Dangerous offenders

jamapple
Übergod

Dangerous offenders

Post by jamapple »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#133511

So, he is considered dangerous, expected to re-offend, etc etc, and yet put into a 1/2 way house. If this is the first time this has ever happed, ok, but this is just happening all too many times. If they are labelled as re-offenders, why the hell are these people allowed to go out and commit further crimes against us??
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Dangerous offenders

Post by Randall T »

And then there's this http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#133605

The problem appears to be psychiatrists who appear to live in a different world than the rest of us and think they are of a higher intelligence level.
I birn quil I se
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It's actually more complicated than described.

An offender has to complete their prison sentence, and if they are a high-risk offender, the experts can label them that, but due to the Criminal Code and Charter of Rights & Freedoms, the courts cannot "keep you" in custody longer for crimes that you haven't committed yet. The medical experts and the court system are two distinct, different groups - one can provide insights into a person's likelihood of re-offending, while the other is bound by laws in regards to whether, and how, to release from incarceration.

One thing I'd like to point out, medical experts don't "think that they are of a higher intelligence level" at all. What they are, though, is better than you and I on assessing a person's likelihood to re-offend. I don't have the stats, but I would suggest that more often than not, they are actually accurate in their assessment.

I reiterate, if medical experts deem somebody low risk to re-offend, that doesn't mean that they are free to go. That is strictly up to the courts, who would take into account the result of the court case, case law, and the Criminal Code and Charter of Rights and Freedoms to determine whether a person is eligible. Unfortunately, as much as a lot of people on here think they do, they are not able to make these sorts of decisions willy-nilly, there's actually a process and a precedent that exists that they typically have to follow.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
yupa

Post by yupa »

I tell ya if they let that sicko out who killed his kids in merrit, there are many people in the interior who WILL assault him on sight. I hope they let him out, someone needs to put a quick end to his drain on society.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

FreeRights wrote:One thing I'd like to point out, medical experts don't "think that they are of a higher intelligence level" at all. What they are, though, is better than you and I on assessing a person's likelihood to re-offend. I don't have the stats, but I would suggest that more often than not, they are actually accurate in their assessment.

I reiterate, if medical experts deem somebody low risk to re-offend, that doesn't mean that they are free to go. That is strictly up to the courts, who would take into account the result of the court case, case law, and the Criminal Code and Charter of Rights and Freedoms to determine whether a person is eligible. Unfortunately, as much as a lot of people on here think they do, they are not able to make these sorts of decisions willy-nilly, there's actually a process and a precedent that exists that they typically have to follow.

It appears he's headed on the path to be eventually released by the Manitoba Criminal Review Board. My point is that a person who has cut off a stranger's head with a knife and mutilated him because the voice in his head told him to will never be sane, no matter what the professionals say. A sane person could not live a normal life knowing that. Sorry, but I think anyone who can come to the conclusion this man can be rehabilitated and released in society is suffering from God complex. It really doesn't take a degree in Psychology to figure out he should be institutionalized for the rest of his life, just common sense.

Quoted from the recent story:

Federal Heritage Minister Shelly Glover, who is member of Parliament for the Manitoba riding of Saint Boniface, issued a statement late Friday expressing concern about letting Li "walk freely amongst innocent Canadians."

"Vince Li beheaded a man," said Glover. "For the second time this week, I would like to clarify that this type of situation is exactly why we made changes to the Criminal Code in the Not Criminally Responsible Reform Act.

"It is unacceptable that dangerous and violent offenders are released into our communities, when they pose a threat to society."
I birn quil I se
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Once capable, twice capable...no matter how much treatment!
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

simnut wrote:Once capable, twice capable...no matter how much treatment!

Not always true.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

FreeRights wrote:Not always true.

I believe so, unless drugged into submission or something like that. If a person has it in them to do something once, they have it in them to do it again...it is a part of their being.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

simnut wrote:
I believe so, unless drugged into submission or something like that. If a person has it in them to do something once, they have it in them to do it again...it is a part of their being.

What if the first action was as a result of an untreated mental illness? Or a drug dependency? Both of which can be treated.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

jamapple wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-133511-3-.htm#133511

So, he is considered dangerous, expected to re-offend, etc etc, and yet put into a 1/2 way house. If this is the first time this has ever happed, ok, but this is just happening all too many times. If they are labelled as re-offenders, why the hell are these people allowed to go out and commit further crimes against us??

It may be better to house them in a 1/2 way house with supports to integrate them back into society than to just release them when their sentence runs out. Most of those in jail are there for crimes they have been convicted of committing, not because they may commit a crime in the future. That's the way the law works.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Which one of you wants to volunteer to have this great "cured" person come and live with you it might help his chances of getting out. I will guarantee you it won't be me because I do not believe he is cured or ever curable. I wish the parole board or anyone else who has anything to do with his release would have to serve the same future sentences as him or anyone else they let loose if they commit any future crimes. Any doctors involved should also have to serve the same punishment.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”