Busdriver1964
Fledgling

Another BC Cash Grab

Post by Busdriver1964 »

KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Another BC Cash Grab

Post by KL3-Something »

Well for starters, if you register it and it gets stolen, there is a far greater chance if it being returned to you if located later.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I think the cash grab will come with every time a private sale and change in registration occurs. The the government can soak us for the PST and the GST just like they do for private auto sales. Now THAT'S the piss-off!

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

If it was all about registering an ATV, that would be understandable to a point.
But the whole crock is about fraudulently creating tax revenue from the private sales of thousands of atv's.
How many times is tax going to be paid on houses, cars, travel trailers, snowmobiles, atv's in this province?

B.C. is the only province where Government can screw people out of their hard earned money, time and time again!
Transfer Tax needs to be abolished!
Tax is one thing, paid once, but to pay tax over and over again on the same item is absolutely a crime!

Let me guess, the Government is going to take the Millions of tax revenue and fix the Health Care system, right?
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

KL3-Something wrote:Well for starters, if you register it and it gets stolen, there is a far greater chance if it being returned to you if located later.

Who is in charge of verifying registration on Crown land, a Conservation Officer?
Bill 13 is an absolute farse!
Exactly what the title of this thread is, Another Big Cash grab!
A_Britishcolumbian
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by A_Britishcolumbian »

having spent a great deal of my of the life in the north half of bc, i was pleasantly surprised at this announcement when i read it on friday. as kl3 points out, it will provide a greater likelihood for the recovery of stolen vehicles, but maybe more importantly, to myself at least, the same legislation finally initiates the 'legality' of highway crossing, something that has been an impediment in the past.

In addition, changes to the Motor Vehicle Act regulations, effective Nov. 17 will allow off-road vehicle operators greater access to highways, including the ability to:

Cross a highway without having to obtain an operation permit if the crossing is controlled by a stop sign or traffic light.
Cross a highway where local police authorize through an operation permit.
Load or unload in a parking lot without an operation permit.
Obtain an operation permit with an extended term of up to two years.

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/11/o ... ov-17.html
I'm not worried what I say, if they see it now or they see it later, I said it. If you don't know maybe that would hurt you, I don't know. You should know though, so you don't get hurt, so you know what side to be on when it happens.
T.Tsarnaev
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote: i was pleasantly surprised at this announcement when i read it on friday.

You have got to be kidding me!
Pleasantly surprised?
You are going to be standing alone on this one, shame on you!
One of the biggest farses created by the B.C. Government.

Snow machines *were* a $10 registration fee, Atv's are $48
Yes, registration will possibly aid retrieving stolen atv's.
But this isn't where it ends....
Tax, Tax, Tax
Oh, and did I mention fines up to $5000 dollars!

People are getting killed by drivers who are on their cell phones, the fine for this activity is $167, If you don't wear a helmet on a quad, you can be fined no more than $2000 dollars.

Real bright ideas they have! NOT!
Last edited by Relentless on Nov 11th, 2014, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

For those of you who are interested in reading the new proposed 2014 Off Road Vehicle Act, here is the link:
https://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov13-1.htm
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

A_Britishcolumbian wrote: i was pleasantly surprised at this announcement when i read it on friday.

UltraViolet wrote:You have got to be kidding me!
Pleasantly surprised?
You are going to be standing alone on this one, shame on you!
One of the biggest farses created by the B.C. Government.

Snow machines are a $10 registration fee, Atv's are $48
Yes, registration will possibly aid retrieving stolen atv's.
But this isn't where it ends....
Tax, Tax, Tax
Oh, and did I mention fines up to $5000 dollars!

People are getting killed by drivers who are on their cell phones, the fine for this activity is $167, If you don't wear a helmet on a quad, you can be fined no more than $2000 dollars.

Real bright ideas they have! NOT!

Actually, being provincial legislation, the upper fine limit is the same for cell phones as it will be for no helmet. There will likely be a $138 ticketed amount for no helmet. All ticketed amount fines can be increased by the court with the upper limit being $2000 or as prescribed by legislation.
Last edited by KL3-Something on Nov 10th, 2014, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

BC does have a cash grab re: sales of used vehicles. It should be illegal to not allow credit for your vehicle when it's sold if you purchase a new one.
Manitoba gives you full credit for your old vehicle selling price if a new vehicle is purchased within 6 months.

C'mon Christy. Smarten up. You just raised the medical premiums over 5 bucks a month.. What's next??? I hate the NDP but my family will not vote Liberal again. That means "you" lose 2 votes from this family.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

A fine for not wearing a helmet on a quad hahaha sorry but that's my choice no one elses good luck with that
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

LTD wrote:A fine for not wearing a helmet on a quad hahaha sorry but that's my choice no one elses good luck with that

After speaking with many quad riders, many feel that a law stating that you must wear a helmet is ridiculous.
I have been riding a quad for 28 years and have over 115,000 kms clocked, and I am still here, and no injuries.
New, inexperienced riders, go wide open on high powered machines and get killed doing stupid stuff, and they wear helmets!

I feel, it is an infringement to my rights to choose what's best for me!

Oh, and did I mention a person can't hear to well wearing a helmet?
Not being able to hear other ATV's/vehicles approaching, is more of a safety issue then not wearing a helmet!
Helmets should be optional!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

LTD wrote:A fine for not wearing a helmet on a quad hahaha sorry but that's my choice no one elses good luck with that

Just like it's your choice whether or not to wear a seat belt, or to exceed the speed limit, or to run a yellow light or to roll a stop sign when you are in your car.

I agree to a certain extent, your "choice" not to wear a helmet can come with some very expensive consequences for everyone else when you crash. Namely the significantly higher medical costs for the treatment of your head injury than if you wear one.

It's one of those things everyone has to risk out for themselves: chances of crashing vs head injury vs no head injury vs chance of getting a violation ticket and not being permitted to proceed any further on your quad when very far from your truck.

Your choice.

I'll be wearing one. Not because the government is telling me I have to. But because of what I've seen out there. I don't want to face the potential personal consequences of not wearing one.

Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

KL3-Something wrote:I'll be wearing one. Not because the government is telling me I have to. But because of what I've seen out there. I don't want to face the potential personal consequences of not wearing one.

And that should be your choice, not a law!
Oh, and by the way, KL3, please provide a link to all of the cases in the news where ATV riders not wearing helmets encountered head injuries resulting in continued medical treatment.

A study shows 200,000 Atv's are being used in B.C at the moment, I can't find any documentation showing proof that helmets are doing anything other than causing some riders grief!
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I am aware of three fatal ATV crashes this year where the person died from head injuries.

I don't know why everyone always wants "a link" to things that are common sense. No helmet = greater chance of head injury during a crash. Helmet = less chance of head injury during a crash. Medical cost associated to significant head injury > medical cost to someone without head injury. I am not going to go and scour the internet looking for information that I may not find. I'll just stick to the common sense approach and wear my helmet when I'm out there.

It is impossible to prove what "might have been". But I am confident in asserting that wearing a helmet has way more up sides than down.

Return to “B.C.”