Cop complaint review needed

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Cop complaint review needed

Post by maryjane48 »

A legislative committee is calling on the British Columbia government to review the inner-workings of its independent police oversight agency, as complaints of "operational dysfunction" and high staff turnover overshadow the organization.

The Independent Investigations Office opened in 2012 with a mandate to investigate cases in which people are seriously injured or killed by police officers. Its creation followed several high-profile cases involving in-custody deaths.

But the agency has suffered from significant human-resources problems that could threaten the office's ability to do its job, says an all-party legislative committee's report, which was released Monday.

The report notes 15 employees quit in the office's first two years of operation, which the agency's civilian director, Richard Rosenthal, acknowledged was due in part to conflict within the agency.

"Primary areas of concern include: a lack of confidence in senior leadership," says the committee's report, citing the findings of the agency's own reviews.

Other problems identified in the report include: "Cultural conflict between employees having backgrounds in a police culture and staff from a public service culture; the need for better conflict resolution and communication; and requirements to improve administrative processes and directives."

The government's Public Service Agency is already investigating a series of employee complaints.

The committee's report recommends the Justice Ministry review human-resources practices within the agency and report back in a year to outline what has been done to address the problems.

The report notes Rosenthal has taken steps to implement previous recommendations from the Justice Institute of British Columbia.

Justice Minister Suzanne Anton declined to comment on the specific complaints, saying those are best left to the Public Service Agency, but she said the Independent Investigations Office does a good job.

"I have confidence in the office," she said following the report's release.

"It's doing a good job for the citizens of B.C."

Mike Farnworth of the Opposition NDP said the Liberal government needs to act immediately.

"Now that we've got this report, I think it needs to have immediate attention in terms of what changes can be put in place now," said Farnworth.

Farnworth acknowledged some issues could require legislative changes to address, and he said the government should make that a priority.

Other recommendations for the provincial government include:

Aggressively pursuing the use of body-worn cameras for police officers.
In exceptional cases, slightly relaxing rules that prevent police officers who have been out of law enforcement for less than five years from being appointed as investigators.
Routine reviews of the office's work every six years by a legislative committee.
http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/133627/Cop-complaint-review-needed

i could get behind this , the more transparent and fair looking , the better for the police , and better for people of bc peace of mind
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Cop complaint review needed

Post by FreeRights »

The more, and most efficient, oversight the better. If tightening their own oversight and establishing administrative boundaries will affect that, I'm in support.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

A legislative committee is calling on the British Columbia government to review the inner-workings of its independent police oversight agency, as complaints of "operational dysfunction" and high staff turnover overshadow the organization.

The Independent Investigations Office opened in 2012 with a mandate to investigate cases in which people are seriously injured or killed by police officers.

Is anyone other than me concerned with the parameters of the types of incidents that are to be investigated ?

For example a woman is stopped for a traffic infraction and told if she agrees to a "date" the ticket will go away..... Not investigated by the IIO, she wasn't injured or killed. A cop is selling and transporting drugs while on duty.... Not investigated by the IIO, nobody seriously injured or killed. I believe the BC parameters for the IIO were copied from Ontario, as many of our "new" and "innovative" laws have in the past.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

my5cents wrote:Is anyone other than me concerned with the parameters of the types of incidents that are to be investigated ?

For example a woman is stopped for a traffic infraction and told if she agrees to a "date" the ticket will go away..... Not investigated by the IIO, she wasn't injured or killed. A cop is selling and transporting drugs while on duty.... Not investigated by the IIO, nobody seriously injured or killed. I believe the BC parameters for the IIO were copied from Ontario, as many of our "new" and "innovative" laws have in the past.

I think we could focus on fixing the IIO before we begin looking at expanding their scope.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

FreeRights wrote:I think we could focus on fixing the IIO before we begin looking at expanding their scope.

I don't think either is a difficult fix. Couldn't both be fixed ?

...add "or any criminal act" & fire his *bleep*, plus take a good look at whoever hired him. When Rosenthal was announced as the director, it was widely reported that he had nothing but problems at other agencies.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

The Independent Investigations Office opened in 2012 with a mandate to investigate cases in which people are seriously injured or killed by police officers. Its creation followed several high-profile cases involving in-custody deaths.

well hows that working out for you all??
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

LOOK we see inept cops do stupid things every day of our lives.Its pathetic that we hire such deadbeats and yet fail to control these idiots(bad cops) when they do bad and then our so called IIO and the sorry lot fail us even more miserable than the police whos being investigated
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

It's also up to the general public to be responsible enough to not put themselves in a position which requires police intervention, either criminally or by their own outright stupidity.
I birn quil I se
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

wanderingman wrote:well hows that working out for you all??

I don't know. How is it working out?

Other than the workplace infighting (which NEVER happens in ANY other workplace ANYWHERE, does it?), what is the quality of the investigations like?

I've seen a few police officers get charged. I've seen a few be exonerated, either by the IIO not forwarding a Report to Crown Counsel, or by going to trial and being found not guilty.

It would be nice if they handled all forms of police misconduct. But at this point that just isn't their mandate.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Randall T wrote:It's also up to the general public to be responsible enough to not put themselves in a position which requires police intervention, either criminally or by their own outright stupidity.

totally totally irrelevant to the topic at hand
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

It was in response to your accusations of police stupidity.
I birn quil I se

Return to “B.C.”