Says She'd Consider Going Out Of Bounds Again

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Says She'd Consider Going Out Of Bounds Again

Post by maryjane48 »

Julie Abrahamsen, the Norwegian snowboarder who spent three icy nights in the Whistler backcountry before being rescued, says she'd consider going out of bounds again.

Abrahamsen, 21, told CBC News that she's "too enthusiastic when the powder is there on the mountains" and acknowledged what she did was stupid.

She said she learned a lesson and would go into the backcountry again — as long as she had the right gear, and was accompanied by two people who know the area, reported CBC.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/27 ... h-columbia
my5cents
Guru

Re: Says She'd Consider Going Out Of Bounds Again

Post by my5cents »

It's a toughie, what do you do ?

Charge those who go out of bounds with huge fines and ban them from the mountain ? For that, you'd need someone in authority out of bounds catching people, because if you only charge those who call for help, then they won't call and it wouldn't be "politically correct" to wait til spring and pick up their remains.

This is much like the police calling off car chases when they get to dangerous. Does that not create a situation where a crooks not wanting to get caught to drive dangerously so the police will stop chasing them ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ah ... to be young and reckless again ... sigh :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

im not sure what you do, i have been lost myself hiking and it sure wasn't fun , we got ourselves out , but there were few hours of terror involved lol
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I figure she can do as she wishes as long as she foots the next (and this last) rescue bill.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

REMOVED/
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jan 30th, 2015, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Has anyone in command had the good sense to fire off a search bill to this foreign bimbo?
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

I don't get it?

One constant thats seems to keep popping up in the news, is rescues of snowmobilers and quad riders in the bush and back country. Helicopter evacs, search and rescue crews.

No one on here ever comes on and starts harping about making them pay. And there have been quite a few around the okanagan lately. A couple with fatal consequences.

What is the difference, both people chose to adventure in woods.

Now if you posters would jump on all back woods users, your arguement might have a leg to stand on. But to single out skiers and snowboarders and ignore the rest, says a lot.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Time to cut off her ski hill pass.

Cut it in two, right in front of her. Send her home.

I don't care if it's to her new condo on the hill. She can't ski or snowboard there any freaking more.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

yaktak wrote:I don't get it?

One constant thats seems to keep popping up in the news, is rescues of snowmobilers and quad riders in the bush and back country. Helicopter evacs, search and rescue crews.

No one on here ever comes on and starts harping about making them pay. And there have been quite a few around the okanagan lately. A couple with fatal consequences.

Now if you posters would jump on all back woods users, your arguement might have a leg to stand on. But to single out skiers and snowboarders and ignore the rest, says a lot.

skiers and snowboarders choose to go outside of the area they supposed be in, atv ans ski doers have no out of bounds unless go on someones private property
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

yaktak wrote:I don't get it?

some of the or most of the DAS people whom get lost for one reason or another are TAX payers.This bimbo is a foreigner
and should pay for the search
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

lakevixen wrote:skiers and snowboarders choose to go outside of the area they supposed be in, atv ans ski doers have no out of bounds unless go on someones private property

Spoken like a true couch potato, who has no idea of the outdoors.

So crown land is only for snowmobilers and atv's? I don't see the difference here. Both types of activities take place in the back country of british columbia. Why is one type cart blanche, and the other make the stupid *bleep* pay. What about the two stupid *bleep* that ran into each other on snowmobiles out in the middle of nowhere. Why are you not demanding that they pay for their rescue too? They chose to go out there that day.

Where do you draw the line and whats makes people here the ones to draw it?
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

wanderingman wrote:some of the or most of the DAS people whom get lost for one reason or another are TAX payers.This bimbo is a foreigner
and should pay for the search

Not really true, this topic always comes up whenever a skier or snowboarder needs a rescue. Nationality may play a roll in it for you today, but it doesn't seem to in general.
yaktak
Fledgling

Post by yaktak »

Queen K wrote:Time to cut off her ski hill pass.

Cut it in two, right in front of her. Send her home.

I don't care if it's to her new condo on the hill. She can't ski or snowboard there any freaking more.

What about all the people who have been rescued for one reason or another that does not involve skiing or snowboarding?

Return to “B.C.”