86%
The cop
14%

Total votes: 36

I am Canadian
Banned

Who's the thug, cop or driver?

Post by I am Canadian »

Poll, who's the thug, the cop or the driver?

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/136323/ ... car-window

Vancouver police say a YouTube video of an officer smashing the window of a car he had just pulled over doesn't tell the whole story.

The video, posted three days ago by user Bodhi Sattva, the driver of the car, has had more than 29,000 views.

It shows a confrontational officer saying: “Hit the brakes, moron,” while the driver asks why he’s been pulled over.

“I’m not playing this game,” the officer says, ordering him to open his door.

Further into the 90-second video, the officer says he smells marijuana, and that the driver is under arrest. The driver disputes this, and refuses to open the door.

When the driver doesn’t comply, the officer warns that he'll smash the window – and within seconds he does so, before pulling the driver from the vehicle.

Lawyer Paul Doroshenko told CTV the video is evidence of “police officers behaving like thugs.”

Really?
godfatherI

Re: Who's the thug, cop or driver?

Post by godfatherI »

More like the driver being an idiot for not opening the door in the first place;
had to play it up for the video he was shooting I guess. Did he forget he had drugs in the car?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

godfatherI wrote:More like the driver being an idiot for not opening the door in the first place;
had to play it up for the video he was shooting I guess. Did he forget he had drugs in the car?

The fact that the driver is refusing all interview requests seems like a pretty big indication that he knows he went wrong about this. Cops smashing windows isn't a routine thing in traffic stops, but on occasion it's probably warranted...
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

agreed. Just another idiot trying to get his 20 minutes of youtube fame. Cop should have smashed his phone too
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Just watched the video, he sounds east indian. By the way the cop says "I'm not playing this game" it looks like the driver was told already why he was under arrest.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Videos like this make me chuckle. Typically, the police aren't going to smash your window or take you to the ground. This driver felt like that was going to be the best time and place for him to make some sort of stand to prove some sort of point, and we all saw how that turned out for him.

The driver was charged with a handful of drug offenses as well as obstruction. Even if no drugs were found, he would have still been charged with obstruction due to his behaviour.

When a police officer pulls you over, you get to follow his directions. I'm actually surprised at how long it took for the cop to break the window considering the contents of the driver's vehicle could pose a legitimate threat if there are firearms or other weapons in there. The entire thing could have been completely avoided had the driver followed instructions, but he likely didn't because he may have been in possession of drugs.

I actually let out an audible laugh when the driver argued that the police officer didn't have "consent" to enter his vehicle and arrest him. This is what happens when an armchair lawyer thinks he knows the law more than a police officer does.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I did not vote for who the THUG was. Only as without having all the story and only the civilians side it would be a uneducated call.

Sadly, there was one point where I did hear the officer say, "You are under arrest." I did not hear what the arrest was for however.

Guess until the rest of the story is out, will have to sit and listen to the bashing here.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Ken7 wrote:I did not vote for who the THUG was. Only as without having all the story and only the civilians side it would be a uneducated call.

Sadly, there was one point where I did hear the officer say, "You are under arrest." I did not hear what the arrest was for however.

Guess until the rest of the story is out, will have to sit and listen to the bashing here.

Just out of curiosity, would it not actually be less safe to announce to a person that you are arresting him when he is still inside his personal vehicle and not physically in any form of custody?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

College knowitalls vs. Police officer tired of people's BS = Police always wins.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

FreeRights wrote:Just out of curiosity, would it not actually be less safe to announce to a person that you are arresting him when he is still inside his personal vehicle and not physically in any form of custody?

Again without being privileged to what was said and not being there no comment.

I've had people pull this crap as they are all Boston lawyers and "I know my rights." My advice which I give for free, never challenge the law on the street. That is what the courts are for. This yo-yo will learn it the hard way from what I observed.

Obviously if there are more charges then the obstruction, he was attempting to avoid detection and arrest. He'll learn!

As for your question, you want to remove that barrier yes. The officer was way patient in this case.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

When a police officer 'invites' you to 'step out of the car' it is prudent to accept his/her invitation. Now.
Chill
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

Watched CBC news and this thug has been charged with numerous drug offences including trafficking.

Hopefully he will get what he deserves. A very long prison sentence. Maybe teach him a lesson. Don't argue with a cop. Ohhhhhh WAIT!!!!!. He will have a high priced gang lawyer who will get him off.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

So glad the driver caught this on video for us to enjoy! I give it 4 stars out of five. Too bad the cop didn't drag him out through the window, if he had I would haven given it 5 stars. I don't have any issues with the officer's actions, some people have no respect for the law.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

A couple .78 cent fmj's thought the window would have been perfect. Judge Dredd where are you?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I don't think we have seen the whole video.. Is it not the usual thing for an officer to ask for a DL and Registration at the outset of a stop? I dunno, last time I was stopped was over 30 years ago and that was the routine then. I agree the camera guy had an agenda and wanted his 15 seconds of fame on YouTube..... How well did that work out for him?
Chill

Return to “B.C.”