BC Liberals screwing up again

I am Canadian
Banned

BC Liberals screwing up again

Post by I am Canadian »

From Castanet:

B.C.'s experiment with toll bridges in the Lower Mainland appears to be backfiring, with the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges losing more than $100 million a year.

The Golden Ears Bridge is expected to post a loss of $38 million last year, and the Port Mann has lost about $80 million a year so far.

The Port Mann carries about 101,000 drivers a day – 9,000 less than the old bridge it replaced – as drivers diverted to New Westminster's Pattullo Bridge to avoid the toll.

Voters are being asked if they want to pay 0.5 per cent more in sales tax to fund increased transit services, including 400 new buses and a subway along Broadway, to a new Pattullo Bridge.

I thought Vancouver & area drivers already paid an extra $0.10/L transit tax on fuel?
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: BC Liberals screwing up again

Post by John500 »

Interesting subject. I don't understand this Mayor council that proposes that .5% increase in the sales tax. Maybe they should cut the fat first before going for an increase. Reading what these ceo's are making there is a lot of fat. IMHO.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The CEO salary is a drop in the bucket. The 0.5% sales tax is a great idea. It's much better that THEY pay for their own transit than it is for the BC government to take money out of general revenue (ie. from us in the interior) to cover the shortfalls.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

TransLink is blindly incompetent. Who keeps saying that 'you can't solve problems by just throwing more money at it!"

Umm.... Hmmm..
Chill
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Kind of reminds me of the run of the river Hydro projects and we the taxpayers keep footing these bills while the companies make profits. There is something wrong with this picture.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Glacier wrote:The CEO salary is a drop in the bucket. The 0.5% sales tax is a great idea. It's much better that THEY pay for their own transit than it is for the BC government to take money out of general revenue (ie. from us in the interior) to cover the shortfalls.

Now if we could just a toll put in place to cover the cost of the bridge in Kelowna, all would be fair.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Someone still believe we'll see a second crossing on Okanagan Lake this century when they can't even afford to build a toll free one on the TRANSCANADA Highway (Port Mann)? Don't be a fool.

They should also put a toll Eastbound on the Connector to pay for its maintenance and let's call it "Another Sunshine Tax".
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

36Drew wrote:Now if we could just a toll put in place to cover the cost of the bridge in Kelowna, all would be fair.

Hey, I'm a big fan of bridge tolls and highway tolls for freeways. Tolling the Okanangan bridge would be a lot more effective than tolling Lower Mainland bridges because people aren't going to drive all the way around up to Vernon to avoid the toll.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “B.C.”