Why I love BC

mexi cali
Guru

Why I love BC

Post by mexi cali »

Seems to me that there are lots of negative conversations circulating about what a crappy place BC is.

I as a free thinking, opinionated, not always as informed as I should be before commenting contributor, am happy to live here.

We live where many want to be yet we always seem to be trashing it.

What say you?

I think I am lucky to be here.
Last edited by mexi cali on Apr 21st, 2015, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Why I love BC

Post by Bunnyhop »

I love living in BC. We have the best of the 4 seasons (winters not generally too cold, summers not generally too hot), recreational opportunities outside our back door, most of the province is underpopulated. We've raised a family in BC and feel the kids got a decent education. Can't imagine living anywhere else.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I have lived, worked and travelled in a number of places around the world and all in all I would say BC is, all things taken into consideration by far the best. I do go snowbirding in the winter but that is because due to health issues that we can't really take advantage of BC's wonderful winters. Arizona where amongst other things we can get out in the sun everyday and do things more suitable to us is a nice alternative that we are lucky enough to be able to take advantage of. When the day comes that we can no longer do it for whatever reason we will be very happy to stay in BC with some wonderful memories of days gone by. The few little bumps on the road are easily worth it to live here. Am I happy with everything, definitely not, never would be anywhere.

BC is our number 1 choice, especially if we had to live somewhere year round.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have been all over the world and by far this is the best I have seen. I enjoy visiting the others but always return.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'd say compared to some other provinces I'd consider, BC is fairly small business friendly and the tax level is decent.
Also as far as weather goes, there's something for everyone depending where in BC you live.

Love is a strong word though, better than most provinces for sure.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Seems to me that there are lots of negative conversations circulating about what a crappy place BC is.......

.....We live where many want to be yet we always seem to be trashing it.

I was born and raised in BC and so was my wife. (Both of us are from the Okanagan actually) Among us rare born and raised locals who never left for greener pastures I find there are little to no complaints about this province.

I find that a lot of the negativity comes from people who moved here from somewhere else and wanted everything they liked about their old home plus our weather and beautiful landscape. That certainly does not apply to all people who've come here from somewhere else in the country, it comes from people who basically expected to be able to move all the best parts of their "old life" into a nicer setting. You can't win with people like that. They're not interested in adapting and accepting , they want it all.

The only real real bummer about this province is the fact that there are people of that nature who live here and tend to be so vocal about their complaints.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

OREZ wrote:
I was born and raised in BC and so was my wife. (Both of us are from the Okanagan actually) Among us rare born and raised locals who never left for greener pastures I find there are little to no complaints about this province.

I find that a lot of the negativity comes from people who moved here from somewhere else and wanted everything they liked about their old home plus our weather and beautiful landscape. That certainly does not apply to all people who've come here from somewhere else in the country, it comes from people who basically expected to be able to move all the best parts of their "old life" into a nicer setting. You can't win with people like that. They're not interested in adapting and accepting , they want it all.

The only real real bummer about this province is the fact that there are people of that nature who live here and tend to be so vocal about their complaints.

I'm a Caucasian BC resident and can trace my BC lineage back to 1810 and perhaps earlier. Many of the geographical features along the coast bear my family name from early explorations. As such, I've lost count of the number of generations of my ancestors that have been able to say born and raised in BC.

While it is not easy to recognize here in the interior because the coast was settled much earlier, if you live on the coast you will quickly realize that BC has much more in common economically, culturally and historically with other pan pacific countries, rather than the country known as Canada.

From that context, I would suggest that your comments are both right and wrong. Yes, there are a lot of "Canadians" that come to BC, but I don't think that they complain, as much as want to change BC to be more like Canada. The problem is that those of us with history here, do not want to be more like Canada, and I am proud to say that I am one of the complainers, not because I don't like BC, but because I don't want it to be anything like Canada.

Is BC the best place on earth? Yes.

But BC has a destiny to be it much greater than a province in Canada, and I will fight and complain and do whatever I can to keep BC as BC, what it was in the past, and what it should be in the future.

If you truly love BC, then the only choice is to make it a distinct country, separate, and send those whining Canadians back to the prairies.....

Sorry if that sounds like a complaint.

Return to “B.C.”