Poll: Pipeline safety?

maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Poll: Pipeline safety?

Post by maple leaf »

Since I can't post a comment under be the first to comment ,on this story I'll do it here.
It depends on if you are asking about upgraded crude oil or raw bitumen ,thinned with a slurry of chemicals.Since the beginning of the story below is talking about Raw bitumen thinned with a slurry of chemicals ,I assume you are talking about that and not just oil,in the poll question.So I answered NO.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Poll: Pipeline safety?

Post by alfred2 »

yes
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

maple leaf wrote: It depends on if you are asking about upgraded crude oil or raw bitumen ,thinned with a slurry of chemicals. Since the beginning of the story below is talking about Raw bitumen thinned with a slurry of chemicals ,I assume you are talking about that and not just oil, in the poll question. So I answered NO.

Yes, these poll questions always seem to be incomplete (sometimes even misleading) in some manner. I would say that with adequate investment, oversight and spill response transporting oil by pipeline is the safest way. I believe that if this is worth doing it must still be worth doing right and not just in some manner where companies can look to simply maximizing profit (and sue Canadian taxpayers if we try to interfere by imposing environmental regulations). We shouldn’t even be considering transporting bitumen thinned with chemicals to be loaded on to tankers at our coasts, but refining it here and then transporting it. What a sell-out by our treasonous politicians who are certainly not representing the best interests of Canadians.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

We shouldn’t even be considering transporting bitumen thinned with chemicals to be loaded on to tankers at our coasts, but refining it here and then transporting it. What a sell-out by our treasonous politicians who are certainly not representing the best interests of Canadians.

I agree Steven.... It's just like raw log exports .

Without the goo.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

steven lloyd wrote:Yes, these poll questions always seem to be incomplete (sometimes even misleading) in some manner. I would say that with adequate investment, oversight and spill response transporting oil by pipeline is the safest way. I believe that if this is worth doing it must still be worth doing right and not just in some manner where companies can look to simply maximizing profit (and sue Canadian taxpayers if we try to interfere by imposing environmental regulations). We shouldn’t even be considering transporting bitumen thinned with chemicals to be loaded on to tankers at our coasts, but refining it here and then transporting it. What a sell-out by our treasonous politicians who are certainly not representing the best interests of Canadians.

Listening to the guy from gas buddy this morning on CTV news .He was asked why oil is so low ,his answer is an over supply .He was also asked if gas will be coming down as a result.He pointed out that Canada has chosen to not keep up with refining our own oil ,but most of our refineries have been closed and we rely on our gas to come from the US. refineries and the price for gas is in US dollars ,with our dollars worth less and less ,he was saying in eastern Canada there is going to be gas price increase in the next day or so.The choice for Canada's oil fields to focus on selling off our resources unrefined for fast big profits ,instead of refining it in Canada ,with Canadian jobs is why we are paying higher prices for our gas now.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

But who is going to come up with the millions probably billions to build refineries in Canada. There is no doubt we need our own refineries but I cannot see it happening in the near future if ever. Most of the companies involved in the oil fields have no ties to Canada and just want the raw product with as little cost as possible.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

Smurf wrote:But who is going to come up with the millions probably billions to build refineries in Canada. There is no doubt we need our own refineries but I cannot see it happening in the near future if ever. Most of the companies involved in the oil fields have no ties to Canada and just want the raw product with as little cost as possible.

Glad you asked that question.There was a story on the news the other night ,I forget the Town,but it has one of Canadas few refineries and the story was about them spending 200 million on expansions.A great boost for that city and local jobs.
Also Redwater Alberta has started construction on a brand new upgrader refinery.But as long as we let them ship the raw resources and build pipelines ,there is no incentive for the oil giants to invest even more in Canada for Canadian jobs.If there is no other way to get the product out of Alberta ,they will change how they do things.

Snip;A four-hour drive south of Fort McMurray, North West Upgrading Inc.’s refinery is under construction near Edmonton. The $8.5-billion project is slated to begin operating in the fall of 2017. The Alberta government backstopped the venture in 2011, clearing the way for North West to break ground in the fall of 2013, just months after Suncor ditched Voyageur.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alb ... e25965077/
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

from maple leaf's link:

“There’s a huge transfer of value – taxes, jobs and economic activity – <snip>. If you don’t care about that, maybe that’s okay. But if you want some schools, hospitals and jobs, you want bitumen processed in Canada,”

Smurf wrote:But who is going to come up with the millions probably billions to build refineries in Canada.

Seems there are private interests that are and have been ready to step up:

A B.C. media mogul says he is very close to inking a deal to build a massive new crude oil refinery in Kitimat.
Speaking to business leaders at the B.C. Chamber of Commerce in Vancouver, newspaper publisher David Black said he plans to sign a memorandum of understanding within a month with a major investment firm for the $25 billion project.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.1400227

Kitimat Clean Ltd. is a private British Columbia company set up to plan, construct and operate an oil refinery in Kitimat, BC. The refinery will feature state-of-the-art design, specifically for processing Alberta oil sands heavy crude oil, and engineered to be the cleanest upgrading and refining site in the world.

http://kitimatclean.ca/

Imagine the economic spin-off benefits to British Columbians and Canadians if our governments were supporting initiatives such as this, instead of ratifying deals that allow foreign multinationals to sue us if we try to introduce any environmental or industrial safety regulations that might interfere with their ability to maximize profit from the extraction of our raw resources?

The startling development is a proposal for a $13-billion oil refinery at Kitimat, B.C., that would provide 6,000 construction jobs for five years and 3,000 direct jobs thereafter, as well as thousands of service spinoffs. Hundreds of millions of dollars in new tax revenues would be generated annually. In effect, our resources would have value added here instead of in China. No government could ignore that kind of opportunity.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... le4487586/

No government except the Harper government. We need a government that wants to represent the interests of Canadians, instead of continuing to sell us out to the interests of foreign multinationals. We desperately need to get rid of Harper.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol all the reasons given for no more refineries in canada is snake oil politics . refining oil makes money . the americans want to keep monopoly . hence all the articles stating the reas9ns its bad for canada lol
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

this is no laughing matter.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

it is when you hear the rhetoric alfred . if canada built one or two large refineries , we might be in position to gouge the yanks now and then .
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

As humble Canadians, we've always accepted our big brother American's advice that "refineries are bad, you don't want them."
So we send our oil down to them. Plus give their corporations tax breaks and even subsidies for taking our oil off our hands.
Now we even have a big Chinese corporation here, and they bring in their own workers. We don't need those oil jobs.

What we need now is to have unlimited fracking, under the ground that has pipelines running across it. Nothing bad could possibly happen.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

You have to remember......a Conservative government in Canada has ALWAYS had its head up the *bleep* of Americans. Whatever the U.S. wants and the likes of Diefenbaker, Mulroney, and now Harper will gladly bow down to. They have always been P.O.S. that will sell this country out........every time.

You have to remember that Canada has EVERYTHING the rest of the world WANTS and NEEDS. The problem is we keep giving it away to the *bleep*'s at wholesale prices or let them come in and control much of our resources.

Look at Venezuala (not that they have a healthy economy or living conditions) but gasoline there several months ago was 16 cents a GALLON and has been for ages. That country hates the U.S. and will not deal with them. I wonder why?

Will the Conservatives ever grow any balls? Just look at Harper's face.......there's your answer.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

lakevixen wrote:lol all the reasons given for no more refineries in canada is snake oil politics . refining oil makes money . the americans want to keep monopoly . hence all the articles stating the reas9ns its bad for canada lol

And as soon as someone steps up to the plate and says they are going to build a refinery....anywhere in Canada.....you, the FN's, and every other tree hugger out there will be fighting against it. It's called forked tongue. Give us a break. You agenda is clear.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

lesliepaul wrote:
Look at Venezuala (not that they have a healthy economy or living conditions) but gasoline there several months ago was 16 cents a GALLON and has been for ages. That country hates the U.S. and will not deal with them. I wonder why?

This post is an absolute classic example of the clueless. Sure, let's look at Venezuela. And by your own admission, not the best economy or living conditions. Have you ever wondered why that is?
If your desire is gasoline for 16 cents a litre but as a tradeoff you want to stand in a line up for hours to buy toilet paper and a loaf of bread....when they might be available....why don't you just move there? I'll even come over and help you pack.
If you could ask any of the 30 million Venezuelans standing in line for toilet paper if they would trade places with you, in this chitty, disgusting, conservative led, free trade country.......they would say yes and I will pay you what you want to make it true.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”