Earl's server's racial remarks prompt apology

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Earl's server's racial remarks prompt apology

Post by maryjane48 »

Earls Restaurants has apologized after a server in their Prince George, B.C. restaurant made racial remarks to aboriginal filmmaker Laura Milliken three weeks ago.

I don't think that this young lady is racist. I think she said the wrong thing.
- Laura Milliken, filmmaker
The Toronto-based filmmaker, who is Ojibwe, says she was shocked by the incident, which occurred while was visiting the northern city to work on a documentary about keeping aboriginal youth in school.

Milliken was eating at the upmarket restaurant with a colleague, also Ojibwe, and the pair were having what she describes as a "nice conversation" with their server, when things took an unexpected turn, she says.

"My colleague said, 'My father was concerned because he heard there was a very really high crime rate in Prince George,'" Milliken told Daybreak North's Russell Bowers.

"The server responded it was because of all the aboriginal people, specifically the homeless aboriginal people."

Milliken said she told the server her statement stereotypes aboriginal people.

"That's when I told her I'm Ojibwe, and she said, 'Oh, I'm so sorry.'"

'We all have to learn from this'

Milliken followed up with the management at the restaurant, and is asking for staff to undergo sensitivity training.

"I don't think that this young lady is racist. I think she said the wrong thing. I think I had to tell her that she said the wrong thing and I think we all have to learn from this and think about what we're saying," she said.

Earls Restaurants have since sent a letter to Milliken, apologizing for the incident. It goes on to say the issue has been addressed at the restaurant.

"We have spoken to our First Nations team members and asked that our next staff meetings are centred around the issue of sensitivity in this matter," reads the letter, which is signed by spokesperson Cate Simpson.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3061871

how often does this happen to a non first nations when they go to a place to eat? education is key , starting with kindergarten on up , it seems part of the courses need to be including a first nations are not the only ones who drink or live without a home .
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Earls Restaurant server's racial remarks prompt apology

Post by Liquidnails »

That's a tactless thing to say to a customer. However, having lived in PG and other northern communities I can say it's clear that increasing Aboriginal crime and incarceration rates are a major social issue, as is prejudice and racism. I'm not sure how we would address the issue, but based on how the USA treats their black population I'd be looking somewhere else for inspiration.

Homeless people in general are treated, and regarded as *bleep* regardless of their background.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

However, having lived in PG and other northern communities I can say it's clear that increasing Aboriginal crime and incarceration rates are a major social issue,
right , but the issue is do we address by saying well its just bunch drunk natives , or do we look at causation . im also interested if there were 200 people and 100 were non native and 100 were fn , do you think the fn group would have more drug abuse and if so why?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

While it's certainly inappropriate for a server to say that to a customer, I'd want to see the statistics in Prince George before suggesting it's not true.

I don't think it's fair to deliberately call it stereotyping either, until we know whether or not it's factually true.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

[quote="FreeRights"]While it's certainly inappropriate for a server to say that to a customer, I'd want to see the statistics in Prince George before suggesting it's not true.

I don't think it's fair to deliberately call it stereotyping either, until we know whether or not it's factually true.[/quote lol come on just say it, you think natives abuse drugs more than non natives. when i lived in pg i saw more non natives drunk and high by a factor of 1 to 100
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lakevixen wrote: come on just say it, you think natives abuse drugs more than non natives. when i lived in pg i saw more non natives drunk and high by a factor of 1 to 100

I didn't say that at all. I've never been to Prince George, nor have I read any crime statistics from there. It would be unfair for me to stake claim to either side at this time.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

well doesn't matter what the numbers are , its wrong to make sweeping generalizations, one could say per capita in pg there is more drug abuse going on , but there are more non natives abusing drugs because the fn are out numbered 100 to 1 off reserve in most places
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lakevixen wrote:well doesn't matter what the numbers are , its wrong to make sweeping generalizations, one could say per capita in pg there is more drug abuse going on , but there are more non natives abusing drugs because the fn are out numbered 100 to 1 off reserve in most places

Your claim might be true. So might hers'. Again, I don't have the statistics - doubt you do either - that proves it either way.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

lakevixen wrote:well doesn't matter what the numbers are , its wrong to make sweeping generalizations, one could say per capita in pg there is more drug abuse going on , but there are more non natives abusing drugs because the fn are out numbered 100 to 1 off reserve in most places

How would one describe an issue with a certain race , OR not , without first identifying that race..

I'm white , or Caucasian if you will .. I'm also male.. How else could I be described without being racist or sexist.

I agree that the comment was inappropriate but it's because of the ignorance of fact based on the statistics. Not the identification of a certain colour of gender people .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

How would one describe an issue with a certain race , OR not , without first identifying that race..

I'm white , or Caucasian if you will .. I'm also male.. How else could I be described without being racist or sexist.

I agree that the comment was inappropriate but it's because of the ignorance of fact based on the statistics. Not the identification of a certain colour of gender people .
everyone is human , that's how it should be described, why do you want to break it down by race to begin with ? why not come up with a plan that will work for everyone ?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

To see whether or not natives commit more crimes than Caucasians, all you have to do is to check the stats on jail population in proportions to the total Canadian population.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

To LV; A serious question.

If we considered for a moment that the statement made by the server was representative of the truth and could be backed statistically, would that statement be considered to be simply truthful or would it be considered racist?

No judgment here. An honest question.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Why is this even a news story?

If someone is so easily offended at what someone else says, maybe its them that has the issue and not the person making the comment.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

just look it up...

probably not the homeless but the youth that is possibly the problem.

http://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrcs ... x-eng.aspx
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

Gixxer wrote:Why is this even a news story?

If someone is so easily offended at what someone else says, maybe its them that has the issue and not the person making the comment.

Agree 100%. Dam "whitey" can't find anything better to report as news worthy.

Return to “B.C.”