BC to sell groundwater to Nestle for $2.25 per million L

questionablecontext

BC to sell groundwater to Nestle for $2.25 per million L

Post by questionablecontext »

Please read this article:

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Outrage+boils+over+plans+sell+groundwater+million+litres/10865416/story.html

And then meet the CEO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C29_U0Ksao

Not happy about the rates we are charging, and worried you as the tax payer are subsidizing Nestle and other companies selling our water?

Write a quick email to Mary Polak, BC's environment minister, and tell her:

http://marypolakmla.bc.ca/contact/
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: BC to sell groundwater to Nestle for $2.25 per million L

Post by Ken7 »

It would be interesting to know what a Kelowna Orchardist is paying per lt / million and then ask why our Government can be so selective with who gets the financial break!
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

Ken7 wrote:It would be interesting to know what a Kelowna Orchardist is paying per lt / million and then ask why our Government can be so selective with who gets the financial break!

big big difference between "ground water" than water received through public water lines from public containment centres

I think 2.25 is a big joke and should be triple that amount
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

wanderingman wrote:

big big difference between "ground water" than water received through public water lines from public containment centres

I think 2.25 is a big joke and should be triple that amount

It is a big joke isn't it. I think we should go with your plan and extract another four dollars and 50 cents out of them for every million litres. For the water they use,that should pay for at least a teacher till lunch break.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Sorry wanderingman, my math was wrong. I apologize. Nestle actually uses 280 million litres per year so if we extract triple the amount as you suggest........that would be 280 x $4.50 and an additional $1260.00/yr into general gov't revenues. The Tyee has taught you well. Your simple solution has almost covered 3 days of sick leave for one teacher. Do you have any more revenue generating ideas you would care to share?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Oil companies in northern BC are paying as much as $8-$12 in some cases more per cubic meter of water to use for frac'ng, that doesn't include the trucking cost either. It's unbelievable that Nestle is getting off so cheap, this resource is being given away to them.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

this is soooooo wrong
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

django wrote:Oil companies in northern BC are paying as much as $8-$12 in some cases more per cubic meter of water to use for frac'ng, that doesn't include the trucking cost either. It's unbelievable that Nestle is getting off so cheap, this resource is being given away to them.

I doubt anyone is paying $8-12$ per cubic meter. Where did you read this at? Fracking takes millions of gallons of water
IF it had to be trucked in then maybe but that would include trucking fees
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Check out : BOTTLED LIFE: The Truth About Nestlé's Business With Water

I think it's on Youtube now , if not it is downloadable just about anywhere .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

wanderingman wrote:I doubt anyone is paying $8-12$ per cubic meter. Where did you read this at? Fracking takes millions of gallons of water
IF it had to be trucked in then maybe but that would include trucking fees

Really, I'm up here hauling the water. The cost is displayed right on the Aquatera water stations. You have no idea what amount of money they are willing to spend to frac a well. And trucking isn't included. They pay even more for heated water, which is required quite often. Sorry I don't have a link to anything, I could take a picture of the signs posted at several pumping stations I guess.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Oh here you go, $9.50 per cube here. Still doubt me?

http://aquatera.ca/water/our-water-services/bulk-water/
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

="django"]Oh here you go, $9.50 per cube here. Still doubt me?

http://aquatera.ca/water/our-water-services/bulk-water/

*removed* that's for drinking water nothing to do with facking
Last edited by ferri on Mar 10th, 2015, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

So we should charge for using rain, which is what you're arguing for essentially? Maybe we should charge them for the air that takes up the last little bit in the bottle as well?
wanderingman
Übergod

Post by wanderingman »

goatboy wrote:So we should charge for using rain, which is what you're arguing for essentially? Maybe we should charge them for the air that takes up the last little bit in the bottle as well?

I think what this is all about is there taking a product that belongs to everyone and making billions off it so the gov always so cash strapped from feeding all the welfare bumbs needs another source of income. These corporations having to pay a pittance for water is nothing at all to them and helps all BC people in one way or another
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I feel they should pay a lot more than that. Does anyone realize that BC hydro pays the province water rental for the water that flows through it's generating stations. This is a common practice, I guess the water isn't worth as mush or isn't as good before the electricity is taken out of it LOL.
I had trouble finding out much about the charges but I believe they are on page 83 of their 2014 financial statement. Looks like 361 million in 2014 and 352 million in 2013. They don't even remove any water. When we charge ourselves that much for basically nothing, why should we give water away for nothing. Charge Nestle a good dollar for taking our water and selling it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”