Water a commodity?

jamapple
Übergod

Water a commodity?

Post by jamapple »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#144118

Never been a big fan of Judy Tyabji, but do wonder about the ramifications of this?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: Water a commodity?

Post by gman313 »

Definitely needs to be considered when you look at how NAFTA would handicap us we are better off to leave it as is.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 15th, 2015, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

gman313 wrote:Definitely needs to be considered when you look at how NAFTA would handicap us we are better off to leave it as is.

Either way it rather seems like we are getting bent over a barrel in this situation. Amending NAFTA would seem to be in our best interest in this case as it seems completely nuts that if we don't let them take it for free they can just take it whenever they want it.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

This is what we get when we have a political party in power at the time that thinks crap like this is a good idea.
I say we're screwed!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I think we should just tell nestle to take a hike problem solved its our water don't like it tough luck
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

I think that you guys are missing the bigger picture.

The BC groundwater rate set by the BC Liberals is for access to water, not the water itself, so it is not a commodity, and does not qualify under NAFTA. But if it did, and we started exporting water as a commodity, we can never stop nor reduce the amount, no matter how bad we need it.

But the bigger picture is that the BC Liberal rate is for all groundwater. Nestle represents a minute amount of water usage compared with the amount of water that fracking is expected to use under the BC Liberal LNG plans. Christy has set the groundwater rate dirt cheap for her LNG friends in exchange for massive political donations.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Joe Public wrote:I think that you guys are missing the bigger picture.

The BC groundwater rate set by the BC Liberals is for access to water, not the water itself, so it is not a commodity, and does not qualify under NAFTA. But if it did, and we started exporting water as a commodity, we can never stop nor reduce the amount, no matter how bad we need it.

But the bigger picture is that the BC Liberal rate is for all groundwater. Nestle represents a minute amount of water usage compared with the amount of water that fracking is expected to use under the BC Liberal LNG plans. Christy has set the groundwater rate dirt cheap for her LNG friends in exchange for massive political donations.

Every resource in Canada is for sale, it's only matter (if they haven't already) of time before US demands our water for their drought area's.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “B.C.”