Cable highway dividers

Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Re: Cable highway dividers

Post by Donald G »

To Zoso ...

Sometimes what appears to be is at odds with what is true.

I would go with the data provided by Hassel99 over "what appears" to be the case.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Zoso wrote:Well I cannot argue with your copy and pasteing prowess . All I know is I would rather slide off a damn barrier than get tangled up in cable with angle iron stakes in it . It's likely due to the fact riders would be terrified of it and all costs avoid it . But. ... Black and white , must be true .

Its safer for bikes, I agree. But its not much safer and its way more dangerous for 97% of the other vehicles.

Are you saying you prefer to make it way more dangerous for most for the trade off of a tiny bit less dangerous for very few?
Does that sound fair?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

The safety of cement barriers.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/motorcyclist- ... -1.2441232

One man is dead following a late afternoon crash on 25 Avenue Southeast near Spiller Road.

According to EMS spokesperson Adam Loria, an EMS crew was dispatched to 25 Ave. S.E. shortly before 6:00 p.m. following reports of a motorcycle crash.The lifeless body of an adult male was located at the scene.

The man’s age has not been confirmed. No other injuries have been reported.

Calgary police are investigating the crash but initial reports indicate the motorcycle struck a cement barrier.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To Always Sunny ...

You have again identified that there is NO perfect system of making roads safer, except perhaps to eliminate a number of "driving challenged" people who presently hold licences.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Donald G wrote:To Always Sunny ...

You have again identified that there is NO perfect system of making roads safer, except perhaps to eliminate a number of "driving challenged" people who presently hold licences.

They're making the drive from the airport to LC safer by installing cement barriers all through that death zone it seems.

You're totally right. There is no perfect way to make the road safer. Apparently the only thing there is control over is the direction in which a vehicle pinballs when a driver loses focus.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Always Sunny wrote:They're making the drive from the airport to LC safer by installing cement barriers all through that death zone it seems.

You're totally right. There is no perfect way to make the road safer. Apparently the only thing there is control over is the direction in which a vehicle pinballs when a driver loses focus.

Acutally there are very good ways of making the highways safer. The vast majority of accidents happen at intersections, so installing a concrete median down the middle only stops a small fraction of the accidents. Removing the traffic lights would prevent 10 times the number accidents.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Just go with the flow man...
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

The picture suggests that the cars use the sidewalks, or areas where one would expect to find a sidewalk, as well. I wonder if the reason that there are so few pedestrians is because the human body does not stand up too well to the impact of a front bumper ??
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

They actually seem exceptionally good at missing everything. We don't do that well in controlled situations with half the traffic.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “B.C.”