No smoking in Whistler anymore

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

No smoking in Whistler anymore

Post by maryjane48 »

On May 31, 2015, Whistler Blackcomb will celebrate World No Tobacco Day by introducing a new smoke-free policy. The policy will prohibit smoking anywhere on Whistler Blackcomb property, including lift lines, chairlifts, gondolas, ski runs, hiking trails, valley base areas, parking lots, Whistler Mountain Bike Park trails and all Whistler Blackcomb bar and restaurant locations, including patios.

“We have made the decision to introduce a smoke-free policy at Whistler Blackcomb to preserve the pristine alpine environment our guests come here for,” says Dave Brownlie, President and CEO at Whistler Blackcomb. “We also recognize as a leader in the outdoor adventure and wellness industry and as the largest employer in the Whistler community, we have a responsibility to our guests and staff to provide a safe and healthy environment for work and play. We believe implementing this new policy aligns with this goal.”

Whistler Blackcomb’s new smoke-free policy will apply to both guests and staff. While the policy will prohibit guests from smoking on Whistler Blackcomb property effective immediately on May 31, 2015, Whistler Blackcomb staff will be permitted to smoke in designated smoking areas for one year as they adjust to the company’s new policy. During the one year period, Whistler Blackcomb will provide tools and resources to assist staff with quitting smoking. As of May 31, 2016, Whistler Blackcomb’s smoke-free policy will also apply to all staff.

An information booth will be set up in Skier’s Plaza on Sunday, May 31 to launch the new policy. Whistler Blackcomb leaders will be on-site to answer any questions as well as representatives from Vancouver Coastal Health, who will have cessation resources and information about the health benefits of quitting smoking on-hand.

“By taking this important step, Whistler Blackcomb is demonstrating it is a strong ambassador for health. We know many young people ski and snowboard, and youth who haven’t started using tobacco by the time they are 26 years old will most likely never start,” says Vancouver Coastal Health Medical Health Officer, Dr. Paul Martiquet. “Eliminating smoking in public places, such as on our mountains, creates healthy role modeling so youth, and others, are less likely to even consider using tobacco.”

The decision to become a smoke-free recreation area and employer aligns with Whistler Blackcomb’s core values of Safety First and We Care, as well as the company’s goal to be health-oriented and family friendly. In addition, the smoke-free policy will help mitigate the risk of forest fires on Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains.

this should be the law everywhere on public outdoor lands , and im a smoker now and then

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/05/15 ... -property/
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: no smoking in whistler anymore

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't ever smoke but think its a bit much. The parking lot?lol
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

jimmy4321 wrote:I don't ever smoke but think its a bit much. The parking lot?lol

but how many wildfires are started by folks smoking , who prolly have the first one in the parking lot? , the whole idea is to prevent people from bringing them there in first place . no smokes . no temptation . i'm wondering if vapes are included ?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lakevixen wrote: but how many wildfires are started by folks smoking , who prolly have the first one in the parking lot? , the whole idea is to prevent people from bringing them there in first place . no smokes . no temptation . i'm wondering if vapes are included ?

Whistler Blackcomb resort bans smoking, including marijuana, everywhere on its property Vancouver Sun, May 15, 2015

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Whis ... story.html

And when the resort says no smoking, it really means it. The ban includes medical marijuana. So the Ross Rebagliatis of the world will be out of luck as smoking of any kind (tobacco, marijuana, e-cigarettes and vaporizers) is prohibited anywhere on Whistler Blackcomb property

Leave it to a Vancouver Sun article to have it titled, "even marijuana..."
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Re: No smoking in Whistler anymore

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

^^^

Works for me. If you're going to say 'no smoking' it should include everyone, tobacco or marijuana. Smoking is smoking after all.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

jimmy4321 wrote:I don't ever smoke but think its a bit much. The parking lot?lol

Seems too much for me to... Complain about someone havin a butt next to your carbon fume belching SUV while it's warming up so your *bleep* doesn't get cold sitting on those fancy leather seats?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

As a medical marijuana patient. I will no longer be spending anytime at whistler.

Medical marijuana patients have a right to use their medicine. Currently Health Canada only allows you to smoke your medicine.

This is discrimination. You would not prevent some one from taking anxiety or pain medication.

If prescribed you should always be allowed to consume your medicine as long as you try to be respectful of others around you.

I hope a medical marijuana patient challanges this and a lawyer backs the case.

I believe this is unconstitutional and wrong to deny someone from being able to medicate themselves.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Can't you vaporize it Isn't that medically preferred? Does that pass in whistler?
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

LiamHaddock wrote:As a medical marijuana patient. I will no longer be spending anytime at whistler.

Medical marijuana patients have a right to use their medicine. Currently Health Canada only allows you to smoke your medicine.

This is discrimination. You would not prevent some one from taking anxiety or pain medication.

If prescribed you should always be allowed to consume your medicine as long as you try to be respectful of others around you.

I hope a medical marijuana patient challanges this and a lawyer backs the case.

I believe this is unconstitutional and wrong to deny someone from being able to medicate themselves.

Why not just take a flap of heroin to whistler instead, just make sure you bring a needle.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

I thought this was a discussion about Whistler banning smoking tobacco?
Weed is a side issue in this discussion - IMO.

As an x smoker - smoked over 40 years and just finally was able to quit 3 years ago.
I heartily endorse Whistler's decision and anywhere else that bans smoking.
My lungs are shot because, I was doing what was at the time, a socially acceptable practice..

If this will stop anyone from starting, or help in stopping smoking then I fully agree.
If you have to use weed for medical purposes, then there will possibly be an acceptable area for you to use.

It seems to me that you would just have to ask - or bring up the subject of medical weed in a responsible manner and you will get a responsible and thoughtful response.
You approach the matter as a bull in a china shop then expect to get treated as a bull.

If you are going to exclude trips to Whistler because you can't smoke there, I do not think it will hurt the business at Whistler one little bit.
I think this is a proper move by the Whistler council that will increase business and overall visits to the community.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

It specifically says they are banning medical marijuana as well. I would probably just eat edibles even though they are against the law. It's just silly though it's not hard to be accommodating of medical patients. Marijuana also has many medical benifits. It just sucks there is such a stigma. I used to be hooked on oxys and now all I do is eat and smoke marjiuana. Way better than being hooked on pills. It's funny they are not banning alcohol at the mountain. I guess drunks are fine eh! It's ok thankfully big white and silver star are still close and haven't made the same silly policy.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm sure they'll be having an executive meeting right away seeing how set you are on leaving them.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

...and just how many times in the past decade have you visited Whistler? I'm going to suggest "Zero" if you somehow can compare a municipal entity (Village of Whistler) to a couple of ski hills. I can understand you being vocal if this actually had any impact on you whatsoever - but it doesn't.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

It's sad how many of you are close minded. All I'm saying is they should provide an area for patients to consume their medicine. Yet some how what I'm asking is unreasonable.

I have been to whistler many times as my uncle has 2 condos there. I don't plan on going again out of principle. I don't like or support businesses/communities that discriminate against people with medical needs. Which is exactly what banning medical marijuana does. Lots of places ban smoking but allow medical marijuana still.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Hope this idea spreads to other communities.

Return to “B.C.”