Poor can keep more cash

Auto1
Board Meister

Re: Poor can keep more cash

Post by Auto1 »

omisimaw wrote:You are missing the point, it is discriminatory to offer a program that allows persons to earn extra to only one or two classes of SA recipients.

All recipients should be able to earn up to the low income figure without having the SA cut back. Anything over the LIC can then be deducted dollar for dollar from all!

The system does not pay out more, the individual if they wish earns more.

No one gets more unless they help themselves by working!

It is not discriminatory - it your own words, they are in different 'classes'. Different circumstances. Should they also, then - by your logic- be offered the same amount of money as a family? Should both a single person and a family on SA be entitled to the same amount of living space? (Ie, two bedrooms?).

SA is not designed to make a person 'comfy'. What motivation would then be given for these people to "get off the system"?

I thank god we live in a country where the government subsidizes people who, for one reason or another, can not support themselves. Thank goodness we live in Canada!
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Auto1 wrote:
In another thread you mentioned that parents are 100% responsible for their children. I, for one, would NEVER expose my children to living with an alcoholic, or someone with a substance abuse problem. (Not that it makes them a bad person, just that I would chose not to have it in my home). That means that I would make different choices if I had taken on the burden of a family, then if I was by myself. It is my duty to my children to find the best scenario for us, which includes personal safety of who they will be exposed to.

As a single person there are a lot more temporary and permanent solutions. That is just fact.

so you would move from a home, uproot a child from a parent, because their other parent is in your opinion an alcoholic, or has some other abuse problem or health issue.... doubt that but then there are lots that toss there families to the curb when the road gets bumpy ....

Lots of single parents room with others, single and others with kids and there is no "fact" in your statement at all... other than in your mind that is how you see it....
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

There are lots of "classes" of individuals serviced by social assistance. and it is discriminatory, highly discriminatory, to offer something to one class and not the others.

Everyone should have the same benefits of that helping hand and lots of 50+ married/common laws could use this as well as many 50+ single without kids....

etc. etc. etc.
To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

*removed confusing quotations*

Did I say I would remove child from a bio parent? Um, no. No I didn't. So please don't jump to conclusions. And I would NEVER remove a child from a parent with a health issue, unless it put the child in danger. Please do not put words in my mouth that were never there.

The issue is that if I was a parent, and it came to having room mates, I would HAVE to be more choosy than if it was just me, because I care about what the children are exposed to. I mean, what if the other person is a child predator?
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

omisimaw wrote:There are lots of "classes" of individuals serviced by social assistance. and it is discriminatory, highly discriminatory, to offer something to one class and not the others.

Everyone should have the same benefits of that helping hand and lots of 50+ married/common laws could use this as well as many 50+ single without kids....

etc. etc. etc.

First of all, there sure is an attitude of entitlement. Wow. If I had children that could not be grateful for what they were given...

I honestly want to know if you are serious with the above comment? Perhaps I am reading it incorrectly?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

omisimaw wrote:You are missing the point, it is discriminatory to offer a program that allows persons to earn extra to only one or two classes of SA recipients.

All recipients should be able to earn up to the low income figure without having the SA cut back. Anything over the LIC can then be deducted dollar for dollar from all!

The system does not pay out more, the individual if they wish earns more.

No one gets more unless they help themselves by working!

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your concern. I find it odd you feel families and single persons should be treated as though they are not different from one another. On the other hand, perhaps you are misunderstanding the point of treating families and single persons differently? Here's the government's rationale for treating some cases differently from others:
Earnings Exemptions for Caregivers of Children with Disabilities
  • An earnings exemption up to $300 per month to single income assistance clients with a child who, due to the nature of the child's disability, are prevented from leaving home for employment, or are limited to working part-time (up to 30 hours per week) outside the home.
  • Earnings exemptions allow eligible clients to keep a portion of their income in addition to their monthly income assistance cheque.
  • The ministry recognizes that although caregivers for children with disabilities are often unable to seek full-time employment, some are able to work or earn income in their homes (i.e., room and board) or manage part-time work outside the home.
  • This exemption applies to a single income assistance client who is the primary caregiver of a child with disabilities. The child may be a dependent child of the caregiver, a child in the home of a relative (caregiver receives funds under the ministry's Child in the Home of a Relative program), or a foster child.

http://www.eia.gov.bc.ca/factsheets/2003/earningsexemption.htm
We have an imperfect social assistance system, but it is nevertheless a system which tries to meet the needs of all, while encouraging as much independence as possible from those most able to exert some independence. For my part, I continue to be quite grateful for this system, imperfect though it is.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Mar 16th, 2015, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attack
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

omisimaw wrote:
so you would move from a home, uproot a child from a parent, because their other parent is in your opinion an alcoholic, or has some other abuse problem or health issue.... doubt that but then there are lots that toss there families to the curb when the road gets bumpy ....

Lots of single parents room with others, single and others with kids and there is no "fact" in your statement at all... other than in your mind that is how you see it....

personal attack? mhmm

Sure lets give it a go again, you consider living with an alcoholic a 'bumpy road'? Do you think they are happily sitting on the couch slamming back drinks? No, they are delusional and typically cause emotional, verbal and sometimes physical violence to their children/spouse. That is not a bumpy road, that is abuse!

There is not a lot that I can say that makes it any more obvious that a family should receive more than a single person...
single = 1 (receives less)
family = more than 1 (receives more)

Hopefully nobody feels attacked now :)
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

It is a discriminatory program, plain and simple.
There is no room in society to give more to one than the other.
Our low income single seniors are just as entitled to be given an extra hand up as a young single and an older single supporting a family member is no different than a single parent with a child.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I can understand the government's approach on this. As a new program it makes sense to start where the need is greatest, that being single parents supporting children. If it meets with some success then by all means, expand the program to include others, but it certainly makes sense to see if it works at all first.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

I am on disability due to mental health issues (including PTSD). Before it was increased in 2007, at one point, I had less than $100 to live on after rent, food, and my share of bills was paid for (depending on where I was living).

I do receive one supplement for other issues which has helped tremendously but was not able to work until a few years ago. Since then, I have been able to make more money, but my job does not have the same income amount every month due to the type of job it is, so I never know what I'll have month to month. A single person on disability (not income assistance) can make up to $800 a month before it's taken dollar for dollar off their check. The overall amount they get though monthly depends on if they get any supplements on top of it and if they are able to work or not.

I have a friend who is on disability and has two children. She will now be able to receive child support. Now that she can get that without having to declare it as income, she will be able to provide better for her children and not worry about not having enough money to feed and clothe them. While I agree that it is beneficial for her since she has children and while I am also grateful I get the assistance I do, I feel there is more that could be done to help a single person like myself. Obviously, each situation is different though in terms of what a person needs to begin with though.

For job programs, there is nothing that really is set up to help a person in my situation (with certain needs) that is more supportive. I have anxiety (and other difficulties depending on the day), so the entire process of having to do anything related to finding a job, going for an interview, and then even securing a job and working with the public would be incredibly difficult for me.

The only job program I ever participated in provided me with some computer skills (which I already kind of knew) and then I was left on my own to do a job search which amounted to nothing because I needed a level of support that wasn't available. I think it would be beneficial in some situations for employers to work with employment programs who help those with disabilities (mental health and otherwise) who can work together in assisting a person to find a job. Without that kind of support, I do not believe I could find a different job if my current one ended at some point. I do not want someone to hold my hand per se, but having my situation known about from the start to some degree and still having the support to help me succeed would help me to feel more secure if an employer is aware of the situation and supportive since it would allow for me to stay at the job.

There is also no housing options for a single person on disability or with a low income who is single (I'm not sure what the situation is for low income families/single parents). That is another thing I have faced over the last several years, having to live at times in situations that were not healthy for me because I had nowhere else to go. It is also a potential current issue due to my struggles, but again there are not adequate supports to help with that either. While I will hopefully be able to find a place to live that I can afford, the other concern for me is my mental well being in the process of it and having certain needs met that might not be a reality in order for me to feel safe and secure in terms of where I end up or the landlord I have.

Unlike low income seniors or low income families who have rent assistant programs (although, I'm not sure if they all qualify or if it's long or short term), there is nothing like that for single people. And, as a whole, there is really is a lot less for a single person to access in terms of programs and help.

The best a single person on income assistance/disability can get is a GST tax credit if they make under a certain amount a year. Well, okay, the cheap bus pass is a plus too and helps a lot for those who do not drive. Only being able to have your eyes checked every two years is a bit of a concern though if you have something that needs to be monitored but is not a qualifying medical condition under the rules.

On that note though, I am happy I get the help I do. I just wish that there were more options to help a single person a little more. I have felt inferior for a long time because I have heard people say horrible things about 'lazy people on welfare' who they are 'sick of paying for' who also seem to lump those on disability in the same category. I take it to heart because I am a person who would never have chosen to be on disability and would love nothing more than to get off of it so I could do better for myself. But that is not a reality for me as much as I wish it was. And even though I do my best and get up every morning and sometimes fight through the day to be okay, it doesn't feel like I am doing a good enough job because of the barriers I face whether it's due to my financial situation or personal struggles.

And I guess I feel like if I had more choices available to me, more support with some things that I cannot currently get support for (especially when it came to where I could live) and didn't have to just take what I could get and settle, as much as I am grateful for what I have now, things would still be a lot better with more access to things.

I do understand that everyone has different needs though, and the system is really not designed to help each person with that. It is just difficult to try to be your best self when you are trying hard but never quite get to where you could be. I know that is true for most people, but it's probably more true for a person who is unable to work due to the difficulties they face physically or mentally. But I am not sure many people really understand since a lot who have never been in that situation still think it's mind over matter or if a person really wanted to do/be better, they would just do it or do what it took. For some, it's just not so simple.
omisimaw
Guru

Post by omisimaw »

Thank you for your post! You are to be commended for your input!
You are not alone, as you must know, and many more have gone before, trying to navigate and deal with the system.
That is so why it is important that programs and processes get simplified and made equal!
There are plenty of folks in their 40, 50 and 60's who can and do identify with you but are not yet able to fully qualify as disabled.
The government establishes a low income figure and therefore if they are not prepared to ensure each individual receives that amount then they should at least be prepared to allow individuals to earn the difference! No matter what they receive monthly, or for whatever reason!
Make it simple! Make it attainable and useful to all.
Is that too much to ask?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

mysideofthings wrote:There is also no housing options for a single person on disability or with a low income who is single (I'm not sure what the situation is for low income families/single parents). That is another thing I have faced over the last several years, having to live at times in situations that were not healthy for me because I had nowhere else to go. It is also a potential current issue due to my struggles, but again there are not adequate supports to help with that either. While I will hopefully be able to find a place to live that I can afford, the other concern for me is my mental well being in the process of it and having certain needs met that might not be a reality in order for me to feel safe and secure in terms of where I end up or the landlord I have.

Have you tried contacting BC Housing for help? http://www.bchousing.org/ My family member is single but not senior, and this program is able to help. With the different federal and provincial designations, it's all very confusing. If BC Housing can't help, you might also try your local area access centre. For example, the Penticton Area Access Centre may be able to suggest supports of which you were unaware.

I would love to see some funding go to properly supported back-to-work programs. Right now we don't seem to be providing the right kinds of support to those who want to be as independent as possible.

What's worse, I think, is that we have something like an all-or-nothing system (you either get supports or you get none). This keeps many people from contributing the way they would like to, out of fear they will earn too much for too long and be unable to access some supports when and if they need them, or living with the worry of that happening through loss of a current job as you've described.

This, to my mind, is a problem more related to paperwork and attitudes than anything else, and should be easier to remedy. It's moving away from the simplification omisimaw favours, but I truly think more flexibility is needed, not less.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
mysideofthings
Board Meister

Post by mysideofthings »

rustled wrote: Have you tried contacting BC Housing for help? http://www.bchousing.org/ My family member is single but not senior, and this program is able to help. With the different federal and provincial designations, it's all very confusing. If BC Housing can't help, you might also try your local area access centre. For example, the Penticton Area Access Centre may be able to suggest supports of which you were unaware.

I would love to see some funding go to properly supported back-to-work programs. Right now we don't seem to be providing the right kinds of support to those who want to be as independent as possible.

What's worse, I think, is that we have something like an all-or-nothing system (you either get supports or you get none). This keeps many people from contributing the way they would like to, out of fear they will earn too much for too long and be unable to access some supports when and if they need them, or living with the worry of that happening through loss of a current job as you've described.

This, to my mind, is a problem more related to paperwork and attitudes than anything else, and should be easier to remedy. It's moving away from the simplification omisimaw favours, but I truly think more flexibility is needed, not less.

BC housing has extremely limited options. I have a pet, and most, if not all, places they have where I am do not allow pets. I cannot give mine up as she is therapeutic for me. I am certain they also have very long wait lists (as in years) due to the lack of availability to begin with. There are also only a few places that are open to low income single people/people with disabilities, and I am not sure if there are actually more for seniors or they are all the same. I have looked at their list several times over the years, and it never changes as far as more options.

I would like to see a subsidized rent program for single people on income assistance/disability as it would open up more options for a person to be able to rent as well as be something guaranteed for a landlord. But I guess that would mean the income assistance/disability rate would have to increase to begin with and potential landlords would have to be open and willing to be a part of that type of program and be willing to probably rent at a lower rate to a person. I know in the US, that type of thing exists in some states so that when there are not available public housing options, there is that program as an option.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It seems to me BC Housing is the subsidized housing program you're suggesting. My family member started out in a private rental bachelor suite which was subsidized, I believe through BCH but it may have been another entity (that was a very confusing time, learning all the agencies and what they did). It took only a couple of months of making do there and they'd found a more suitable one-bedroom. This one is definitely BCH.

It seems odd they wouldn't have helped you find a suitable place by now, if you had applied years ago when you first started looking. Maybe your application has stale-dated?

Why not ask the access centre in your area for help? That's what they are there for.

We can wish for new and better programs, but meanwhile we may as well make the best use we can of what's already available.

Return to “B.C.”