Student Loans

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Student Loans

Post by mexi cali »

Sorry tuition is so damn high, but it doesn't take away from the fact that there is a financial obligation that was agreed on and that obligation should be met.

While I fundamentally agree that if you borrow money you should pay it back, I have an issue specifically with the fact that the brightest and smartest of society are forced by our government and our education system to have to go in debt in order to get the education they need in order that they can then go on to fulfill roles that we all need them for in order to support society.

Instead of rewarding the best, we set them back before they ever get the chance to get started.

Higher education should be structured in a way so that those who we will all rely on one day can get the education they need without coming out the other end with crippling debt.

Checks and balances can be put in place to track those who would play the system and the rest could and should be assisted to the highest extent possible to achieve the end result.

It works in many countries.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mexicalidreamer wrote:While I fundamentally agree that if you borrow money you should pay it back, I have an issue specifically with the fact that the brightest and smartest of society are forced by our government and our education system to have to go in debt in order to get the education they need in order that they can then go on to fulfill roles that we all need them for in order to support society.

Instead of rewarding the best, we set them back before they ever get the chance to get started.

Higher education should be structured in a way so that those who we will all rely on one day can get the education they need without coming out the other end with crippling debt.

Checks and balances can be put in place to track those who would play the system and the rest could and should be assisted to the highest extent possible to achieve the end result.

It works in many countries.

Especially communist countries, where children are identified and told what they will be doing.

The late developers are SOL.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Often times it is not the brightest but the ones that work the hardest who do the best. How do you decide who gets help and who gets kicked in the butt. Does not work for me.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Some years ago, there was a Mensa convention in San Francisco . Mensa, as you know, is a national organization for people who have an IQ of 140 or higher.

Several of the Mensa members went out for lunch at a local cafe. When they sat down, one of them discovered that their salt shaker contained pepper, and their pepper shaker was full of salt. How could they swap the contents of the two bottles without spilling any, and using only the implements at hand? Clearly -- this was a job for Mensa minds.

The group debated the problem and presented ideas and finally, came up with a brilliant solution involving a napkin, a straw, and an empty saucer.

They called the waitress over, ready to dazzle her with their solution.

"Ma'am," they said, "we couldn't help but notice that the pepper shaker contains salt and the salt shaker "

But before they could finish,..........

the waitress interrupted. "Oh -- sorry about that." She leaned over the table, unscrewed the caps of both bottles and switched them.

There was dead silence at the Mensa table.

Reminds me of our government, solutions would be so simple, but the brilliant minds in Ottawa have to make the situation difficult.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

European countries.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Canadian bursaries and scholarships.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

lakevixen wrote: thats mighty totalitarian of you :)

How kind.
I would like to see a universal student loan program with conditions. Fine, take out a loan but we as the taxpayers have identified degrees, diplomas, and trade certificates that are currently in need, or forecast to be in needed in the near future. And if you pursue one of those identified fields, complete the course of study, and utilize that skill within the province that provided that student loan, you can pay it off interest free.
You want to get a degree in anthropology, fine, fill yer boots but you will pay that loan back with interest. And if you work outside of the Province with any degree funded by taxpayers interest free while being schooled, you will pay back the loan with interest.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I would like to get rid of loans completely and treat post secondary the same way we treat secondary for Canadian students. It would be beneficial to have schools full of students who meet academic, not financial, criteria enlist in programs.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

JLives wrote:I would like to get rid of loans completely and treat post secondary the same way we treat secondary for Canadian students. It would be beneficial to have schools full of students who meet academic, not financial, criteria enlist in programs.

You have to look at the big picture. If, for example only BC did this do we have a residential requirement? Our schools would be full from all over Canada, otherwise. Now, we would pay for this, how ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

my5cents wrote:You have to look at the big picture. If, for example only BC did this do we have a residential requirement? Our schools would be full from all over Canada, otherwise. Now, we would pay for this, how ?

The same way we do for high school. We don't pay their living expenses.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

JLives wrote:"my5cents : You have to look at the big picture. If, for example only BC did this do we have a residential requirement? Our schools would be full from all over Canada, otherwise. Now, we would pay for this, how ?"

The same way we do for high school. We don't pay their living expenses.

I think you misunderstood, by "residential requirements". I was referring to, how we would select students to obtain the free university education.

Pay for it "the same way we do high school" ? Are you kidding ? Just how high do you think our taxes will be ?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Astronomical.

We can't afford the education we already pay for. I would love to see it all free also, but it is impossible.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

JLives wrote:I would like to get rid of loans completely and treat post secondary the same way we treat secondary for Canadian students. It would be beneficial to have schools full of students who meet academic, not financial, criteria enlist in programs.

Sounds good in theory but not practical. Would bankrupt us for one. Besides that, don't you think we already have enough Bachelor of Arts degrees already out there flipping burgers?
The demand for fields of study come from the economy, they don't create it. Cuba is a good case study. Free education to whatever level you want. The last hotel I stayed at in Cuba had two gals at the front desk....one with a PHD in Chemistry, and the other a PHD in Biology. They were both also fluent in Spanish, English, French, and Italian. It was their language skills that got them those plum jobs (by Cuban standards) because that is what there economy needed. They each could have saved themselves about 5 yrs of University, and the Gov't the cost of those five years, if they had just focused on Language studies right out of the gate. Neither aspired to ever leave Cuba so in the end it was a waste of time for them and a waste of sparse Gov't resources better utilized elsewhere.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I can only imagine how many professional students we would have if it was all free. To me part of further education is learning that nothing good in life comes free. if someone really wants an education in this country they will get it. It might be difficult, but they will get it and in the long run will probably be better for it.

Return to “B.C.”