Tanker adrift off BC north coast

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Tanker adrift off BC north coast

Post by GordonH »

Hopefully they can either restore full power or have it towed, before any damage happens.
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/125018/ ... -off-shore
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Tanker adrift off BC north coast

Post by the truth »

not good news for sure
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Yet another misleading headline by Castanet. It's not an "Oil Tanker", but rather a container ship.

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

In the report it says it a container ship, carrying 400 tonnes of bunker oil & 50 tonnes of diesel.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I ignore headlines - they are there to grab your attention. It's the meat and potatoes of the article that is important. And this one is concerning.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

goatboy wrote:Yet another misleading headline by Castanet. It's not an "Oil Tanker", but rather a container ship.

But what are they carrying in the containers? The article seems to imply it's carrying mining minerals, 400 tonnes of Bunker C fuel oil and 50 tonnes of diesel fuel. from Everett to Russia. We do know it's not an "oil tanker," and that's reason enough to say this is media alarmism.
Last edited by Glacier on Oct 17th, 2014, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Attachments
ship.GIF
Chill
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

This reports adds mining minerals to other items mentioned already. http://globalnews.ca/news/1620594/conta ... ida-gwaii/
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Easy solution:

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

This is an outrage!! We need to ban all fossil fuel burning vessels from BC waters now!!!

[/sarcasm]
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Castanet: "Oil Tanker adrift"
Global "News" : Container ship bound for Russia and carrying fuel.....

It's a C O N T A I N E R S H I P. It is fueled by bunker fuel. It carries the bunker fuel with it (how the hell else would it get fuel ?) A fuel line to shore ? Bunker is like tar when cold.

Yes, unfortunately all the sailing container ships were already in use.

What is wrong with the media ???????

This is a relatively small container ship. Carrying 400 tonnes of bunker fuel, which is not much fuel in the shipping world. Some of the big container ships burn 100 tonnes of bunker a day.

***Breaking News*** This just in,,,,, a Ford F150 pickup carrying fuel has crashed on Highway 97. The 36 gallons of fuel has not ignited as of press time. Stay tuned for more developments......
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote:Castanet: "Oil Tanker adrift"
Global "News" : Container ship bound for Russia and carrying fuel.....

It's not Castanet's story, they just provided a link to the Canadian Press. They are the ones with the sensationalized headlines and it's not the first time.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

... and not to be outdone by previous false inaccurate headlines......

This just in from CTV News :

The story goes on to say :

OLD MASSETT, B.C. -- A Russian container ship carrying hundreds of tonnes of fuel was drifting without power in rough seas off British Columbia's northern coast on Friday.

The story could have said. Container ship with a half tank of fuel is drifting without power.

But if "Dog bits man" that's not a news story, but when "Man bites dog" then that's a story. I think in the news business you're supposed to wait until man actually bites a dog to report it. Well, if you want to retain any credibility that is.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Bsuds wrote:
It's not Castanet's story, they just provided a link to the Canadian Press. They are the ones with the sensationalized headlines and it's not the first time.

The story is from the Canadian Press, the headline is Castanets. Can't find that headline on any other news site linking to the Canadian Press story.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

400 tonnes of bunker oil equals out to 481,000 litre's +/-, this stuff would mostly float on the surface. Biggest issue would marine live.

Now for this to happen those tanks holding both bunker oil & diesel would need to have been damaged or completely submerged. Which is highly unlikely

Return to “B.C.”