ICBC: family asking for help for funerals

I am Canadian
Banned

ICBC: family asking for help for funerals

Post by I am Canadian »

Why is ICBC not handing out the cash to pay for this woman's funerals? This government makes me sick.

My condolences and sympathy to her family in these atrocious times.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/136922/ ... ft-reeling
omisimaw
Guru

Re: ICBC failing leaving family asking for help for funerals

Post by omisimaw »

To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else. - David A. Bednar
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

At the risk of sounding insensitive, if no charges are being pursued wouldn't that indicate that the victim was crossing against the light and that the driver did in fact have a legal right of way ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

fluffy wrote:At the risk of sounding insensitive, if no charges are being pursued wouldn't that indicate that the victim was crossing against the light and that the driver did in fact have a legal right of way ?

That would explain why ICBC is not paying out.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

So what happens if they can't raise $6,000 for a funeral? That seems like a basic amount, my Grandma's was way more than that.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

So driver was turning left, did not see the person crossing legally on a scooter due to rain. So this driver get off because it deemed an accidental.

Family needs a lawyer willing to do probono.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:So driver was turning left, did not see the person crossing legally on a scooter due to rain. So this driver get off because it deemed an accidental.

Family needs a lawyer willing to do probono.

I agree, isn't ICBC's job to pay for "accidents"
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:So driver was turning left, did not see the person crossing legally...

Do we know that for sure ? Don't you think that if the driver was in the wrong, especially when the outcome was so dire, that he/she would have been charged accordingly ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ For the driver to be able to turn left the other traffic direction in on a red light. All type of pedestrians travel can cross on those with red light red.
If it had been advance green that would have placed the scooter in the wrong, since that was not the case. I suspect what I written could have been what happen, driver just did not see the person that was hit (it can rain very heavy in lower mainland).

Your right we don't know for sure

My condolences to family & friends of the deceased
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

GordonH wrote:If it had been advance green that would have placed the scooter in the wrong...

That was the first thing that came to my mind, that the scooter was in the crosswalk against a "Don't Walk" signal. There's also a further complication in that I believe scooters, like bicycles, are governed by the same rules of the road as automobiles, they are not pedestrians. It just makes sense to me that the driver has the law on his/her side, seeing that poor visibility is not an excuse for poor driving, it's a reason to slow down. Any other circumstances would have seen the driver charged, and thus liable for the victim's expenses.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Unless you can get Police report, will not know which was in the wrong.
Since ICBC went no fault, why.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Funeral has to be paid for and the bill submitted before they receive the money from the government.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

None of the stories mention anyone's fault. It might as well be an accident in which case ICBC isn't obligated to pay, which leaves it on the family. Sad, but it happens.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “B.C.”