Re: Fighting Mussels

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I think Mayor Findlater from DWK got it right. The measures announced today to combat the introduction of these invasive species into BC lakes and waterways are a step in the right direction, but it doesn't go far enough. I agree completely that there needs to be checkpoints at every major port of entry into British Columbia... be it from Alberta, the Yukon, or the USA. I think that anyone bringing a boat into the province should be required by law to enter via one of these ports of entry and must thereafter carry a inspection certificate showing that they did comply. Failure to do so should result in seizure of the boat and trailer and a very significant fine.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Well, if we could find someone who advocated HARVESTING and eating these mussels we could probably nip the problem in the bud, eh?
Chill
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

flamingfingers wrote:Well, if we could find someone who advocated HARVESTING and eating these mussels we could probably nip the problem in the bud, eh?

From what I have read, these zebra mussels have been an uncontrollable problem anywhere they have shown up, so the notion of harvesting them commercially for consumption would seem a non-starter. Perhaps you offered that bit with tongue in cheek?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Today's announcement by the Premier seems to indicate that our provincial authorities have finally "got it". Great to see the creation of permanent inspection stations to check for this invasive species. I for one, feel a bit more confident that our waters will be protected from the catastrophe that these mussels would cause.

Return to “B.C.”