Conservation officer has a big heart

crybabycry

Re: Conservation officer has a big heart

Post by crybabycry »

Fancy wrote:Bear meat is suppose to be quite good.

I've tried it. It's horrible.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've talked to too many people that have tried it as well - prepared and cooked right it tastes like pork from all accounts. Anything can taste horrible if not done right.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Fancy wrote:The freezer was INSIDE the home - a fact that a couple of posters have missed.

Yes, i missed that.

Very perceptive bear.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We're a meat eating, hunting family but I'm on team bear. When we move into their home we deal with the consequences. We are not removed from the food chain as much as we like to think so. The CO made the right decision.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
crybabycry

Post by crybabycry »

Fancy wrote:I've talked to too many people that have tried it as well - prepared and cooked right it tastes like pork from all accounts. Anything can taste horrible if not done right.

That's true, of course but I think it has more to do with how an animal's diet greatly affects the way it tastes. Bears are omnivores - in fact, they're disturbingly omnivorous. You just never know what they've been into. You might be eating a bear who's been gorging himself on berries for the last two weeks or he could have been eating diapers and other garbage. Not worth the trouble, in my opinion with so many other more consistently tasty sources of meat.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Back on topic please. If you want to discuss various cooking methods for wild game, start another thread in the food forum. Thanks.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Hackers broke into the ministry and released the emails that asked for the deaths of these cubs.

LOL.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3147003
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder if the Conservaton Officer has EVER felt it warranted to "put an animal down". I do not see how he or she could have reached that level of service without ever having done so ??
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Here's a follow up to this story - 5 years later:
The Supreme Court of Canada will not review a lower-court ruling that was a victory for a conservation officer who refused to euthanize two bear cubs.

Bryce Casavant was dismissed from his job for choosing not to shoot the cubs in 2015 after their mother was destroyed for repeatedly raiding a home near Port Hardy on Vancouver Island.

Casavant's union filed a grievance on his behalf under its collective agreement, but he reached a settlement with his employer before arbitration was completed.

Casavant later argued in court that disciplinary actions should have taken place in accordance with British Columbia's Police Act, given the nature of his employment as a special provincial constable.

The B.C. Court of Appeal accepted this view last June and nixed Casavant's firing, prompting the B.C. Government and Service Employees' Union to seek a hearing in the Supreme Court.

The union appealed to the high court to gain clarity on the role of collective agreements when members with special constable status face discipline.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/322593 ... ubs#322593

And another thread on it:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63713&start=30
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

He's still in limbo? Doesn't sound like he's been reinstated. Hopefully there's light at the end of this dark tunnel for him and he's back at work now or will be soon.

https://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/ ... -to-court/
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

Where is the money coming from to rehabilitate them until they get old enough to release?? And how well do you think the Cubs are going to do once they've been raised by humans for a long enough period of time.
And if they plan on just releasing them into the wild right away then yeah I'm sure being ripped apart by another Predator is way better than humanely putting them down..
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

common_sense_guy wrote:Where is the money coming from to rehabilitate them until they get old enough to release?? And how well do you think the Cubs are going to do once they've been raised by humans for a long enough period of time.
And if they plan on just releasing them into the wild right away then yeah I'm sure being ripped apart by another Predator is way better than humanely putting them down..
You know they were sent to the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre.
Pitapants
Fledgling

Post by Pitapants »

common_sense_guy wrote:Where is the money coming from to rehabilitate them until they get old enough to release?? And how well do you think the Cubs are going to do once they've been raised by humans for a long enough period of time.
I don't mind chipping in.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Fancy wrote:He's still in limbo? Doesn't sound like he's been reinstated. Hopefully there's light at the end of this dark tunnel for him and he's back at work now or will be soon.

https://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/ ... -to-court/
He got shuffled to s different ministry. Then he joined the NDP and got his sorry *bleep* handed to him on election night, finishing in last place among the big 3 parties. Then in 2020 he cried that Horgan called an illegal election. He should just go away, far away, and play with a hungry bear.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “B.C.”