Forest Fire Tax

vernongeek

Forest Fire Tax

Post by vernongeek »

Knowing that our forest fire budget in BC was burned up this year already and we are not even half way into the season. Perhaps BC should introduce a new forest fire tax. Not sure how to apply the rules on this, but it seems around 40% of forest fires are human caused. I am sure a majority of these are cigarettes.

According to smoke-free.ca there is enough room for BC to increase it's taxes on smokes and we can be comparable to the other provinces on smoking tax rates.

We could even take this one step further, and add the tax to Fireworks and other main causes of forest fires.

Just wanted to see thoughts on this from other people?

Here is a link I found specifically on Tobacco tax rates in BC.

http://www.smoke-free.ca/factsheets/pdf ... ve2012.pdf
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Forest Fire Tax

Post by zookeeper »

Or, we could just figure out a way to tax stupid.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

vernongeek wrote:We could even take this one step further, and add the tax to Fireworks and other main causes of forest fires.

You could increase campground fees since a lot of fires are caused by unattended campfires.
Also increase alcohol taxes since a lot of people who leave those unattended campfires are probably drunk.
Tax ATV users.
The list goes on and on.

http://bcwildfire.ca/Prevention/prevent_wildfires.htm
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I think I pay moooorrre than enough in taxes already if they were to manage are existing tax dollars in a more efficient manner there would be more than enough money. Why is everbodys answer to things to just add another tax where do think the average tax payer is supposed to magically come up with more money to hand over to an already inefficient government. Wages stay the same cost of living keeps getting higher and you suggest another tax guess you have to much money already!
dakoda62
Fledgling

Post by dakoda62 »

Transfer money from the welfare budget, they seem to never run out of cash.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

How are you "sure" that the majority are caused by cigarettes? I happen to agree that probably many are, and I am a non smoker, but that is different than being sure of it.
You and 71 others Like this post
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

LANDM wrote:How are you "sure" that the majority are caused by cigarettes? I happen to agree that probably many are, and I am a non smoker, but that is different than being sure of it.

Well said!!! *thumbs up*
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

viewtopic.php?f=107&t=62864
already being discussed.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

Return to “B.C.”