Racing Lamborghini crashes on Hwy 99

Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Re: Racing Lamborghini crashes on Hwy 99

Post by Gixxer »

I know right now if I where to drive from Vernon to Kelowna at the posted speed limit, vehicles would pass me like I was standing still. The same would be true if I was going 10k over the limit
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Actually I had my cruise set at the speed limit and the speedometer was quite far off. Anyway I got lucky and they cancelled it. if at all possible I always try to set my cruise at the limit, never over. I am never in enough of a hurry to push it at all. At this stage of my life I am here strictly for the enjoyment and don't need the hassle. If I don't want to do something i don't. Just ask my wife. But I will go across the country for something we want to do. And will enjoy every minute of the drive. Even when I worked I left early enough not to have to speed. Always got there early and still do that everywhere we go.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Gixxer wrote:I know right now if I where to drive from Vernon to Kelowna at the posted speed limit, vehicles would pass me like I was standing still. The same would be true if I was going 10k over the limit

I was travelling down Hwy 33 from Hollywood to Hwy 97 yesterday. I was doing 63 in a 50 in the left lane. I was passed in the right lane, not twice but 3 times, like I was parked. I passed all 3 of them again as they were waiting for the light to turn left onto Hwy 97 (I went strait through).
Interesting observation based upon my experiment conceived by this thread.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Gixxer wrote:I know right now if I where to drive from Vernon to Kelowna at the posted speed limit, vehicles would pass me like I was standing still. The same would be true if I was going 10k over the limit

The only part I disagree with is the part "The same would be true if I was going 10k over..."

Likely 80% fewer vehicles would pass you if you were going 10k over, but there would be some. Even if you were driving the Lamborghini, there'd be someone who wanted to pass.

Moral, pick a speed you are comfortable with that likely won't get you in trouble and drive as much as you can in the right lane and be mindful and careful of the crazies but don't play their games.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Gixxer » 6 minutes ago

I know right now if I where to drive from Vernon to Kelowna at the posted speed limit, vehicles would pass me like I was standing still. The same would be true if I was going 10k over the limit

I agree Gixxer and that is exactly why i feel speeding is one of if not the most dangerous activities on our roads today. People who speed have no respect for anyone else around them, period. They are a total hazard on the road.

A few years ago I was going up a hill on number one highway on the way to Calgary, with a 35 foot motorhome towing a Tracker. I pulled out to pass a slower semi and was doing close to the speed limit. I did not even realize there was a car somewhere behind, could not see it in my mirrors. After I got by and could tell by watching in my mirror had a reasonable amount of space to pull back in I signaled and pulled back to the right. I instantly heard a horn and when I looked there was a small car starting to pass on the right. He was just coming up very fast along the side of my tracker. We avoided an accident but I'm sure he lost a lot of rubber and probably dirtied some shorts. I have no idea how fast he must have come up to get in that position as I was constantly watching my mirrors and the truck and never once saw him.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

my5cents » 23 minutes ago

Gixxer wrote:

The only part I disagree with is the part "The same would be true if I was going 10k over..."

Likely 80% fewer vehicles would pass you if you were going 10k over, but there would be some. Even if you were driving the Lamborghini, there'd be someone who wanted to pass.

Moral, pick a speed you are comfortable with that likely won't get you in trouble and drive as much as you can in the right lane and be mindful and careful of the crazies but don't play their games.

The problem still is all those people are still breaking the law. You should also have said a speed you are comfortable with that is at or below the speed limit.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I must ask seeing this whole thing has gone sideways.

Has anyone here posting received a ticket for any traffic violation in Kelowna in the past two years?

If so for what? Also as I did not see one RCMP car travelling from Kelowna to Vancouver and rarely do, have you ever been stopped on that highway?

End of day, if you have no enforcement do you believe people will follow the rules... amber lights even red appear only to be a suggestion in Kelowna is my observation.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Ken7 wrote:I must ask seeing this whole thing has gone sideways.

Has anyone here posting received a ticket for any traffic violation in Kelowna in the past two years?

If so for what? Also as I did not see one RCMP car travelling from Kelowna to Vancouver and rarely do, have you ever been stopped on that highway?

End of day, if you have no enforcement do you believe people will follow the rules... amber lights even red appear only to be a suggestion in Kelowna is my observation.

Clean drivers abstract since 2010.

As a commercial driver that's driven to the coast hundreds of times, Ive seen lots of vehicle pulled over on the Coq, as well as speed traps on busy weekends.

I've been to countries where there's little to no traffic laws, and it seems to work. If a driver tried to left lane hog they would be run of the road.
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

Gixxer wrote:Clean drivers abstract since 2010.

As a commercial driver that's driven to the coast hundreds of times, Ive seen lots of vehicle pulled over on the Coq, as well as speed traps on busy weekends.

I've been to countries where there's little to no traffic laws, and it seems to work. If a driver tried to left lane hog they would be run of the road.

4 years? That's it? Let's talk again in 36 years, when you catch up.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

ValB58 wrote:

I'm not 70
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Lol, all that wisdom from someone who has barely outgrown his N.
Black Dogs Matter
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Gixxer wrote:

Umm, doubtful if you have ever driven in the UAE where they would take an aggressive driver like you and eat you for a small breakfast. They LOVE to take speeding expats and box them in front and back and force them off the road - at a VERY high rate of speed. And, regardless of how 'fast' you are going, in the left or middle lane of a 3-lane roadway, they will come up behind you and bump you. Roundabouts to the Emiratis are through way streets even so the roundabouts there have 3 and 4 lanes. The carnage on the roadways there is unbelievable.

I drove there for almost 10 years and still wonder how I survived!

BTW: Clean abstract from age 16 on (passed my test first time which my older brother did not). More years than you have been on the face of the planet. But I still review the Driver's Manual and at my age, I want to be prepared to take a driving test should it be required. And I will pass. My kids, good drivers they are drive with me still and haven't yet suggested I hang up my keys.

BUT - Won't drive at night - I need the 3-point discrimination that my ophthalmologist agreed with due to my depth perception vision problem. He has the same problem and perhaps there are people out there like me who don't understand their physiologic limitations, eh?
Chill
ValB58
Banned

Post by ValB58 »

ValB58 wrote:

Gixxer wrote:I'm not 70

I see math is not your strong suit either.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

ValB58 wrote:
I see math is not your strong suit either.

I see humor is not your strong suit either
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

You DO realize we are all anonymous on here so we can all post what great drivers we are?
It seems everybody feels they are good drivers. Does a clean record determine who is a good driver? Personally I feel it has more to do with reflexes (reaction time) and awareness than a clean record.
One could easily be a factor in a collision without realizing it.
Heck my mother thought she was a good safe driver right to the day the doc had her license pulled. She wasn't.

Return to “B.C.”