$50M lotto winner wants to remain anonymous

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

$50M lotto winner wants to remain anonymous

Post by oneh2obabe »

CTV Vancouver
Published Monday, April 27, 2015 12:24PM PDT
Last Updated Monday, April 27, 2015 5:06PM PDT

The mysterious individual trying to take home B.C.’s long-unclaimed Lotto Max fortune is fighting for the right to collect the money anonymously.

The $50 million prize was drawn in March 2014, but the ticket holder famously didn’t come forward until days before the one-year claim deadline – potentially missing out on $900,000 in interest.

Seven weeks later, the potential winner’s name is still private and the riches remain in the custody of the B.C. Lottery Corporation.

CTV News has learned the person claiming to be the rightful winner wants to stay out of the spotlight, despite contractual obligations required of all lottery winners in the province.

Under the BCLC’s rules and regulations, all winners must give the corporation the right to publish their name, address, place of residence and a recent photograph.

If they refuse, the BCLC claims it has “no obligation to pay or deliver a prize.”

BCLC spokeswoman Laura Piva-Babcock said the rules are designed to maintain public confidence in the lottery system.

“That’s really about the integrity and the transparency around winners. People buy tickets, they want to know that people do win those prizes,” Piva-Babcock said.

Winners are also usually asked to accept an oversized cheque in a small ceremony, but CTV News has learned the person claiming B.C.’s latest $50 million prize is prepared to take the BCLC to court to maintain anonymity.

Civil lawyer Andi Mackay, who specializes in contract law, said it’s unlikely a judge would rule against the BCLC if the issue ever does go to court.

Full article
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/person-claiming-50 ... -1.2347037
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: $50M lotto winner wants to remain anonymous

Post by GordonH »

Know the limits, play within the rules. If people don't like rules on back of tickets, then don't play the lottery. Pretty simple
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
cubafreak
Board Meister

Post by cubafreak »

Ha Ha guess who is going to collect most of that 50 million!! what a fool
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What comes to my mind first: Who have they dealt treacherou$ly with that would come calling once the word is out?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Who comes to mind first is relatives you haven't seen in years.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

They waited almost a full year, in that time change your phone #'s & make them unlisted. Still leaves your current address (old phone books), unless you have big attachment to the home 50 million can get you very nice replacement. Don't need to move far to throw people off your location.

But hey, my name has not been in phonebook for 20+ years
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

I don't think any of the provincial lottery corporations publish your actual address - it's just the city.

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ With that & phone directory you can track them down, unless they are not listed.
Of course if the winner last name is Smith or Jones then forget about. lol
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I think it's a terrible idea. I'm pretty sure that's my long lost cousin and I need to reconnect with them suddenly.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I can only imagine how popular I'd be if the world knew I came into a "lott o loot "..

My sister in law would forgive me. So would the many "ex's"..

Dumbassed , no helmet wearing ,AVT crashing ,Fort Mac workin dudes with wifes who make thick as nurses would ask me to "gofundthem" to fix the dog he squashed with riding at night.....likkered...

Who would want the world to know ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

So, would someone in witness protection be foolish enough to buy lottery tickets?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

kgcayenne wrote:So, would someone in witness protection be foolish enough to buy lottery tickets?

Hahaha !

Good question !
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

If I won $50M, I'd take out TV ads to let the world know that I've won. Then I'd unplug my phone on my way to Caribbeans and let the voice mail worry about it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

This winner's ex must be quite fearsome.
Chris Gregor

Post by Chris Gregor »

Alot of speculation but the article linked below may shed some light on who or why this person may want to remain anonymous however it could be someone completely different. Could be linked though.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1871764/50-million-lotto-max-prize-remains-unclaimed-just-days-before-deadline/

Return to “B.C.”