Water Restrictions Vancouver

Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Water Restrictions Vancouver

Post by Symbonite »

I see that you can not water the lawn in Vancouver. Yet we are hotter here in the Okanagan and we don't have those restrictions. Time to go full ban for any outside watering....including golf courses.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Water Restrictions Vancouver

Post by the truth »

agree,no reason for golf courses to be watering at this stage
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Symbonite wrote:I see that you can not water the lawn in Vancouver. Yet we are hotter here in the Okanagan and we don't have those restrictions. Time to go full ban for any outside watering....including golf courses.

We get more precipitation in the summer though, and that's what matters. Also, there are over 2 million people using the reservoir down there while we only have 1/10th that amount using the reservoirs around Kelowna.

Stage 3 or 4 water restrictions are based upon how much water is left to be used at a sustainable level, not on how hot the temperature is outside. Vernon was on stage 4 a few years back, not because there was drought, but rather because some dude left the gate open on the reservoir.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote:
Stage 3 or 4 water restrictions are based upon how much water is left to be used at a sustainable level, not on how hot the temperature is outside. Vernon was on stage 4 a few years back, not because there was drought, but rather because some dude left the gate open on the reservoir.

Seriously? That cannot be public knowledge or there would have been a media storm. A lot of people were impacted by that restriction economically and I sure didn't hear about heads rolling. Sounds like it was a "keep it quiet" incident so there were no lawsuits.
Hope the water authority doesn't have the same policy when a staff member forgets to turn the chlorination system back on line after maintenance.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

twobits wrote:Seriously? That cannot be public knowledge or there would have been a media storm. A lot of people were impacted by that restriction economically and I sure didn't hear about heads rolling. Sounds like it was a "keep it quiet" incident so there were no lawsuits.
Hope the water authority doesn't have the same policy when a staff member forgets to turn the chlorination system back on line after maintenance.

Oops, it was only stage 3. Happened in April of 2010. The gate was closed after the stage 3 was issued, and the restrictions were lifted a while later. By July the reservoirs were above average. I was an idiot, and didn't save the articles. I now cut and paste into the forums because the Morningstar articles disappear after awhile.
Last edited by Glacier on Jul 22nd, 2015, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Symbonite wrote:I see that you can not water the lawn in Vancouver. Yet we are hotter here in the Okanagan and we don't have those restrictions. Time to go full ban for any outside watering....including golf courses.

What about those of us who get their water from Okanagan Lake?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

OK Glace....nudge nudge wink wink.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Glacier wrote:We get more precipitation in the summer though, and that's what matters. Also, there are over 2 million people using the reservoir down there while we only have 1/10th that amount using the reservoirs around Kelowna.

"Clearly the Okanagan average is high and needs to be addressed, especially when we have less water available to us than almost anywhere in Canada. "

http://www.okwaterwise.ca/learn-go.html

http://kelowna.weatherstats.ca/metrics/ ... ation.html
http://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/metric ... ation.html

between here and Vancouver not much of a difference of rainfall....
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Symbonite wrote:http://kelowna.weatherstats.ca/metrics/ ... ation.html
http://vancouver.weatherstats.ca/metric ... ation.html

between here and Vancouver not much of a difference of rainfall....

Fail to read the scale.

Looking at the period of May/June/July, Kelowna has had significantly more rainfall that we have had down here.

Kelowna:
May: 41.7mm
June: 30.7mm
July: 630.9mm

Vancouver:
May: 5.1mm
June: 11mm
July: 12.6mm

You had more rainfall in June than we've had all three months combined, down here. Couple that with the fact that our water gravitates towards the pacific ocean and doesn't become part of the watershed. Your rainfall, at least, finds it's way almost entirely into your watershed or aquifers.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Anyone who tells you with a straight face that Kelowna has had 630.9 of rain this month is spending wayyy to much time smoking crack with Rob Ford, and more than likely no longer lives in Kelowna.

Kelowna has actually only had 15.3 mm so far.
- Douglas Murray
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

Glacier wrote:Anyone who tells you with a straight face that Kelowna has had 630.9 of rain this month is spending wayyy to much time smoking crack with Rob Ford, and more than likely no longer lives in Kelowna.

Kelowna has actually only had 15.3 mm so far.

Just taking it from the readings from weatherstats (Environment Canada). It looks like you had rain this weekend. It could also be that "Kelowna" is being lumped in with the entire Okanagan, in roughly the same way y'all have a tendancy to call everything west of Hope "Vancouver".
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

EC smokes a lot of crack these days. It's not your fault. They have stated with a straight face that the Kelowna airport has had 600 mm over the past 2 days. If that were true it would be close to a Canada record, and would be more rain than Kelowna has ever had in an entire year.
- Douglas Murray
chrisv
Fledgling

Post by chrisv »

I love the data OK Waterwise gives us about 675 liters per person per day and 1000 l per day in the summer. Actual numbers for Vernon average for the year per person is 238 l, and Kelowna is 350l per day. This is straight from the Greater Vernon Water annual report and the City of Kelowna website. I havent checked Penticton, but unless they use about 2000l liters per day p/p to bring our average WAY up the information the Okanagan Waterwise and OBWB are giving us is bogus. Taxpayer funded bogus I might add. Propaganda created to make a need for themselves.

Return to “B.C.”