British Columbia is Huge

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: British Columbia is Huge

Post by Glacier »

Fire is quite common up north. We drove for 2000 straight km in the smoke. Then the rain hit. The north is wettest in July, August and September. June is probably the best month to be up there.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

June is the best month to be everywhere. The worst of it is, if you want a decent garden here, you can't be away. Lessons are hard learned.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Awesome pictures Glacier. We need some winter shots.

Here’s driving highways #37 south from Dease Lake on the way to Stewart.

Poor bear got trapped on the highway.

Here’s some winter shots at the Ripley Creek Inn in Stewart (they sometimes get a bit of snow there)

Stewart museum is located in the Service BC Building which also holds the Courtroom.

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Queen K wrote:Ha ha, I'm not grumpy so much as trying to decide how to spend two weeks off in October. Glacier just added to the mix, I've always wanted to go North too. Not enough time, not enough money to see it all.

p.s. Queenie, I’m very fortunate in that it has been my work that has taken me to some very remote places in this province I would likely not otherwise have seen. The drive to Telegraph Creek from Dease Lake, for example, is quite spectacular (might have to click on them to get full picture) …

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: Fire is quite common up north.

The summer after the Cassiar fire …

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote: Oh, and guess what, you'd live the far north (north of Dease Lake and north of Fort Nelson) because it's so international. I counted licence plates between the Yukon border and Jade City, and only 10% were BC plates. Canadians are also a minority at Liard with most being American, but there are a surprisingly large number of Germans and other Europeans as well. Some even ship their vehicles over from Germany! I saw three vehicles with European plates on them up there during my last trip.

Ran into some Germans travelling on motorcycles who had stopped to rest just north of Dease Lake

They had started in Alaska and were heading to Vancouver. “Are we getting close yet?” they asked me.

I smiled.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Nice photos SL.

You could have warned them you know, ha ha.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

What? Jo? I think Castanet is glitching because all of Steven Lloyd's posts have just gone *poof*!

I was going to say that you meet some very interesting folks up north. One retired couple from Boston was riding a tandem bicycle up there. They had been riding for 8 months, starting in Boston, headed to Quebec, down to Florida, over the California, up to Alaska, and eventually back to Boston.

Another group of 70 year old ladies from the States were going to canoe the mighty fast flowing Yukon river from Dawson down the Eagle Alaska. Crazy if you ask me!

Here's how big the Yukon river is at Dawson. Notice the car ferry.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

steven lloyd wrote:...We need some winter shots.

Hmmmust we?

park-in-the-snow.jpg
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here's a fire shot for sobro and Steven. I took this one along a spot I call Buffalo alley (Muncho Lake to Watson lake corridor). I've seen bison all 4 times I've driven this section.

- Douglas Murray
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Toad River (where they have self serve ice cream). Note: if you're not camping, I think the Toad River Lodge is the best place to stay between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake

Yeah, and a self-serve hotel room that you can pay for after some awesome bacon and eggs in the morning.

033.JPG

Next stop...

125.JPG

(... if you get to Dawson, the fire guys name is Guy, - and if you put out a fire on your way into town, it won't be possible to buy your own beer that night.)

Dempster Hwy fond memories of pyro-nimbus and grey hail.

019.JPG
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Aug 8th, 2015, 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Queen K wrote:Ha ha, I'm not grumpy so much as trying to decide how to spend two weeks off in October. Glacier just added to the mix, I've always wanted to go North too. Not enough time, not enough money to see it all.

steven lloyd wrote:p.s. Queenie, I’m very fortunate in that it has been my work that has taken me to some very remote places in this province I would likely not otherwise have seen. The drive to Telegraph Creek from Dease Lake, for example, is quite spectacular

I've also been very lucky that my job has taken me to many of the places listed here. Though not in BC, Inuvik was one of the coolest experiences as I got to enjoy it during the summer solstice. I don't know how people cope with week after week of sunlight!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Neither do I.
But there are too many choices, never enough time.

Return to “B.C.”