Photo radar

DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD REINSTATE PHOTO RADAR?

YES
44%
NO
56%

Total votes: 52

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Photo radar

Post by Smurf »

I believe as apparently some others do that photo radar should be reinstated. I believe we need better controls on speeding. I also believe we should tighten up on the allowed overage. It should be no higher than 5 km over. A speedometer outage should be no excuse. It should be the operators responsibility to know their car.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: PHOTO RADAR

Post by Glacier »

Everyone's speed limit should be based upon their accident history. For every 10 years of accident-free you get to drive another 10km/h faster (on 80km/h+ roads only). If you get in an accident, you are set back 10km/h to a minimum of 20km/h under the limit.

Photoradar is great because you could always see the vans a mile away. I drive a lot slower now because they use cops instead of those obvious vans.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Glacier wrote:Everyone's speed limit should be based upon their accident history. For every 10 years of accident-free you get to drive another 10km/h faster (on 80km/h+ roads only). If you get in an accident, you are set back 10km/h to a minimum of 20km/h under the limit.

Photoradar is great because you could always see the vans a mile away. I drive a lot slower now because they use cops instead of those obvious vans.

OMG..now I've heard everything. Any excuse that speeders can come up with to justify their breaking the law. I would like to see photo radar setup on bridges (ie: port Mann, Kelowna bridge) and high posts and make them random; nobody would know where they are. Set up a bunch of dummies (no ties to the speeders on here) and don't let the location of the real ones be known.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bring it back, maybe use a variety of type vehicles. Have a number of odd type of vehicles that move around the Province. Of course regular mid size vans stays in each area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

I don't care how fast or how slow someone wants to drive.

There are more vehicles on the road that are unsafe, one headlight, one taillight, don't signal, drive with foot on brake, headlights out of adjustment, can go on and on and you are worried about 5 km over.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

XT225 wrote:
OMG..now I've heard everything. Any excuse that speeders can come up with to justify their breaking the law. I would like to see photo radar setup on bridges (ie: port Mann, Kelowna bridge) and high posts and make them random; nobody would know where they are. Set up a bunch of dummies (no ties to the speeders on here) and don't let the location of the real ones be known.

Huh? The difference between someone in BC who goes 110km/h everywhere, and someone in Montana who goes 110km/h everywhere is that one is a speeder and the other isn't. One isn't less safe than the other even though he is speeding while the other isn't.

Here is my second proposal. Lower the speed limits where accident rates are really high. On sections where the accident rates are really low, do the opposite. For example, the bridge should be faster than the hill up to West Kelowna because there are a lot more accidents at those intersections going up the hill.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

anyone in favor of photo radar should have there head examined it was nothing but an unfair cash grab hence the reason it was removed we already pay to much to live in this province I don't need a photo radar ticket for going 5 over on top of that, if you cant keep up with traffic going 10 over keep right or do us all a favor and don't drive
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

A widely known study on traffic accidents resulted in something called "The Soloman Curve", a graphical representation of the relationship between traveling speeds and accident risk. It shows that the risk of mishap increases the further a driver deviates from the median traveling speed, be it faster or slower. This presents a good case for minimum limits on speed as well, such as to say if you can keep up, take the bus.

I like the idea of bringing back photo radar. It's a level playing field and a money maker to boot, at least in the beginning. It has to be sneaky though, and pervasive too, enough so that it presents a constant threat to speeders.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

This presents a good case for minimum limits on speed as well,

Aren't their signs at (especially) freeway entry points that state:

"Vehicles incapable of traveling 50kmph are not allowed on the freeway."???
Chill
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

flamingfingers wrote:Aren't their signs at (especially) freeway entry points that state:

"Vehicles incapable of traveling 50kmph are not allowed on the freeway."???

I can't say that I've noticed one recently. That's not to say they aren't there, I might have been going too fast to see them. ;)
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There is a minimum speed on the freeways of 60km/h. Whether this speed is posted or not, you will get fined if you aren't going that speed without a good reason.

Schedule 1 highways restrictions

19.07 (1) Except as authorized by a permit issued by the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, and except for crossing a highway at an intersection, use of any highway named in Schedule 1 by the following is prohibited at all times:

(e) vehicles incapable of maintaining a minimum speed of 60 km/h on level road, except construction or maintenance equipment owned or hired by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure while working on or travelling to or from a worksite located on a highway named in Schedule 1.

Schedule 1 — Highways

(1) Trans-Canada Highway #1 from the ferry terminal at Horseshoe Bay to the north approach to the Ironworkers Memorial Second Narrows Bridge; from its intersection with Rupert Street to its junction with Route #3 in Hope; from its junction with the Coquihalla Highway (Afton Interchange) on the west approach to Kamloops to its junction with the Yellowhead Highway on the east approach to Kamloops.

(2) Hope-Princeton Highway #3 from its junction with the Trans-Canada Highway in Hope to its junction with the Coquihalla Highway, 7.7 km east.

(3) Coquihalla Highway #5 from its junction with the Hope-Princeton Highway, 7.7 km east of Hope to its junction with the Trans-Canada Highway (Afton Interchange) on the west approach to Kamloops.

(4) Annacis Highway #91 from its interchange with the Vancouver-Blaine Highway to the south approach to the Annacis Bridge; from the north approach to the Annacis Bridge to the south approach to the East Channel Bridge; from the north approach to the East Channel Bridge to the Richmond Connector.

(5) Annacis Highway #91A from the Richmond Connector to the south approach to the Queensborough Bridge.

(6) Vancouver-Blaine Highway #99 from 1st Avenue in Surrey to the south approach of the Oak Street Bridge.

(7) Okanagan Connector Highway #97C from its junction with Highway 5A to its junction with Okanagan Highway 97, a total distance of approximately 84 kilometres.

(8) The Inland Island Highway 19 from Craigs Crossing south of Parksville to its intersection with Highway 19A at Willow/Tamarac in Campbell River.

(9) Highway 19 from its North Cedar Road intersection with Trans-Canada Highway 1, south of Nanaimo, to its intersection with Highway 19A north of Nanaimo.
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There should be a built in GPS in every vehicle and if you go more that 10k over it prints a ticket for you right in your car just like an ATM receipt built right into the dash.
If you run out of paper it shuts down the car and won't restart for 90 days.

There will be cars abandoned everywhere. lol
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

there should be a photo radar at every intersection, should slow down all the morons running red lights and killing people in this town
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

the truth wrote:there should be a photo radar at every intersection, should slow down all the morons running red lights and killing people in this town

They have cameras for that and they still do it. Same as photo radar it might slow down some drivers but there are the idiots that just will not stop.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Glacier wrote:There is a minimum speed on the freeways of [b]60km/h. Whether this speed is posted or not, you will get fined if you aren't going that speed without a good reason.[/b]

Very true Glacier, however there is also a "Maximum Speed Limit" which IS posted. You will get fined if you are going above that speed without a good reason. At least that's the way it SHOULD work.

Return to “B.C.”