ICBC top claim frauds

psychprof
Fledgling

ICBC top claim frauds

Post by psychprof »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#131740

DNA analysis? Cellphone tracking? Facial recognition software? These are some mighty expensive technologies all to avoid paying out a few thousand. I wonder how many time these investigations are carried out and the claimant is innocent. Guess who foots that bill!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: ICBC top claim fauds

Post by Captain Awesome »

psychprof wrote:DNA analysis? Cellphone tracking? Facial recognition software? These are some mighty expensive technologies all to avoid paying out a few thousand. I wonder how many time these investigations are carried out and the claimant is innocent. Guess who foots that bill!

Guess who foots the bill if they don't do it and pay out the claims.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

psychprof wrote:DNA analysis? Cellphone tracking? Facial recognition software? These are some mighty expensive technologies all to avoid paying out a few thousand. I wonder how many time these investigations are carried out and the claimant is innocent. Guess who foots that bill!

Did you read the article before posting it?

"In 2014, ICBC's two special investigation units advanced 131 charges to Crown counsel against 100 defendants, maintaining an average conviction rate of 90 per cent."

So, claimants are deemed innocent 10% of the time - pretty impressive. I'd also like to point out that cell phone tracking and DNA testing aren't expensive, (and are reimbursed 90% of the time per above).
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I hope they keep it up. Even if it does cost a bit it's worth it to catch the criminals and prosecute them. They should advertise it, with names if possible, it might detour others. I would sooner pay a bit to that than all the money the government steals from ICBC which keeps making our rates go up. Then they try to brag about how low our taxes are and they're balancing the books. That to me is also a crime and ICBC should be able to charge them also.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

The article is deceiving. I'm sure the stats for charges and convictions are all correct, but don't forget, ICBC doesn't have to convict someone of criminal fraud to deny a claim.

Even the 10% who were found not guilty, were found not CRIMINALLY guilty, on the civil scale it is not "beyond a reasonable doubt", it a "degree of probability". So even after they were acquitted by a criminal court ICBC may not have paid their claim.

Lots of evidence that may not be admissible in a criminal trial is fully admissible in a civil trial.

Also some of those charged and found not guilty may have lied to their adjuster and the courts deemed the circumstances didn't meet the standard for a criminal conviction, but the false statement given to ICBC would still breach the coverage.

No stats were given for civil suits. There have been many many civil suits where ICBC has sued claimants, even when they didn't charge criminally or they have counter sued claimants and received judgments of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

As for facial recognition, ICBC is responsible for all BC driver's licenses and BC ID. Every time a photo is taken it is checked for "twins" in the system. Sometimes it is an actual twin, sometimes two people are very similar. Who would use facial recognition more than ICBC ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Why would anyone complain about ICBC, or any other such organization, identifying and prosecuting or denying the claim of outright crooks ?? Go for it ICBC, and if you have to charge a little more to identify more crooks I'll gladly pay a little more.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Donald G wrote:Why would anyone complain about ICBC, or any other such organization, identifying and prosecuting or denying the claim of outright crooks ?? Go for it ICBC, and if you have to charge a little more to identify more crooks I'll gladly pay a little more.

Actually ICBC's Special Investigation Unit more than pays for itself. About 3 or 4 to 1.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: ICBC top claim frauds

Post by Donald G »

To my5cents ...

IMO every crook hunting organization or body pays for itself.

Sometimes just not in the form of money.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Donald G wrote:To my5cents ...

IMO every crook hunting organization or body pays for itself.

Sometimes just not in the form of money.

I agree with you Donald. In this case morally and financially the SIU pays for itself.

The hard part about insurance fraud is that the insurance company doesn't always know when they've been defrauded, so it's difficult not only to investigate but to quantify.

Every time the Royal Bank is robbed they sure as heck know they were robbed.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

one thing they also do but wont say in public is profile people which in my opinion is one of the best tools out there
wha

Post by wha »

I'd still like to see a cost/benefit analysis as well as some source citations for all these stats being tossed around. Looks like the DNA analysis cost $18,000. What if the guy had been innocent?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

wha wrote:I'd still like to see a cost/benefit analysis as well as some source citations for all these stats being tossed around. Looks like the DNA analysis cost $18,000. What if the guy had been innocent?

I would think before they put out that kind of money there would have to be overwhelming evidence and that would only be the icing on the cake!!

It's like bringing in the victim who is almost cripple and then showing them videos where they are jumping off houseboats and down hill skiing. Go figure, file closed no claim paid.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

wha wrote:I'd still like to see a cost/benefit analysis as well as some source citations for all these stats being tossed around. Looks like the DNA analysis cost $18,000. What if the guy had been innocent?

DNA tests cost about $400 a sample. So some blood on the rear view mirror and a swab from the owner would be $800.

Return to “B.C.”