North Vancouver School Yard Confrontation

Sige
Übergod

Re: North Vancouver School Yard Confrontation

Post by Sige »

I was on the PAC that fundraised for a new playground at West Rutland Elementary (some of you may remember this little gem of a school). We got the new playground and they ended up eventually closing the school as well. The property is now owned by a private school - I don't even consider the playground "our" playground anymore...it belonged to the school which is no longer. Of course, there *is* a fence and gates all around the property so you can't get in but still I wouldn't fight them to allow my granddaughter to use the slide...
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

prairieflower wrote:Her child sounded old enough to be in that school, so why wasn't he? Also, if she helped "raise money" for that school equipment, again, why was her children not in school?

Way more to this I think.

Likely due to her having troubles with the principals due her lovely demeanor and saying, "IMA jerst gunna home skool MAH kid than" (in that for of grammar.)

I've met a few people like that over the years for sure.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Veovis wrote:Either way, school hours are not your playground, private or public. Around Kelowna there are many parks not that far from the school my kids go to, Vancouver may be much different, but not this.

North Vancouver isn't Vancouver (just like West Kelowna isn't Kelowna).

That said - there's far more public parks in either of those cities than in Kelowna. There are public parks with playgrounds around every neighborhood, and then plenty of large municipal/city parks scattered through the entire area. This lady would have had a real neighborhood park available to her within a 15-20 minute walk. Instead, she chose to trespass on private property.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

This is an example of what Entitlement looks like. The fact there is Tax money attached to it in some aspect is moot, its being leased out. People get all worked up saying tax money was used therefore its mine too... that's a load of crap. last time I checked taxpayers cant go play hide and go seek in a courthouse, go to the swimming pool at midnight, or have sleep overs at City Hall. the bottom line is this parent CAN use the site at a time designated. Even Public Schools have similar things in play, All Visitors are expected to report to the school's office, they decide who stays and who must leave. You can be a Tax payer all you want but you try walking into a Public school and hang out in the kindergarten class. Her argument is flawed and foolish and worse over puts kids at risk. she should be fined.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

public school private school doesnt matter....when schools in public out....if the items were raised for another school or whatever then find a way to buy a piece of land for a park and move it there...

Even the kid was embarrassed about his own mom and her ranting...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I don't think they should be on the school grounds while school is in session. I really don't see an issue if they use it outside of school hours though, private school or not.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

...if the items were raised for another school or whatever then find a way to buy a piece of land for a park and move it there

I'd be willing to place a wager on there being a playground , on a public park not more then 3 blocks away... She just lives next door to the private school and doesn't want to travel too far away from "lunch".. er .. her house.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Won't be long until she gets a new hair cut.

haircut.jpg
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

JLives wrote:I don't think they should be on the school grounds while school is in session. I really don't see an issue if they use it outside of school hours though, private school or not.

READ the ARTICLE she can use the grounds outside of school hours

Return to “B.C.”