Victoria police officer goes "above and beyond" to help

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Victoria police officer goes "above and beyond" to help

Post by Merry »

What a wonderful story!
A police officer in Victoria, B.C. is brushing off praise for going way above the call of duty to help a disoriented American tourist get home safely.

The passenger, 65, was reported missing from a cruise ship on Thursday evening, said police in a news release. She had disembarked for a stopover in the city, but did not return. After several searches of the vessel confirmed she was not on board, the ship had to continue on its journey.

Officers soon learned from the woman's family that she recently began showing symptoms of dementia. She was booked for a return flight home to Buffalo, N.Y. from Seattle the next day.

A short time after the police search began, staff at the Fairmont Empress Hotel found the disoriented woman. She was taken to the hospital for assessment.

At that point, Const. Andre Almeida decided to make sure the woman got home safely — by paying for a flight from Victoria to Seattle on his personal credit card. He figured he would cover the cost with his own Air Miles.
“She needed help. It could be my Mom stranded somewhere and I would hope that someone would help," said the police dog handler in a statement.

The next day, police took the woman themselves to the airport in time to make her flight.

Alaska Airlines decided to reimburse Almeida for the cost of the flight.

The officer deflected praise for his actions, saying thanks should go to others like the airline, hotel, and Royal Jubilee Hospital for helping get the "scared woman back to her family."

She's now safely back in New York with relatives, said police.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/08/07 ... 58640.html
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Victoria police officer goes "above and beyond" to help

Post by Smurf »

Good on him and everyone else involved. Nice to hear a positive story.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

1 reply to a good police story, 34 pages on a cop pulling someone over in Kelowna.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Tells the story doesn't it.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

goatboy wrote:1 reply to a good police story, 34 pages on a cop pulling someone over in Kelowna.

Because more people get off on complaining than giving Kudos.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

True but a real shame.

mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Being as how this isn't the cop bashing thread, lets try to keep this one to "way to go".

This is the kind of story that needs to grow legs and reach as many people as possible to show that it aint all bad.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Way to go!
You and 71 others Like this post
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Stories like this usually do not get spread, as most police don't want the attention. I wonder, Victoria City Police or RCMP.

Good job either way!! You would think the airline would pay forward to Cst.Andre Almeida for his good deed!
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Funny how the usual participants in the other police threads are no where to be seen. Oh well, truth be told, bet theses stories actually far out number the bad ones, they just never get told.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Saw an interview with Const. Almeida last night. He does not believe he did anything special. He said he and most officers join police forces with a wish to help, people. That is all he believes he was doing was helping this woman as part of his beliefs. Good on him and the majority of other officers out there who help people on a daily basis.

mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Hey Goatboy; I'm right here.

This is the kind of story that I genuinely enjoy hearing and I know that the vast majority of police officers are in the profession for all the right reasons but sadly, It's the Monty Robinsons of the world who get all the press..
Last edited by mexi cali on Aug 12th, 2015, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

goatboy wrote:1 reply to a good police story, 34 pages on a cop pulling someone over in Kelowna.

tells you how much scum cop haters live in this town
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

goatboy wrote:Funny how the usual participants in the other police threads are no where to be seen. Oh well, truth be told, bet theses stories actually far out number the bad ones, they just never get told.

Sorry G ... I've had other things to do lately and this is just the third comment since I got back...

When I meet up with family in Vic , I'll be sure to tell the Inspector cousin of mine how refreshing it is to here a good story coming from his department !

Anything you'd like me to say to the Inspector "Truth" ????

We've been packing , we leave on Saturday am.
Last edited by MAPearce on Aug 11th, 2015, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

You would think the airline would pay forward to Cst.Andre Almeida for his good deed!

Actually Ken7.... Alaska Airlines DID reimburse Cst. Almeida for the ticket..

But you didn't here that from me .. You READ it .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “B.C.”