Five things to know about B.C.’s unofficial boundaries

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Five things to know about B.C.’s unofficial boundaries

Post by Glacier »

http://globalnews.ca/news/1746160/5-thi ... ndaries-2/

This is fascinating stuff. Let's start with the Okanagan. The magical 97% of people think that Kelowna and Summerland are part of the Okanagan. I think this is what we call a consensus. Penticton is close at 96%, and Vernon and Winfield are still largely considered part of the Okanagan at 85 and 84 percent respectively.

Osoyoos and Oliver are significantly different with a lot of people saying they are part of the Similkameen or Boundary.

Lumby, Armstrong, and Enderby are quite interesting. Enderby and Lumby are part of the Shuswap drainage system, and parts of Armstrong are as well, which might explain the uncertainty as to which region they belong to.

As for the rest of the "things to know" the northern BC part is interesting. Why would so many more people consider Fort St John northern BC than Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, and Dease Lake?

White Rock is part of Metro Vancouver as far as I'm concerned. The start of Northern BC is somewhere north of Quesnel as far as I'm concerned. The Cariboo starts in Clinton in my opinion.

Discuss.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: 5 things to know about B.C.’s unofficial boundaries

Post by rustled »

Interesting. I think most "southerners" think of the north as starting somewhere around the Cariboo, but having lived north of Prince George I tend to think of that city as the dividing line where the north begins. Even though it's a full day's drive from Osoyoos to Smithers, there's another full day's drive from there to the Yukon border. (Apparently the true geographic center of B.C. is somewhere around Vanderhoof.) But thinking in terms of services, I'd say, "the north" starts well south of Quesnel :) .

I was surprised by the response to "Is Hope part of the Lower Mainland, or part of the interior?"
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Glacier wrote:White Rock is part of Metro Vancouver as far as I'm concerned.

That's okay. Most folks from Metro Vancouver don't distinguish the area from Penticton through to Vernon as anything other than "Kelowna".
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

driving up north between vanderhoof and smithers is nice...as well as through 100 mile house up to prince george...
Hmm maybe a nice little road trip up there this summer would be nice havnt been for 8 years...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

Return to “B.C.”