MSP premiums going up

GenesisGT
Guru

Re: MSP premiums going up

Post by GenesisGT »

In Ontario it came off of every one of my pay cheques.

The premium is deducted from pay and pensions of those with employment income or pension income of more than $20,000 a year, as part of federal and Ontario income tax. To ensure that employers do not incur added costs to change their payroll systems, the premium is included on pay stubs as a component of the income tax withheld.

Individuals who do not have taxes deducted at source or make instalment payments pay the premium when they file their personal income tax and benefit return.
Last edited by GenesisGT on Dec 20th, 2014, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Some do, some don't, but I will guarantee that all provinces collect the money from the taxpayer one way or another. I believe the ones that keep hidden in their taxes are probably smarter as they don't have the problems we are seeing here. These premiums are part of the reason our government can claim low income tax rates. It has to come from somewhere, be it direct premiums or hidden in taxes. Kind of blows away our low income tax rates doesn't it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

wanderingman wrote:BC is the only province you have actually send in money once a month

True but saying no other province(s) charges health premiums is incorrect.

Ontario: The premium is deducted from pay and pensions of those with employment income or pension income of more than $20,000 a year, as part of federal and Ontario income tax. To ensure that employers do not incur added costs to change their payroll systems, the premium is included on pay stubs as a component of the income tax withheld.

Individuals who do not have taxes deducted at source or make instalment payments pay the premium when they file their personal income tax and benefit return.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

annexi wrote:Yah true but you're missing my point. It's the principle of them being able to continually hike fees in perpetuity with nothing to keep them in check.

CaptainAwesome wrote: All things get more expensive over time. It's called inflation. Govt services are not exception.

True, but I'm betting the rise in rate fees surpass inflation rates.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So for a single person above the cutoff of MSP assistance (your by-weekly pay before deductions is $1,156)

Your MSP is going up $2.75 per month & income tax is going down $3.49 per/month.

Added: this is based on comparing deductions on January 1, 2014 & January 1, 2015.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

annexi wrote:True, but I'm betting the rise in rate fees surpass inflation rates.

3.9%

Quite comparable to the level of national inflation.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I believe they also have a lot of things to deal with that aren't considered when calculating inflation. Their expenses probably rise a lot more than inflation.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Yes. Inflation levels vary by sector - for example inflation of the post-secondary education is far greater than level of national inflation along with food or housing costs.

But it would be very naive to expect prices to stay the same for everything.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kumazatheef
Board Meister

Post by kumazatheef »

Glacier wrote:Ouch! I will be forking over $1728 next year for this tax.

That means you're in the bucket of family for $144 ... which was previously $138.50 ... so you're net difference is $66 for the year. Don't eat out once or thrice and you'll break even.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Just remember this when our government tries to tell you how low our BC income taxes are. But also remember these fees are hidden in most other provinces taxes. It has to be paid somehow and we are the payers in the long run, not the government.

Return to “B.C.”