Buy alcohol in Kelowna April 1st?

Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Buy alcohol in Kelowna April 1st?

Post by Hurtlander »

I spend part of my winters in Mexico, it is a real treat to walk into a supermarket and buy food and booze, I'd love to do that here. But this BC only wine is not free enterprise nor is it true capitalism, a piece on the news the other night spoke of how this is very unfair to existing specialty wine stores, specialty wine stores must purchase their entire inventory, and under the new liquor laws that became effective April 1st they only stand to make 15% margin, whereas the grocery stores selling BC only wine are selling the wine on commission making well over 30%....how are the small independent wine merchants supposed to compete with that..
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

FreeRights wrote:Private liquor stores "restrict" what brands they carry, too.

There's a huge difference between a private liquor store choosing what brands that want to carry, and the government giving BC wine producers and certain wealth grocery store conglomerates an unfair advantage over their competition. As I just mentioned, the grocery stores aren't purchasing the wine inventory, there selling on commission on behalf of the BC wine producers. There's no way this can be legal
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

It shouldn't be legal that a grocery store has to be 1km away from an existing liquor store, either.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

FreeRights wrote:Private liquor stores "restrict" what brands they carry, too.

By choice. They are able to choose the product what best suits their business needs.
FreeRights wrote:I think there are a lot better "dur taking our freedoms!" arguments out there than having to go to a liquor store - you know, like you do right now and have done for many years - because a grocery store doesn't carry your preferred source of booze.

Yet, for some strange reason, they only don't sell my preferred choice because they are told that they cannot carry what a consumer may want to purchase. The market should decide, not the Government.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
biggoofball

Post by biggoofball »

Hurtlander wrote:I spend part of my winters in Mexico, it is a real treat to walk into a supermarket and buy food and booze, I'd love to do that here. But this BC only wine is not free enterprise nor is it true capitalism, a piece on the news the other night spoke of how this is very unfair to existing specialty wine stores, specialty wine stores must purchase their entire inventory, and under the new liquor laws that became effective April 1st they only stand to make 15% margin, whereas the grocery stores selling BC only wine are selling the wine on commission making well over 30%....how are the small independent wine merchants supposed to compete with that..

I seriously doubt that existing liquor outlets and the new wine ones are commission based? and second off the BC gov will not allow 30% profite for one retailer and only 15 for another I do not believe this bs at all
Most All stores anywhere in the usa sell food and booze at the same outlet.mexico is a crap hole and don't have that great of NA recognized liquors
also to note this BC wine only deal sucks because why should the BC gov show such protectionism to one business sector and not others? why not BC eggs, or BC produce or BC cherrys or BC apples or BC Beef only allowed in stores???
tgm929
Board Meister

Post by tgm929 »

Hate the new rule that allows them to price alcohol without including taxes. Any items, such as fuel, airline tickets and alcohol, that have excess tax on them should be advertised and priced at final actual cost.

Also, blatant false advertising in a local liquor stores flyer. Advertising a product for $20.95 stating that it is $6 off. Regular price was $26.95 with all taxes and deposits in. Sales prices was $20.95 without taxes and deposit in. Till price is over $24.00 so it is really onah about $2 off.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

The government has still a stronghold on all liquor in BC. They are not issuing new licences. Grocery stores who want to sell liquor have to purchase a licence from an existing store. Makes sense? BC is still in the dark ages when it comes to liquor. All they did was opening the door a tiny little bit so that they dont loose control. And then this government is touting its horn as if its now in the 21st century. Unbelievable how the consumer is treated by Big Liberal Brothers.
but I'll be damned if I want the government dictating what my choices are....

Also think ICBC

Return to “B.C.”