Stealing our heritage as hunters in BC

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Stealing our heritage as hunters in BC

Post by Glacier »

On one hand I was happy to see Mel Arnold win the Conservative nomination for the Okanagan-Shuswap since he is dead set against stuff like this, but on the other with him away from his position as president of the BC Wildlife Federation, he is no longer directly lobbying for the rights of hunters and anglers to get their fair share of the game. I think this government decision reflects this fact.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Glacier wrote:On one hand I was happy to see Mel Arnold win the Conservative nomination for the Okanagan-Shuswap since he is dead set against stuff like this, but on the other with him away from his position as president of the BC Wildlife Federation, he is no longer directly lobbying for the rights of hunters and anglers to get their fair share of the game. I think this government decision reflects this fact.

Mel is a great guy and like you I appreciate all the good work he did as President of the BCWF.

BCWF Presidents only have 2 year maximum terms. Mel's term ended in April of 2012. That was unrelated to his foray into political life. Mel stepped away from direct involvement in the BCWF to enter politics, but at this point it would have been a committee member and/or Past Presidents' affiliation only.

At this time, George Wilson is the Pres, and he's been very involved and effective on this issue. George is a top-notch guy.

It's difficult for a non-profit, charitable organization like the BCWF to "get political" on these issues and still maintain their status.

Moreover, the BCWF does not have the ability to donate over $100,000 to the BC Liberal Party like the for-profit guide outfitters have done...and we all know what donating hundreds of thousands of dollars to the BC Liberal Party will do.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

^Good info. Obviously money talks, so I can't blame the BCWF for not being on the ball.

That said, the quotas don't seem that bad, but I'm not totally up on how the new allocations compare to past years. The only tags that are 40% for guides are for grizzly bear.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Glacier wrote:^Good info. Obviously money talks, so I can't blame the BCWF for not being on the ball.

That said, the quotas don't seem that bad, but I'm not totally up on how the new allocations compare to past years. The only tags that are 40% for guides are for grizzly bear.

Sheep in some areas are 40% too. http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/ ... r-2014.pdf

Sheep have also been taken off allocation in the Kootenays, which will enable guide-outfitters to kill every legal sheep on the mountain. There's no limit to what foreigners can shoot now.

That's a real conservation concern, and the Minister's reasoning was for "economic viability of region 4 outfitters" and not related to science or conservation whatsoever!

Non-resident hunters are less than 5% of hunter numbers in BC. Why should they get 25%? 35%? 40%? How about this: they should get 5%.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Rwede wrote:Non-resident hunters are less than 5% of hunter numbers in BC. Why should they get 25%? 35%? 40%? How about this: they should get 5%.

That's only reasonable.

My father-in-law lives in Alaska, and in that state locals get preferential treatment. For example, they can dip net something like 50 salmon just like the natives.
- Douglas Murray
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Rwede wrote:Non-resident hunters are less than 5% of hunter numbers in BC. Why should they get 25%? 35%? 40%? How about this: they should get 5%.

Because the honorable, Steve Thomson says they can!
It's whats best for him, how would he look if he didn't favor the ones who "politically" en-rich his party?

Thomson is so rotten, he stinks!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

So will there be any 'real' action on this issue or is this just another 'kick it down the road' some more:

'*bleep* off' minister Bill Bennett says government will 'have to change' new B.C. hunting policies

By Dan Fumano, The Province January 7, 2015

When the provincial government unveiled changes last month to B.C.’s hunting policies, they “didn’t get it quite right,” a cabinet minister has acknowledged, saying they will go back to the drawing board later this month.

Bill Bennett, Liberal MLA for Kootenay East, said the government has heard the public outcry from B.C. hunters, who were up in arms and claiming the new Wildlife Harvest Allocation decision unfairly favoured foreigners and professional hunting guides, at the expense of resident hunters.

A director of the B.C. Wildlife Federation said some resident hunters feel like “second class citizens in their own province” because the Dec. 10 decision gave a larger share of big game hunting permits to professional guides and outfitters, who largely cater to foreign hunters.

The issue ignited passionate debate in recent weeks, with Bennett himself admitting he got “*bleep* off” to the point where he wrote an “embarrassing” Facebook message.

Last month, after concerned hunters debated the topic on Bennett’s Facebook page, Bennett replied with a public post saying: “Frankly Steve (Thomson, Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations) doesn’t need the votes to get elected and I’m not running again, so all the threats don’t mean sh-- to us.”

Some B.C. residents who saw Bennett’s Facebook comment, as well as opposition NDP politicians, expressed concern and disappointment at what they perceived as a lack of regard for the voting public.

Bennet said he didn’t intend it that way, and thought the post was a private message. When he realized the comment could be read by people other than the intended recipient, Bennett said, he was “horrified” and immediately removed it. He apologized to anyone who was upset by reading the message, and added: “Steve (Thomson) had no idea I was going to say that ... that’s not his fault that I said what I said. That’s on me, totally.”

Bennett also said the government has heard the wave of outrage from B.C.’s hunters who were dismayed by last month’s announcement.

“I think we are going to have to change what we announced, and I’ve already said that to the Minister (Thomson).”

Bennett said that by the end of January, the government will try to get the two sides together — the BCWF representing resident hunters, and the Guide Outfitters Association of B.C. (GOABC) for the industry — to “try to work something out that everybody can live with ... We realize we didn’t get it quite right.”

Jesse Zeman, a BCWF director, said it came as welcome news that the government wanted to restart talks on wildlife allocation.

“From our perspective, the door is always open,” Zeman said. “This is a public resource, it’s not being managed in the best interest of British Columbians ... I think what they’re hearing is British Columbians are not happy.”

On the other side, Scott Ellis, executive director of the Guide Outfitters Association of B.C., said he “totally, 100 per cent” disagrees with Zeman’s characterization that resident hunters stand to lose out to the outfitting industry.
Like Zeman, Ellis said it was news to him that the government intends to go back to the table on this issue with the GOABC and BCWF, and he was “very disappointed.”

“We’ve spent 10 years and government finally makes a decision ... what are we going to do now?” asked Ellis. “But if the government demands we come back to the table to discuss what they’ve already decided, obviously we will participate.”

The NDP MLA for Columbia River-Revelstoke, Norm Macdonald, said: “I’m actually really pleased, I had not heard the government is going to revisit this ... That’s what should happen.”

“Certainly, (Bennett’s) Facebook post speaks to an attitude that is unacceptable,” Macdonald said. “Nobody should accept the idea that’s expressed in that Facebook post, that’s just not on.”

One B.C. hunter who read Bennett’s Facebook post said she thought it was “incredibly condescending.” Another said he was “shocked.”

The NDP critic for Forest Lands and Natural Resource Operations, Harry Bains, wrote in a letter that Bennett’s comments “revealed in the ugliest terms possible, how little they care for those who disagree with their decisions.”

Bains wrote in the letter, sent last month to BCWF president George Wilson, that Bennett’s comments suggested “Minister Steve Thomson ignored hunters because he feels secure in his Kelowna-Mission constituency and does not need their votes.

And Energy Minister Bill Bennett, who has a well-earned reputation for belittling critics, ignored hunters because he will not seek re-election and doesn’t care about their votes.”

Bennett acknowledged this wasn’t the first time in his 14 years as an MLA that he’s apologized for sending tersely-worded online messages, mentioning an angry, profanity-laced email he sent to a constituent in 2007. That email, also on the topic of wildlife allocations, led to Bennett resigning his cabinet position.

[email protected]
Chill
the quadguy
Fledgling

Post by the quadguy »

If anyone in their right mind does not think Bennett meant exactly what he said,That him and Steve Thompson don't give a sh-t. Then get your head out of your behind, If these two lyin politicians are going to handle this hunting issue, Then kiss it good bye. Did you contribute as much cabbage to the campaigns as the Quide outfitters, You didn't, then sit down and shut up. Since when has any any of these liars listened to their constituents, It is all about photo opps and headlines if they can ride the shirttails of someone else's hard work thewy are right there with there mugs hung out, Any questions???
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

Attachments
BCGOA 2013.jpg
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Whos still a fan of the GOABC now?

Christy and her Liberal 'Families First' (depending on how much money you contribute to the Liberal Party) of course!!!
Chill
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yap , christy loves that money :P
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Probably because Non-resident hunters are bringing tourism dollars to the BC economy. Hiring of guides, rentals of equipment, lodging, meals. The government brings in more dollars per non-resident license, and I believe there's a royalty on the Guide fees as well. You should be happy about this, no?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
annexi
Board Meister

Post by annexi »

]

36Drew wrote:Probably because Non-resident hunters are bringing tourism dollars to the BC economy. Hiring of guides, rentals of equipment, lodging, meals. The government brings in more dollars per non-resident license, and I believe there's a royalty on the Guide fees as well. You should be happy about this, no?

I suppose one might be happy about it if they valued money as the most important deciding factor in the issue. But that said, my understanding is that the $ brought in to provincial coffers by resident hunters is comparable so that argument is moot.
Even when it's bad it's good. More cowbell.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

annexi wrote:I suppose one might be happy about it if they valued money as the most important deciding factor in the issue. But that said, my understanding is that the $ brought in to provincial coffers by resident hunters is comparable so that argument is moot.

Resident Hunters pay $32 for a license. Non-residents pay $75. Alien non-residents (ie., Not Canadian) pay $180.

The species licenses are also significantly higher. For example, Bear: $20 resident / $180 non-resident.

I think perhaps the ministry is on to something. Maximizing funding for the Ministry. Fewer tax dollars on my part. Perhaps they should raise costs for residents and then re-adjust the license allocations accordingly.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

36Drew wrote:Resident Hunters pay $32 for a license. Non-residents pay $75. Alien non-residents (ie., Not Canadian) pay $180.

The species licenses are also significantly higher. For example, Bear: $20 resident / $180 non-resident.

I think perhaps the ministry is on to something. Maximizing funding for the Ministry. Fewer tax dollars on my part. Perhaps they should raise costs for residents and then re-adjust the license allocations accordingly.

Resident hunters contribute $230 million per year to the economy. Resident hunters spend their money in BC, while money given to guide-outfitters by non-residents is often shipped back to the foreign guides' homelands. Many GOs are American or European, or the outfit is bankrolled by foreigners, and that's where their money goes.

Non-resident estimates are between $45 million to $100 million, depending on whose numbers you believe (GOABC touts higher numbers as they suckhole to take meat away from BC families, numbers which were disproven by Chris Trumpy in his report to govt on the matter).

Wildlife is a public resource. It should not be privatized.

Return to “B.C.”