Canadian Taxpayer Federation

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Canadian Taxpayer Federation

Post by Donald G »

Today I received an unsolicited letter from a person who identified themselves as Troy Lanigan, President, Canadian Taxpayers Association with offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Ottawa and Halifax.

No addresses or phone numbers were given for any of their offices on their Taxpayer.com letterhead, nor on the Reply Memorandum, but the correspondence was correctly addressed to myself at my current address c/w my correct postal code.

The Reply Memorandum requested my credit card number and issuing agency and identified how I could make donations of $50.00 to $250.00 or more simply by listing my number and ticking off the appropriate box.

The emotional "stringer" with the fund solicitation was a letter from a person (name and address removed) who had ostensibly been driven into financial ruin after being audited by the Canadian Revenue Agency in an action that started about 18 years ago.

I have no idea where they obtained my name and address, Nor do I have any knowledge of the persons or situation mentioned in any of the correspondence. Can anyone out there shed any light on the matter?
Last edited by Donald G on Nov 10th, 2014, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Canadian Taxpayer Federation or Mail Fraud Scam

Post by oneh2obabe »

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) is a federally incorporated, non-profit organization and taxpayers advocacy group that claims over 84,000 supporters across Canada and is governed by a six person board of directors. The organization advocates lower taxes, a reduction of what it considers to be wasteful government spending, and an increase in government accountability. It was founded in Saskatchewan in 1990 through a merger of the Association of Saskatchewan Taxpayers and the Resolution One Association of Alberta.

The CTF maintains a federal office in Ottawa, and offices in Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Halifax. Provincial offices conduct research and advocacy activities specific to their provinces, and act as regional organizers of Canada-wide initiatives. The group opened the office in Halifax, partly due to a pension scandal in September 2010.

The federation uses a combination of media interviews, press conferences, speeches, presentations, petitions and publications to advocate its political views. The CTF publishes The Taxpayer magazine four times a year, and a regular e-mail Action Updates and a website/blog. CTF offices also issue weekly Let’s Talk Taxes commentaries to media outlets.

Communication Directors:
President and CEO Troy Lanigan
Vice President, Communications Scott Hennig
Federal Director Aaron Wudrick
Research Director Jeff Bowes
Ontario Director Candice Malcolm
British Columbia Director Jordan Bateman
Acting Alberta Director Scott Hennig
Prairie Director (MB & SK) Colin Craig
Atlantic Canada Director Kevin Lacey
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Administration Office:
265-438 Victoria Ave E
Regina, SK S4N 0N7

Ph: (306) 352-7199
Fax: (306) 205-8339.
E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.taxpayer.com/en/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canadian Taxpayer Federation

Post by Donald G »

To oneh2obabe ...

Thank you for your time and trouble. You can take a bow on behalf of Castanet since, in my case, it was the credibility of your organization that caused me to accept your comments at face value.

I have changed the caption to reflect what I now know to be the actual situation.
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

DG, before you send anything off, phone the CTF. Any correspondence that I have received from them ALWAYS contained the complete letterhead and contact info. The fact that this campaign is not well publicized leads me to be suspicous. A little protection and safety may be warranted.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To erinmore3775 ...

I agree. As a matter of routine I never make donations to door to door or mail solicitors without phoning to confirm the validity of the solicitations. Even then, I make payments to or at their local office and never in cash.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Hmmm, what was their point with the taxpayer who was driven into financial ruin because of an audit? Generally, people that pay the taxes owed according to the law, do not run afoul of CRA. We can't just not pay the taxes we owe, just because we think they are unfair, or excessive, or detracting from a desired lifestyle.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Bunnyhop wrote:Hmmm, what was their point with the taxpayer who was driven into financial ruin because of an audit? Generally, people that pay the taxes owed according to the law, do not run afoul of CRA. We can't just not pay the taxes we owe, just because we think they are unfair, or excessive, or detracting from a desired lifestyle.

The case referred to was one that happened in Prince George.
I do not remember all the fine details but in general it went something like this:

Records were handed over to CRA without documentation and the CRA then destroyed them and assessed the business owner a large fine. Since the records were destroyed a long legal battle ensued.
The business went bankrupt - health and marriage were destroyed.

Moral:

If there is an audit or CRA wants anything - have a certified accountant hired to handle the entire audit for you.
It will cost less than your business and health and marriage.
If it is a personal audit the same applies - hire a CPA to deal with the CRA.
Will cost you less in the long run.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Absolutely - hire a professional accountant to handle an audit. It will cost a few bucks though.

Nowadays, CRA gives a receipt for all documents handed in for review. I photocopied everything that I gave them first. It was a pain, but I like to be prepared.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Bunnyhop ...

Right you are. This year Revenue Canada audited my Political and Medical deductions. I simply took it to the people who do my tax return and asked them to deal with it. They told me what specific items to bring in and dealt with Revenue Canada on my behalf.

End of problem. End of stress.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I disagree with their notions of reducing taxes on philosophical grounds.

Aside from that CTF will always be tainted for me as Jason Kenney used to run it. Considering the hash up up he made out of the TFW program, I wonder how sound their policy ideas are....
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”