$15 min wage

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: $15 min wage

Post by Captain Awesome »

OREZ wrote:Do you mean smaller increments more often? As opposed to letting minimum wage fall far behind first and then giving it a big jump?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe BC min. wage has been hiked 4 or 5 times over the last 3 years? Small increments but fairly often. I think that's a smarter way than big jumps over long periods of time.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe BC min. wage has been hiked 4 or 5 times over the last 3 years? Small increments but fairly often. I think that's a smarter way than big jumps over long periods of time.

What "percentage increase" have the MLA's received over the past 3 years? What's good for the Golden Goose should be also good for the Gander.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

OREZ wrote:Do you mean smaller increments more often? As opposed to letting minimum wage fall far behind first and then giving it a big jump?

Captain Awesome wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe BC min. wage has been hiked 4 or 5 times over the last 3 years? Small increments but fairly often. I think that's a smarter way than big jumps over long periods of time.

Well actually I don't know exactly how many times or what the percentages were, to be honest, but since you agree in a previous post that "minimum wage increases are necessary" I'm assuming that the percentages have not been high enough to keep up with cost of living increases then?

I agree that more but smaller increments are a smarter way to deal with the problem than letting it get way out of whack and then implementing a large correction. However, some people seem to be saying that increase in wages in general (min. wage first, followed by all other wages) result in inflation. This is an interesting theory since to me (and I know I'm not alone here) it seems that an increase in wages always lags behind cost of living increase and inflation.

It's been my experience that companies often hold off on increasing wages until they start losing employees to other regions where there is more money to be made and then have great difficulty replacing them with similarly qualified workers. This is very unwise and detrimental to the company but I've watched it happen over and over in my years in the work force. I've never experienced across the board increases in wages before an increase in cost of living, however, it always seems to be in response to it.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

There are so many things that affect the inflation rate that to tie the whole thing to any one particular cause is short-sighted. What we can be reasonably sure of is that if a business experiences increased costs of production then he must compensate to stay afloat. His choices would be to either raise his selling price or find some way to lower his cost of production by shrinking his labour force.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

XT225 wrote:What "percentage increase" have the MLA's received over the past 3 years? What's good for the Golden Goose should be also good for the Gander.

We're not discussing MLAs here.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

OREZ wrote:... since you agree in a previous post that "minimum wage increases are necessary" I'm assuming that the percentages have not been high enough to keep up with cost of living increases then?

I was saying they're necessary mostly because other provinces are raising them - so any one province that decides not to raise them will fall behind. I do not know how min. wage has been doing in relation to the cost of living.

However, some people seem to be saying that increase in wages in general (min. wage first, followed by all other wages) result in inflation.

That's not exactly a theory, it's a fact. Yes, you hike up the wages, and inflation goes up. But it's not the only thing that affects inflation. There's a million factors that come into play, unfortunately.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It makes sense that the minimum wage be indexed to the inflation rate, that would offer a level of sustainability in the purchasing power of those in that bracket, but where to peg the starting point ? If we leave it as is, an entry level wage for an entry level employee, and focus on having young singles fill those jobs then a "living wage" takes on a different meaning as those new workers traditionally live either at home with parents or in a group situation where costs are lower. That would require some understanding on the part of those employees that to improve their lot in life they need to improve their level of employ-ability through training or education in order to take the next step. This would also have the effect of showing employers that if they want something more than an entry level employee then they're going to have to pay more than an entry level wage.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

You're wrong.

BC Minimum Wage was hiked to $10.25/hr in 2011, the first increase since 2001. It hasn't moved since.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

36Drew wrote:You're wrong.

BC Minimum Wage was hiked to $10.25/hr in 2011, the first increase since 2001. It hasn't moved since.

British Columbia raised its minimum wage in 2001 to $8.00/hour; on May 1, 2011 to $8.75/hour; on November 1, 2011 to $9.50/hour; and, on May 1, 2012 to $10.25/hour.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

...and a cheeseburger stayed the same price...

...and the sky didnt fall...

...the "restaurant association" didn't supernova....
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

oneh2obabe wrote:British Columbia raised its minimum wage in 2001 to $8.00/hour; on May 1, 2011 to $8.75/hour; on November 1, 2011 to $9.50/hour; and, on May 1, 2012 to $10.25/hour.

Thank you, I knew I wasn't crazy.

Return to “B.C.”