Price for camping going up?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Price for camping going up?

Post by Bsuds »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/131229/ ... -cost-more

So why are our Provincial Parks charging so much for a spot with few amenities?
I can go to an RV park with full hook ups (power/water/sewer) for the same or sometimes even less.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Price for camping going up?

Post by Randall T »

Saw that and wondered the same thing. They say it's to maintain the same level of service. As they haven't added any new "services", then that would pretty much leave increased labour and administration costs. My bet would be on the latter.
I birn quil I se
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Bsuds wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/131229/Pitching-a-tent-to-cost-more

So why are our Provincial Parks charging so much for a spot with few amenities?
I can go to an RV park with full hook ups (power/water/sewer) for the same or sometimes even less.

Considering the idiot ratio in some of the Provincial campsites , its almost better to go private .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

I dont think it is qute fair to compare camping in a private lot with camping in a provincial site. I do both (35' trailer) and, while their are more services at the private sites, I have trouble putting out my slide and awning both at some spots I've been in. The number of site per acre is vastly different. Even Bear Creek, where they are fairly tight, is nothing compared to Wood Lake.

For shorter stays (weekends) I prefer Provincial even though it is more money.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I know everyone has their own preferences but still think they are charging too much for what they provide in services.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I wouldn't mind paying more if the extra money went back into the parks, but it won't it'll just go back to general revenue. It's got very little to do with labour costs either because 95% of the work done in the parks is contracted out.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Bsuds wrote:I know everyone has their own preferences but still think they are charging too much for what they provide in services.

$32/night at Fintry and Ellison in Vernon is absolutely outrageous its rediculous
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

One hundred percent of the camping fees go to the private contractor (Park Facility Operators) who you see running the park campgrounds. In years where revenues are below a projected level (i.e. it's an exceptionally rainy camping season) the government makes up for any shortfalls in revenue. If it's a really busy camping season, the contractor pockets the extra. So essentially the contractor is guaranteed a set amount of income with virtually no risk.

These increases will only do one thing. They will provide increased revenue for the contractor. They will do NOTHING to help with maintenance of the existing infrastructure. Infrastructure maintenance is funded by the government. Other than what is designated as a "minor repair", the contractor does not have to foot the bill for any of the infrastructure upkeep. And with the increase to the camping fees, the projected minimum revenue for the contractor will be adjusted accordingly.

So in the end, park users are not going to see anything beneficial as a result of these fee increases.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

KL3-Something wrote:One hundred percent of the camping fees go to the private contractor (Park Facility Operators) who you see running the park campground.

A friend of mine who is a parks facilitator-contractor tells me that he only gets to keep the fees up to the point it covers his bid for the season, if there's any extra it goes to government. Most of the BC parks campsites make must be making good money, they'll always full..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

IIRC, budget cuts would be to blame. So I wouldn't complain to the parks people.

Back country camping fees aren't being changed, so I couldn't care less. I don't consider anything else to count as "camping". ;) :P
Your bias suits you.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Camping isn't kamping unless you're at a K.O.A.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Atomoa wrote:Camping isn't kamping unless you're at a K.O.A.

They are generally high priced as well.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

may as well just stay in a hotel
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

With the current costs of camping, fishing licences, and beer, our rights as Canadians are slowly being siphoned away by the BC bureaucracy. Where's the BCCLA when you really need them?
I birn quil I se
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Randall T wrote:With the current costs of camping, fishing licences, and beer, our rights as Canadians are slowly being siphoned away by the BC bureaucracy. Where's the BCCLA when you really need them?

LOL

Return to “B.C.”