street justice.

We do not expect the police to be perfect, but it is necessary that they have a very strong degree of emotional control regardless of the provocation.

lol surly you jest. they need to be better than us , not other way around. there was a time it was a privilege to wear a rcmp uniform, i'm not sure it is like that anymore.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To lakevixen ...

From long association with the RCMP and other police forces I would say that most of them are ordinary Canadian Citizens doing their best to do an extraordinary job of providing police services to a large number of Canadian communities across Canada. If you expect more perhaps you should start with unemotional robots.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Donald G wrote:To lakevixen ...

From long association with the RCMP and other police forces I would say that most of them are ordinary Canadian Citizens doing their best to do an extraordinary job of providing police services to a large number of Canadian communities across Canada. If you expect more perhaps you should start with unemotional robots.

lol , um no , lets start with there's no excuse not to be professional , i'm not ok with police thumping on anyone because they got emotional . as im not ok with everyone else thumping on other people cause they had a bad day .
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

There is no human being who was ever lived, who is presently alive, or will ever be born who is infallible and has not and will not be subject to making mistakes involving emotion vs intellectualizeation. All we can do is minimize the incidence of people, including the police, being swayed by emotion and deal with the excesses as appropriate.

Given the sheer number of times that people make effort to provoke the police I am surprised that the "error" incidence is not a lot higher.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:and the video clearly shows another member witnessed the assault. what's his excuse for not reporting it?

Do you know who reported it? In that case how do you know he did not? No need to jump to conclusions.
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

A Terrace RCMP officer is under investigation after video surfaced of a violent arrest earlier this year.

The footage, shot on May 28, shows two Mounties restraining a teenage boy on the ground in front of a local printing supplies shop.

During the arrest, one of the officers appears to strike the youth several times in the back of the head.

The RCMP said the officer, whose name hasn’t been released, was placed on administrative leave and a code of conduct investigation was ordered after the video came to light earlier this week.

i suppose it is entirely possible that the second member tracked down video before coming forward, but i have not heard anything of the sort.

as well, the iio being called months later is not protocol.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Bsuds wrote:[

Unfortunately too many seem to have a problem with keeping emotions under control.

I have to defend Police Officers on this one.

As you may not have noted not all of the officers took their shots at the accused in this case.

I have been there in situations that were life threatening, adrenaline flowing high. Yes you wish it was all OK to give the suspect what he needs, a little street justice as someone called it. However there are very few police officers who have trouble with controlling their emotions, it is all apart of the training. A seasoned officer gets his satisfaction from putting another outstanding citizen in jail again. To beat on some lowlife who is hand cuffed is like taking candy from a child.

I will say this to you, from reading your posts, you don't have what it takes to be a Police Officer. I also think you are missing it by this comment which shows your lack of knowledge when it comes to this topic, like many others you have commented on.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Defend the cops on that really are you insane two cops holding a teen down who doesn't appear to be resisting the big goof punching him in the head repeatedly and you find that ok, that piece of crap should be fired and charged with assault. His actions are completely unacceptable and should be treated as such. Regardless of what that individual did the cops are not judge and jury and don't have the right to punish as they see fit.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LTD wrote:Defend the cops on that really are you insane two cops holding a teen down who doesn't appear to be resisting the big goof punching him in the head repeatedly and you find that ok, that piece of crap should be fired and charged with assault. His actions are completely unacceptable and should be treated as such. Regardless of what that individual did the cops are not judge and jury and don't have the right to punish as they see fit.

I'm not defending the actions of this individual police officer, but to paint all officers with the same brush that is what I have stated. Read my post again!

I do hope he has his day in court.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

LTD wrote:Defend the cops on that really are you insane two cops holding a teen down who doesn't appear to be resisting the big goof punching him in the head repeatedly and you find that ok, that piece of crap should be fired and charged with assault. His actions are completely unacceptable and should be treated as such. Regardless of what that individual did the cops are not judge and jury and don't have the right to punish as they see fit.

maybe the teen deserved it..maybe a little as kicking might be just what he needed, he must of done something to set off the officer, but yes it does look bad on video,i would like to know the whole story for sure
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

I see merit in some of the earlier posts and I won't say all cops are bad, but even without seeing the initial part of the confrontation was the action warranted? If he spat at him would it be justified? http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florid ... l/24531474
I know this is in the states and it was a corrections officer but it just goes to show what can provoke excessive force.

As for some of the other officers in that Terrace incident that had not hit the teen, I feel will support the officer who did the hitting if/when it gets investigated by the IIOBC.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To hozzle ...

You spit at most decent cops you are going to pay a price. Definitely in court when charged with assault but likely also in the form of street level behaviour modification.

You will also be tested for aids, Hep C and other communicable diseases as well.

Return to “B.C.”