Premier offers an apology

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Premier offers an apology

Post by Glacier »

We like say there's never any good coming from politicians, but today is a prime example that disproves this.

This morning, the Premier stood up and exonerated the 6 Tsilhqot'in chiefs who were wrongfully hanged after being falsely accused and wrongly convicted of murder in 1864. After she spoke, the Leader of the Opposition (John Horgan) made an equally eloquent speech affirming support for the actions of the government. Representatives of the Tsilhqot'in nation were present to receive the apology. It was moving to say the least.

After that, MLA Linda Reimer introduced a Private Members Bill declaring the 3rd Sunday in September 'Terry Fox Day' in BC. Terry's father, brothers, sister and family friend were present. The Bill was heartily received with a loud round of applause!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Premier offers an apology

Post by flamingfingers »

I guess apologies are great; however, these kinds of apologies 150 years late smacks of political grandstanding. Regardless of which political party does it. Perhaps the present day First Nations felt vindicated with the apology but that does not change the basic history of how they were wronged.

For seconders, yes, it is fine that Terry Fox has a day named after him; however, around the world there are 'Terry Fox' runs and I am sure just because BC has named a particular day in his honor does not shine a brighter light on his ultimate sacrifice.
Chill
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I'd like Christy to apologize for increasing my utilities bills...

Fat chance of that huh ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

BS! Sickening
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

flamingfingers wrote:I guess apologies are great; however, these kinds of apologies 150 years late smacks of political grandstanding. Regardless of which political party does it. Perhaps the present day First Nations felt vindicated with the apology but that does not change the basic history of how they were wronged.

For seconders, yes, it is fine that Terry Fox has a day named after him; however, around the world there are 'Terry Fox' runs and I am sure just because BC has named a particular day in his honor does not shine a brighter light on his ultimate sacrifice.

My mother used to offer up a bit of advice. She said if you have nothing good to say about a person then keep quiet.

A strategy you might consider giving a shot when it comes to stories pertaining to our Premier!

It's abundantly clear that where some are concerned she's damned if she does, and damned if she doesn't.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

given that christy is a ruthless criminal with no respect for life, i would say her grandstanding is worthy of criticism.
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

That is a great to philosophy to live by, I think with your family, friends and neighbors - however in this context its the same as suggesting that an employer shut up about his employee.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote:given that christy is a ruthless criminal with no respect for life, i would say her grandstanding is worthy of criticism.

This is a perfect example of a misuse of our freedom of speech and why so many good people will not go into politics.

Right up there with the teacher from West Kelowna who wanted "assassination" as a third option on the BCTF ballot for accepting or rejecting the teachers deal.

Every time I think I have seen the stupidest post on these forums, something comes along to trump it.
You and 71 others Like this post
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Have the Tsilhqot'in apologised for the 20 white people that were murdered ?
Black Dogs Matter
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I heard for decades how the natives didn't care about subsidies and benefits as much as the apology they never got... then Harper issued a formal apology.... nothing changed.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

10/10.not one person on this planet is still alive,when this happened, get over it people
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

dogspoiler wrote:Have the Tsilhqot'in apologised for the 20 white people that were murdered ?

its ok, when there white..NOT
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
BelieveNothing
Übergod

Post by BelieveNothing »

words and symbols do not heal a collective wound, hearts do...which I find not here.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

LW wrote:

My mother used to offer up a bit of advice. She said if you have nothing good to say about a person then keep quiet.

A strategy you might consider giving a shot when it comes to stories pertaining to our Premier!

Why would I not criticize something/someone if there was place for criticism? Do you really just expect my mindless adulation and praise but no criticism?

Damn right I'll criticize her. The world would be a much better place if people thought about things critically and analytically. Unfortunately we have defenders like you who prefer to roll over and ‘say nothing’..
Chill
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

this is a very important topic/thread for sure. and the related article more so...

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/125434/ ... s#comments

the funny thing though, i can't seem to find in them who arrested the chiefs? who hung the chiefs?
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev

Return to “B.C.”