Racing Lamborghini crashes on Hwy 99

simnut
Übergod

Re: Racing Lamborghini crashes on Hwy 99

Post by simnut »

Midnite wrote:You DO realize we are all anonymous on here so we can all post what great drivers we are?
It seems everybody feels they are good drivers. Does a clean record determine who is a good driver? Personally I feel it has more to do with reflexes (reaction time) and awareness than a clean record.
One could easily be a factor in a collision without realizing it.
Heck my mother thought she was a good safe driver right to the day the doc had her license pulled. She wasn't.

Well, let's put it this way. I have the lives of sometimes 30 people...NOT of my own family in my hands, and I pride myself in being a good driver! Someones mother,daughter,father or son trust me to be a good driver. Part of me being a good driver is being ready to deal with the crap other drivers throw at me, which is constant! Part of the trick is to not let things bother you to the point you start yelling at other drivers.....learn to expect and deal with it.

Having a clean driving record commercially DOES mean you are a good driver! Commercially a driver deals with the same....."stuff".
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

I would agree that a clean driving record doesnt mean someone is a great driver.

Think about it like this, a driver gets their licence but hardly drives, when they do its only small trips to the grocery store or mall, and in the winter when road conditions are bad they take public transit. but they have a clean driving record with little actual driving experience.

Now on the other hand you have a driver that's job requires them to travel a lot and is on the road in all kinds of weather/road conditions, but in the that time they received a speeding ticket for being 8kph over, and another ticket for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, but they have lots of experience with no accidents

Out of the 2 who would be considered the better driver? The driver with a clean driving record with little to no real experience or the driver with some points against his record and a lot of experience?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Notice to all selfish "left lane hogs"

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/ ... story.html
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Gixxer wrote:Notice to all selfish "left lane hogs"

That's some of the best evidence ever posted in this entire thread.

"It is currently an offence under the Motor Vehicle Act to drive at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal movement of traffic, without moving to the right. The fine is $109."

What they are clearly saying is that if you are in the left lane and driving at such a slow speed as to impede or block the 'NORMAL' movement of traffic, without moving to the right. So it's perfectly legal to stay in the left lane as long as you are maintaining 'normal movement'.
This information could have saved 49 pages of people talking out their ***es simply guessing what the laws meant. I have to say that I wholeheartedly agree with the law too. I'm all for driving courteously, everyone should do it. Driving courteously for people going over the speed limit should not be a concern for anyone. Infact, the 'lane hogs' as you so eloquently called them that were in the video posted in this thread likely saw the speeding cars and out of safety reasons just maintained their course so as not to cause any quick lane changes by the speeding Lambo. Irregardless of what I think, the Lambo driver was obviously the only one at fault 'IF' the drivers in the left lane were maintaining 'normal movement of traffic'.

Our laws were written for the mostpart on common sense. If you're a heavy tractor trailor going up a hill (or down one for that matter) then please pull over to the right and let the speedier cars go by and maintain normal movement on our highways. If you're Gam Gams taking the grandchildren to a country fair and want to take it easy....keep right and let people maintain proper flow.

If you're obeying the speeds and maintaining normal movement, keeping to the right does not even apply to you. You will never find one person who got a ticket for driving in the left lane who was going the speed limit...and for good reason, it's not against the law.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Gixxer wrote:Notice to all selfish "left lane hogs"

Power is good, but the need to enforce it!! Sadly I do not see it happening, we have other laws which have been in place for years. The same story I hear, they are too busy. That will be the same with left lane drivers.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Ken7 wrote: ..., we have other laws which have been in place for years.
The same story I hear, they are too busy. That will be the same with left lane drivers.

Indeed. Police can target speeders using radar with one cop in one spot. Targeting those drivers who have appointed themselves as highway traffic regulators will take patrolling members- possibly in (what we used to call) "ghost cars".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Another way to deter speeders is to do what both Alberta & Saskatchewan have done, BC had photo-radar. It should be brought back.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

As far as I am concerned, EVERY overhead traffic sign on every highway should be outfitted with photo radar.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

ValB58 wrote:As far as I am concerned, EVERY overhead traffic sign on every highway should be outfitted with photo radar.

All that would do is slow them down when there is a sign. What they do in Holland is time cars between 2 points.
If you get there too fast you've been speeding and get a ticket.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Ever notice how many overhead traffic signs there are? Cameras can be aimed 2 kms. ahead of the "line of sight" of a driver.

You just don't know where they will be and where they are aimed. Most overhead signs, these days have power to them anyways, it wouldn't take much to add wi-fi and a radar to them. Some could be "dummy" units, the motoring public would just know which ones are real or not.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:Another way to deter speeders is to do what both Alberta & Saskatchewan have done, BC had photo-radar. It should be brought back.

that would be nice
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

What, no left lane hog charges ;)
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

obviously there were no left lane hogs, just idiot speeders.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Smurf wrote:obviously there were no left lane hogs, just idiot speeders.

Did you see the video clip? If you did you would obviously see left lane hogs in the clip.

Return to “B.C.”