Family of former B.C. MLA angry at Christy Clark

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Family of former B.C. MLA angry at Christy Clark

Post by maryjane48 »

The family of a former B.C. Liberal MLA is angry with Premier Christy Clark, stating they specifically requested his death not be announced in the legislature.
According to Sylvia, within two hours of her brother's death she had heard rumours of the planned announcement.

According to her cell phone records, she phoned the office of Boundary Similkameen MLA Linda Larson at 11:44 a.m. requesting that her family's privacy be respected.

"Heedlessly at 1:32 p.m., Ms. Clark made a statement in the House about John's death," Sylvia wrote. "Could you have given us 24 hours, 12 hours, six hours? Could you have contacted a family member directly?"

In an interview, Slater said the family should have been contacted as to if and when a statement could be made. She said fortunately all family members learned of John's death prior to reading it in the media.

"He was a brother, father, uncle, nephew and son. To others, he was a friend and to many more he was a public figure and servant. My question is, where is the line that deems one relationship more important than another and whose needs in a relationship should be first considered?"

She acknowledged that her brother was a public figure but noted he had been out of office since 2012.

"Shame on you Ms. Clark for again, not putting a family first," she wrote.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3077953

seems be a fair amount of shame headed mz clarks way
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Family of former B.C. MLA angry at Christy Clark

Post by GordonH »

Could not even follow the simplest of requests.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

going to give Christy the benefit of the doubt that she didn't get that message.

She phoned the MLA office at 11:44....possibly 15 min before the secretary went for lunch...

said secretary possibly tried to contact the MLA...went on lunch.

Where was the MLA and what was he doing exactly at that time...possibly left voice or txt message.

Secretary got back from lunch at 1230 probably tried again. maybe they did reach eachother then tried to contact Christy Clark...what was she doing at that time. Left message or txt message.

Or Secretary maybe still tried to get a hold of MLA cause he was in a meeting.

a lot of things are happening between the time they received the call not to say something to the actual announcement.

then again there are the ones that complain that would say...why isn't Christy clark acknowledging the passing?

one of those..damn if you do...damn if you don't...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

My only thought would be that just like the police saying "they won't release the name till the next of kin is notified", I don't believe they should make an announcement like this without permission from the family. Just my feelings as I know I would not like it if it was my family.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Its not a matter of damned if you do and damned if you don't. They all have cell phones, including CClark. A phone call would have done it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

The point is with some of the haters on this forum it matters not what the Premier does, because they'll spin it into something bad.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

So whos at fault that she didnt get a phone call? Her fault still?
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

In my mind it would be up to her to have family consent before she made an announcement like that. Especially in that venue where you know it will immediately be passed on by media.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

When someone dies, this fact should be public knowledge along with how they died. That's my opinion anyway.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I disagree, it should be up to the Family what information & how much should be disclosed to media.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”