Anniversary Announcements on Global

my5cents
Guru

Anniversary Announcements on Global

Post by my5cents »

Interesting thing happened today.

We've all seen the birthday announcements and wedding anniversary announcements on CHBC during the evening news. They are done by whoever is doing the weather.

I think the rule is 100th birthday and 50th or so wedding anniversary (not sure).

Very understandable, that they couldn't do announcements for anything under a 100th birthday or they'd fill the hour with birthday wishes.

However..... today is my wife's mother and father's 60th wedding anniversary.

In error she sent the request for the announcement to Global Vancouver.

We were very surprised to get their response. "Christy doesn't announce wedding anniversaries unless they are the 70th or higher" (I gather "Christy" is the weather girl) Wow. That will pretty well eliminate most of the wedding anniversary announcements won't it ?

The average life expectancy is mid 70's to early 80's so we would have to have two people who exceed that by 20 years and were married to each other and stayed so.

Hell even the Queen will send congratulations for a 60th wedding anniversary, but not "queen Christy" of Global Vancouver.

Guess they're too busy reporting all the crime down there. Don't miss it for a second.

My wife, now being aware that she didn't send the request to CHBC, did so, and it will be on tonight.

So kudos to CHBC.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Anniversary Announcements on Global

Post by FreeRights »

I'd rather the meteorologist be that instead of a wedding singer myself, so I personally don't think that it's a big deal at all anyway.

It's probably not even the weather person's call, it's likely the policies of the station.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Get rid of all the human interest stories. I just want to watch the news not some fluff piece.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

WhenWhatWho wrote:Get rid of all the human interest stories. I just want to watch the news not some fluff piece.

Amen ... if I wanted birthday wishes and tra-la-la I'd watch the Today Show or Good Morning Pleasantville or something like that.

But regardless, congrats to your mom and pop in-law's 60th :)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Thanks Dizzy1.

To those who were of the opinion that news should be left to news, I actually agree. My point was if you are going to provide congrats for anniversaries, it's a bit strange to limit them to an occasion that is virtually impossible. But I guess it could be said that "yes, a 70th is so unusual that it makes it news".
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have an Aunt and Uncle who will be celebrating their 70th on Sept 22nd!
So it is possible and 60 yrs is pretty damn awesome too!

Congrats to both.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

For any couples to be celebrating 50+ anniversary, and individuals celebrating 90+ birthdays. Congratulations

For myself those who I want to know this info already would, I don't need it advertised on TV and/or radio.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote:To those who were of the opinion that news should be left to news, I actually agree. My point was if you are going to provide congrats for anniversaries, it's a bit strange to limit them to an occasion that is virtually impossible. But I guess it could be said that "yes, a 70th is so unusual that it makes it news".

I'm guessing that in a province with over 4 million people, and half of those over the age of 80 (judging by the number old folks I see walking way), that there are simply too many people celebrating 60 year anniversaries to announce them all without distrusting the weather report.

60 is still pretty impressive in my books.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:I'm guessing that in a province with over 4 million people, and half of those over the age of 80 (judging by the number old folks I see walking way), that there are simply too many people celebrating 60 year anniversaries to announce them all without distrusting the weather report.
60 is still pretty impressive in my books.

This is all I could find on the subject, somewhat dated and from England and Wales....

Latest statistics (published December 2012) estimate that 42% of marriages in England and Wales end in divorce. It is also estimated that:
•34% of marriages are expected to end in divorce by the 20th wedding anniversary.
•An additional 6% of marriages are expected to end by the 20th wedding anniversary because one of the spouses has died.
•Therefore 60% of marriages are expected to survive to the 20th anniversary.
•16% of marriages reach the 60th wedding anniversary.
•The average marriage is expected to last for 32 years.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

If we assume 40% of people get married, and 16% of those make it to 60 years, that would mean that 128,000 people in BC have been married 60 years, or about 350 per day. That's a lot of announcing to do!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:If we assume 40% of people get married, and 16% of those make it to 60 years, that would mean that 128,000 people in BC have been married 60 years, or about 350 per day. That's a lot of announcing to do!

The numbers are larger than I thought, but I don't think anything near what you've indicated.

You did account for 1/2 of 40% (I don't know if that % is correct but we'll go with 40%) of people get married. ie, if 40% of a class of 100 get married to their class mates, that's 40 people, so that's 20 marriages.

Then since we're talking about the 60 anniversary in 2015, we would need the population of BC in 1955 ?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yes, you're right about using 1955. I was using 4 million, but 1955 had more like 1 million. On the upside, 80% of people got married so my number is only twice as high.

80% X 16% / 2 X 1,000,000 = 64,000.
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Glacier wrote:Yes, you're right about using 1955. I was using 4 million, but 1955 had more like 1 million. On the upside, 80% of people got married so my number is only twice as high.

80% X 16% / 2 X 1,000,000 = 64,000.

So that would be 32,000 anniversaries -/+

I still don't think it's that high. In my entire family and circle of friends. I know of only two couples that made it over 60. The one who is the subject of this topic and my best friends, mom and dad who made it 71 years.

My grand parents who remained married until my grandmother's death, only made it 55 years.

As for me, even if I added up the years of marriage to all my wives, I will never make 60.

Currently I believe the marriage rate is going down, however life expectancy is going up, don't know what that will bring.
Tero
Board Meister

Post by Tero »

Bsuds wrote:I have an Aunt and Uncle who will be celebrating their 70th on Sept 22nd!
So it is possible and 60 yrs is pretty damn awesome too!

Congrats to both.

My grandparents got married on D-Day. They just had their 70th wedding anniversary last June. (and got lots of public well wishes!!)

Return to “B.C.”