ICBC: family asking for help for funerals

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: ICBC failing leaving family asking for help for funerals

Post by GordonH »

Captain Awesome wrote:None of the stories mention anyone's fault. It might as well be an accident in which case ICBC isn't obligated to pay, which leaves it on the family.

Exactly, the reason I wrote this:
GordonH wrote:Family needs a lawyer willing to do probono.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
biggoofball

Post by biggoofball »

what a bunch of BS first off she could get up to 2500$ from cpp assuming she was in the work force at one time and surely this so called loving son/family has some money to kick in? last time I did a single no survivor family funeral it was 3400$ why was this women riding a scooter in the middle of the nite to begin with where are her family helpers?
don't see where ICBC is at any fault here ? where are the family members?
Last edited by biggoofball on Apr 6th, 2015, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ 8 pm is the middle of the night, since she was near by Surrey Hospital & that about the time visit hours are over.

Maybe she was visiting someone at the Hospital.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

biggoofball wrote:what a bunch of BS first off she gets a 2500$ from cpp

What is your problem? Everyone who contributes to the CPP is eligible for this benefit if they meet eligibility requirements. And the amount is up to $2,500. It's not like you can call the government and say "hey, so and so died, send me the money".
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
biggoofball

Post by biggoofball »

removed. I suggest you re-read the rules.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Apr 6th, 2015, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
biggoofball

Post by biggoofball »

I suggest you contact a mod or admin via pm.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Apr 6th, 2015, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
biggoofball

Post by biggoofball »

Removed
Last edited by Triple 6 on Apr 6th, 2015, 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Constant challenge of a mods decision.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

fluffy wrote: There's also a further complication in that I believe scooters, like bicycles, are governed by the same rules of the road as automobiles, they are not pedestrians.

I believe that what you believe is wrong. Scooters or mobility aids are considered pedestrians. They are NOT to be driven/ridden as bicycles or vehicles. We have a few of those rambunctious users in our town.....scooting along in the slow lane...totally oblivious to traffic. I'm amazed that more of them aren't killed or injured! Here is an article that Tim Schewe did:

http://www.castanet.net/news/Behind-the ... suse-abuse
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
I am Canadian
Banned

Re: ICBC: family asking for help for funerals

Post by I am Canadian »

The gofundmelink on page one talks about a family compensation act. What is it?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

I am Canadian wrote:The gofundmelink on page one talks about a family compensation act. What is it?

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws ... 0_96126_01
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

simnut wrote:I believe that what you believe is wrong. Scooters or mobility aids are considered pedestrians.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information simnut.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
I am Canadian
Banned

Post by I am Canadian »

Tx for the link. If I understand properly the family of the deceased have to sue & go to court to get proper compensation? This is totally inhumane and unacceptable in such extreme circumstances, leaving families struggling and stranded while mourning a family member to whom they didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to.

This is BS. Time to ask for change in this province! ICBC should fork the money to cover the cost of the funerals as this is a motor accident, no matter what.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I am Canadian wrote:This is BS. Time to ask for change in this province! ICBC should fork the money to cover the cost of the funerals as this is a motor accident.

That's the question here. If no charges have been laid then no fault on the part of the driver is assumed. At least so far, we have to consider that unil the RCMP investigation is complete that it's anybody's guess. Civil proceedings won't proceed without some fault to base an action on. If that's the case then ICBC is right to back away. There must be other government agencies who are mandated to look after funeral expenses for people of low means, this can't be the first time this sort of situation has arisen.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

fluffy wrote: There's also a further complication in that I believe scooters, like bicycles, are governed by the same rules of the road as automobiles, they are not pedestrians.

Actually scooters are deemed something along the lines of a walking aid and are viewed and subject to the rules of pedestrians.

I can't recall where but we went over that in some thread dealing with a Kelowna scooter accident.

@simnut - sorry just saw your post now and had already responded to fluffy whose post was on an earlier page when I came across yours.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

I realize the family involved is "low income" and the death was sudden, but it shows a real lack of planning that they didn't have something set up before hand. Why is it societies' cost to bury the poor woman? What if she had died of a heart attack? Would they still be after public money? Even if they are granted public money to pay for the funeral, it is likely that it will be several weeks, or even months before it comes through. (Thank goodness for the gofundme.).

(I understand that comes across as pretty hard-nosed.)

Again, I understand that they are low income - but if this lady was able to obtain a scooter, then surely she could afford the insurance of $40 a year? (Protects against almost all losses - fire, theft, accidents - regardless of who caused them...).

I understand that most people do not know that insurance can be bought for mobility scooters, but it is a good idea. I am the first to admit that it might be more than $40 down at the coast.

I am sure the family will raise the money. I do feel horrible for them for their sudden loss.

Return to “B.C.”