Kids may have killed rabbit

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Kids may have killed rabbit

Post by Treblehook »

The story about the theft of a pet rabbit in Beaverdell, and it having been killed by children, appeared in today's Castanet news. The story reports that the police know who the kids are, and that they are under 12 years of age.. therefore not subject to the Young Offenders Act nor to the Criminal Code. It would seem that somebody needs to be held accountable for the acts of these kids and that is their parents!!! Something is seriously wrong here. Not only are these kids off the rails if all that is reported in this story is factual. Many notorious and sadistic criminals have been found to have done things just like this in their youth.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Kids May Have Killed Rabbit

Post by rustled »

Treblehook wrote:The story about the theft of a pet rabbit in Beaverdell, and it having been killed by children, appeared in today's Castanet news. The story reports that the police know who the kids are, and that they are under 12 years of age.. therefore not subject to the Young Offenders Act nor to the Criminal Code. It would seem that somebody needs to be held accountable for the acts of these kids and that is their parents!!! Something is seriously wrong here. Not only are these kids off the rails if all that is reported in this story is factual. Many notorious and sadistic criminals have been found to have done things just like this in their youth.

While it's certainly true many notorious and sadistic criminals have been found to have done things just like this in their youth, it's also true that many children who have done things just like this in their youth have grown up to be quite normal, productive members of society. I wonder if anyone tracks stats for that? It may be more common than we think.

These kids did a rotten, bad, cruel thing and need to understand this behaviour hurts others and is wrong. But I do hope the people dealing with them don't assume these are rotten, bad, cruel children who will automatically grow up to be sadistic criminals.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

These kids did a rotten, bad, cruel thing and need to understand this behaviour hurts others and is wrong. But I do hope the people dealing with them don't assume these are rotten, bad, cruel children who will automatically grow up to be sadistic criminals.
[/quote]
your just another bleeding hart liberal talking that way!!!
QUOTE: However, Laville is concerned for other pets in the neighbourhood after hearing rumours this group wanted to harm again."We are pretty much being held enslaved by three small children," she claims.

These 3 little *bleep* need to be held accountable here and now!!!!!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

In my experience, many small children do things they don't yet understand. Sometimes those are rotten, bad things. This was, and they certainly need to be set straight, but I'm not sure calling small children that particular name would be play any part in an effective plan for raising them up to be decent adults. For all you know, they're six-year-olds, and I rather shudder to think what "holding them accountable" might look like to you.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

rustled wrote:In my experience, many small children do things they don't yet understand. Sometimes those are rotten, bad things. This was, and they certainly need to be set straight, but I'm not sure calling small children that particular name would be play any part in an effective plan for raising them up to be decent adults. For all you know, they're six-year-olds, and I rather shudder to think what "holding them accountable" might look like to you.

Are these 6 year olds? All I've read so far is that they were under 12.

Even if they were that young, I can't fathom a world where theft and murder of someone's pet wouldn't register on the "this is really wrong" meter. We're not talking about pulling on a cat's tail a little too hard. Even in a rural setting where kids are generally more exposed to fishing, hunting, trapping, and whatnot, this has made the news for its brutality. That's a big problem.
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

rustled wrote:In my experience, many small children do things they don't yet understand. Sometimes those are rotten, bad things. This was, and they certainly need to be set straight, but I'm not sure calling small children that particular name would be play any part in an effective plan for raising them up to be decent adults. For all you know, they're six-year-olds, and I rather shudder to think what "holding them accountable" might look like to you.

spoken like a true liberal left wing greenie
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Always Sunny wrote:Are these 6 year olds? All I've read so far is that they were under 12.

Even if they were that young, I can't fathom a world where theft and murder of someone's pet wouldn't register on the "this is really wrong" meter. We're not talking about pulling on a cat's tail a little too hard. Even in a rural setting where kids are generally more exposed to fishing, hunting, trapping, and whatnot, this has made the news for its brutality. That's a big problem.

They've been referred to as "small children." Small children.

Everything makes the news these days. The more salacious the details, the better. Still, I see no point in calling small children "*bleep*", treating them like this is a sure-fire sign they'll all grow up to be sadistic killers, or other forms of media-induced overreacting. They did a rotten, bad thing and it needs to be dealt with. Apparently it is being dealt with. Hopefully the people who are dealing with it have a reasonable amount of compassion and common sense.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It was certainly horrific but I'm not going to judge those kids on that one act. I don't know anything about them but this incident.

Rustled is correct, many kids have done horrible things when they were younger. And then they grown up and get a better handle on their body and their mind (sometimes) and turn out to be decent human beings. I remember finding a dead peacock with a couple of friends and mounting it to the handlebars of my bike and making squawking sounds at pedestrians we passed by. Of course the animal wasn't hurt in this case but I turned out alright as an adult and hopefully these kids will too.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

JLives wrote:It was certainly horrific but I'm not going to judge those kids on that one act. I don't know anything about them but this incident.

Rustled is correct, many kids have done horrible things when they were younger. And then they grown up and get a better handle on their body and their mind (sometimes) and turn out to be decent human beings. I remember finding a dead peacock with a couple of friends and mounting it to the handlebars of my bike and making squawking sounds at pedestrians we passed by. Of course the animal wasn't hurt in this case but I turned out alright as an adult and hopefully these kids will too.

So you're comparing picking up roadkill to stealing and murdering one's pet? In what world are those things comparable?

Quote me again rustled on where I called these children *bleep*.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Always Sunny wrote:So you're comparing picking up roadkill to stealing and murdering one's pet? In what world are those things comparable?

It's been a while since those university psych courses, but as I recall the reason we don't try children as adults is because their brains aren't fully formed, they don't have enough experience to have good judgement, and we're supposed to recognize they're still learning about the world. They may do things adults (and older children) find disgusting without recognizing just how disgusting those things are. This is, I think, the point JLives was trying to make.

If we want to be outraged, it will always be easy to find something to support our outrage. Like this:
Always Sunny wrote:Quote me again rustled on where I called these children *bleep*.

If I seemed to infer you had said it, I apologize. I could be wrong, but I do think anyone reading this thread without bias would see pretty clearly that I was referring to wanderingman's comment:
wanderingman wrote:These 3 little *bleep* need to be held accountable here and now!!!!!

That comment was also where the "small children" reference showed up in the thread. He/she had quoted that directly from the news story, where the quoted woman's level of outrage seems, to my mind, a little overblown.

If you go back to that original news story and read the comments beneath it, you may get a fuller picture of what actually happened, and how people are choosing to react, and why.

Don't get me wrong. Of course you're quite entitled to be outraged. Those small children did do a rotten, bad thing. But what should we do with our outrage?

If a small child you love does a rotten, bad thing, how will you want the people of your community to treat this child? Like a rotten, bad child, an "*bleep*" who no doubt will grow up to be a sadistic killer? What hope is there for this child, then?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

rustled wrote:That comment was also where the "small children" reference showed up in the thread. He/she had quoted that directly from the news story, where the quoted woman's level of outrage seems, to my mind, a little overblown.

I too would be outraged to have a group of children steal my pet, whether it be rabbit, cat or dog, and brutally kill it.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

If you go back to that original news story and read the comments beneath it, you may get a fuller picture of what actually happened, and how people are choosing to react, and why.

I did and see nothing that changes the picture of what actually happened all I read is one post that claims the entire story is not true but offers no alternative
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

rustled wrote:That comment was also where the "small children" reference showed up in the thread. He/she had quoted that directly from the news story, where the quoted woman's level of outrage seems, to my mind, a little overblown.

Fancy wrote:I too would be outraged to have a group of children steal my pet, whether it be rabbit, cat or dog, and brutally kill it.

As one would expect.

I would, too, but I also would hope my community would not immediately leap to conclusions about the rest of the children involved, stigmatizing these kids for life. Apparently these are small children we're talking about. Although perhaps that's not accurate, given the source. The quote wasn't from the child's parent. It was from an outraged community member:
"We are pretty much being held enslaved by three small children," she claims.

"Enslaved by three small children." Perhaps it's just me, but I do find that a tad overblown. No point pillorying her either, though. I'd like to think she's a kind and sensible person, and the media simply used her most excitement-inducing off-the-cuff comment for best effect.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If these are truly "small children" where were the caregivers that allowed them the freedom to roam on other people's property and steal what doesn't belong to them.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “B.C.”