What is the difference between Fortis and BC Hydro

menacar

Re: What is the difference between Fortis and BC Hydro

Post by menacar »

rustled wrote:Thought this might be helpful:

Some utilities companies allow you to set up an "equal payment" plan. This really helps avoid the big winter heating bills.

If your utility company does not offer one, you can set it up your own. Find out what cost for (for example) electricity for your home for an entire year, divide that by 11 (not 12), and begin paying that amount when the bills are getting smaller than that amount (for me, it's May). Over the spring, summer and fall, you will build up a nice cushion. Then in the winter, you will continue to pay the same amount, gradually using that cushion up. (My bills always show a "credit" amount and I always get the early-payment discount, which is nice, but what I really like is not having to pay big bills in winter with "huge" bills three months in a row.)

You'll still want to keep an eye on the monthly bills to make sure there's enough of a cushion, but not too big of one, and remember to re-calculate each April. When I divided by 12 I'd usually have to pay a little extra in March or April, but now that I use 11 I can usually reduce my May payment because my cushion is bigger than it needs to be.

I've found this really helps me keep my monthly budget from going sideways over the winter, with the extras associated with the holiday season etc.

If you rent or lease, I'm not sure what happens if you move while you have a cushion, so please check with your utility company about how you'd get a refund. If you decide to sell while your cushion is built up, that amount would be included as a credit to you in your final sale settlement.

This was a really good idea, thank you.

I just had one other question. Someone mentioned that water is included as part of our property taxes and I did read about this on the city's webpage. In my town, property taxes are divided into a separate water bill and then a property tax bill.

I assume that this water bill is for just cold water and everyone pays the same amount, regardless of how little or how much you use?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Every community seems to be different! I've lived in communities where water was included at a flat rate as part of the annual tax bill (water, sewer and garbage collection), so you paid it with your taxes.

Here, some homes (those with crawlspaces) were until recently unmetered and paid a flat rate, billed monthly, based (I think) on what their metered neighbours used. Metered users paid a smaller monthly bill most months, but had an additional amount, based on their actual use, added on in February and October. (They've been phasing out the "unmetered" properties here.) I expect there may also be communities where the bill reflects the metered use every month?

If your community bills the way ours does (with 10 small and 2 large bills), you can still create an equal payment system so you aren't getting hit with a bigger bill twice a year, just as you could for your heating bill: divide your usual annual total and start paying that amount the month after your biggest bill has been paid. (For me, that means start making balanced payments in November.) With water, it's not as extreme a jump as the heating bill, but to me it just makes more sense to avoid taking big hits if I can. Sure, I can put it in my savings account. But for some reason that will always be the same month the sewer needs roto-rooting, or the oven needs a new element, or something!) and it's just easier for me to know the essentials are covered.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

I've taken a bit of time today to look a bit more carefully at my Fortis and BC Hydro bill. The hydro bill is reasonable, it comes every 2 months I see and it is approximately $60/month which isn't bad for a 2,200 square foot home I figure.

It is however the Fortis bill that seems a bit high at nearly $200/month. I did check and we have hot water and radiant heat that are both gas powered so I suspect these are the biggest reasons for the higher bills in the winter time.

you will be paying a lot lot more than 60$ every two months in fact you most likely will pay $60 per month
if you have a washer/dryer,deep freeze, fridge,stove, couple TV. lights on, micro wave, ironing, etc
Central AC but if your radiant heat u most likely don't have AC
set up your hydro account on the interent and you can view your daily consumption. small useage will be around 30-kwh per day or 900 PM = will be around 90$ with tax etc
OtisDriftwood

Post by OtisDriftwood »

Hi All, I'm very new to this group and have been reading these posts regarding Fortis & BC Hydro. Very informative, and some very good tips, thank you very much!
I too have a question to the group, I have just purchased a new home (well, 4 months ago now) and am having some difficulty in determining the cost savings between the two service providers. Not enough time yet to compare monthly costs of both.
My home has both suppliers because my hot water system is a gas fired 'on demand' unit, but my home heating and cooling is an electric forced air furnace in conjunction with a heat pump. Also, we have a gas fired fireplace in the living room. We are finding that the fireplace does an excellent job of heating and results in the electric furnace working far less often. The cooking is gas range & oven as well.
I'm unsure at this point if arrangement this is saving me money. Should I try to use the gas as much as possible (I.E.: Fireplace instead of electric forced air furnace), or is the electric more economical? As they say in Game of Thrones...Winter is coming!
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

OtisDriftwood wrote: Nov 20th, 2015, 7:36 pm Hi All, I'm very new to this group and have been reading these posts regarding Fortis & BC Hydro. Very informative, and some very good tips, thank you very much!
I too have a question to the group, I have just purchased a new home (well, 4 months ago now) and am having some difficulty in determining the cost savings between the two service providers. Not enough time yet to compare monthly costs of both.
My home has both suppliers because my hot water system is a gas fired 'on demand' unit, but my home heating and cooling is an electric forced air furnace in conjunction with a heat pump. Also, we have a gas fired fireplace in the living room. We are finding that the fireplace does an excellent job of heating and results in the electric furnace working far less often. The cooking is gas range & oven as well.
I'm unsure at this point if arrangement this is saving me money. Should I try to use the gas as much as possible (I.E.: Fireplace instead of electric forced air furnace), or is the electric more economical? As they say in Game of Thrones...Winter is coming!
I’m a gas fitter. Use the gas!!!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Heating your home with electricity will cost $4,000 per year heating the same home with gas less than $2000. That's how it works for me. But I use the gas because I don't want to spend an extra $2,000 a year.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Glacier and Tankur -- you do realize this topic is 6 yrs old? But good advice regardless.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

just popping in wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 1:13 pm Glacier and Tankur -- you do realize this topic is 6 yrs old? But good advice regardless.
This topic never gets old. Here is what my gas bills look like.

Note: These electricity equivalent is based on comparing a gas system at 80% efficiency for gas and electricity at 100%.
gas1.png
gas2.png
gas3.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Quite a comparison on heating costs and look at the taxes on taxes....
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

just popping in wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 1:46 pm Quite a comparison on heating costs and look at the taxes on taxes....
Yup, I pay $16.41 in tax on the tax!
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

My fairy tale tax this month was almost $30! Imagine taxing natural gas, a clean burning fuel that causes zero harm to the environment. It's just so stupid.

I'm on Fortis BTW.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 3:22 pm My fairy tale tax this month was almost $30! Imagine taxing natural gas, a clean burning fuel that causes zero harm to the environment. It's just so stupid.

I'm on Fortis BTW.
The government needs revenues to replace all the conservative write-offs and deferrals.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 4:27 pm

The government needs revenues to replace all the conservative write-offs and deferrals.
No they don't. This is just silly. If they have to tax something, tax something that exists, not fairy tales.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “B.C.”