New life in BC?

GTAlex

New life in BC?

Post by GTAlex »

I lived in vancouver 2005-2007 and moved back to ontario. I regret this every day. Im thinking of starting a new life in bc again. Im really interested in the terrace and kitimat area but employment may be too low. I am a tradesman with no certificate. Id like to start an apprenticeship in bc as a plumber, electrician, millwright, or hd mechanic. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what area may offer me good chances of finding an apprenticeship, and be affordable? Anywhere but vancouver and fort st john are good for me.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: New life in bc?

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Best place I have found for looking for jobs in Canada is http://www.indeed.ca/

Good luck to you..
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Fort St John with an electrical ticket will provide plenty of work
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

terrace and kitimat are gearing up to build a lot of townhouses to start off ,

http://www.roilandinvestments.com/terrace-project/
GTAlex

Post by GTAlex »

Thanks for the replies folks. I'm hoping something may pan out in Kitimat. Rio Tinto Alcan looks like a great employer but I don't know how easily one can find an apprenticeship. I applied online but not holding my breath! I wonder if one could drive up to drop off a resume in person. I've heard that doing this in Fort McMurray works.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

lakevixen wrote:terrace and kitimat are gearing up to build a lot of townhouses to start off ,

http://www.roilandinvestments.com/terrace-project/

Already underway. Entire brand new subdivisions going in both places. Industry buildings going in brand new industrial parks (roads and sidewalks in last year) and many apprenticeship underway already in fields of electrical, sheet metal, mill wrights and piping. Still affordable housing (although my home value has already doubled in ten years). Large mining projects just hours away. Mountains, rivers and wilderness at your back door and the coast and hour and a half away (a great drive). One days drive will get you to Watson Lake and the Yukon. Another day will get you to Whitehorse. Definitely a drive worth making.

We get less snow here than Kelowna, but we can get huge dumps sometimes. We do get more rain (Vancouver like) and our shoulder seasons are noticeably not the same as summer. Summers are nice and spectacular golf is very affordable.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

GTAlex wrote:Thanks for the replies folks. I'm hoping something may pan out in Kitimat. Rio Tinto Alcan looks like a great employer but I don't know how easily one can find an apprenticeship. I applied online but not holding my breath! I wonder if one could drive up to drop off a resume in person. I've heard that doing this in Fort McMurray works.

Come with enough cash to get you by for four to eight weeks and then get around to the employers shops/sites. If your resume looks like you describe you will be working soon. How things turn out will be up to you but the opportunities are here now.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

GTAlex wrote:I lived in vancouver 2005-2007 and moved back to ontario. I regret this every day. Im thinking of starting a new life in bc again. Im really interested in the terrace and kitimat area but employment may be too low. I am a tradesman with no certificate. Id like to start an apprenticeship in bc as a plumber, electrician, millwright, or hd mechanic. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what area may offer me good chances of finding an apprenticeship, and be affordable? Anywhere but vancouver and fort st john are good for me.

I would go with HD mechanic. Get a job almost anywhere and pays decent wages.

Return to “B.C.”