Auto insurance on way up

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Auto insurance on way up

Post by Smurf »

Do you really think it's fair that drivers are paying massive collections or should the collection be spread over everyone that uses the health services, education etc.?

EDIT TO ADD:

Remember that all those trucking companies, business's etc are adding those costs into the cost of the goods and services they sell us.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

cost of goods goes up, then we pay even more tax on it.....whole thing is a brilliant scam
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

lesliepaul wrote:Liberal lying Ba%#*rds........all of them. Using "claims" as an excuse is a absolute crock of *bleep*. In the last 5 or 6 years the Liberals have siphoned over a BILLION $$$$$ out of ICBC. Public insurance was first set up in 1971 by the NDP in Manitoba and it was a godsend for young people. The idea was to have affordable vehicle insurance for all, unlike private insurance that penalized the *bleep* out of you for everything........and continues to do so today.

The problem with Public Insurance is that governments are taking out the bulk of the profits and the worst case of this is in THIS PROVINCE WITH THE EXISTING LIBERALS. To the people that cry for private insurance.......be careful what you wish for. If you only drive to the store and back once a week and the car is parked the rest of the time.......you are a great driver in their books and will obviously get an amazing rate. Make a mistake and you can open the "floodgates" on premium increases. Absolute HORROR stories in the U.S.

Our main problem here with ICBC is the scumball, lying, POS Liberals.

Okay, now tell us how you really feel.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Glacier wrote:Okay, now tell us how you really feel.

Hang on........just let me finish on some other threads about "$20.00 to travel on native land", "city council spending $20,000 on feel good crosswalks" and..........the list goes on and on and on........
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Sep 3rd, 2015, 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

UltraViolet wrote:What fairlytale land are you living in?
Some of us love to explore the backroads, visit relatives in other cities, and not have to carry groceries in a snow storm, or wait at bus stops. For most "average" people, owning a vehicle is a way of life.

Also, just imagine how expensive other things would be, if ICBC wasn't taking up massive collections for the "General Revenue" kitty.

There are car rentals, cabs, and ride shares that will still accommodate all your daily needs. There is also the idea of reorganize ones life to do ones grocery shopping daily on your walk home from work so you dont have to carry a trunk load of groceries. The problem is that the average person is lazy, nothing else. Money would be saved via less medical treatment for problems that evolve out of accidents down the road that were not realized at the time of the accident (cost absorbed by the tax payer rather than the insurer). Huge savings would also be made from health issues as a result of being overweight because of walking. Road maintenance would also decline with less cars on the road. The savings would outweigh the loss of revenue.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

“If you are elderly, young, especially a male under 21, you would pay SUBSTANTIALLY more under private insurance as these groups are high risk,” wrote Bob Dunbar, who said he has 18 years experience in the insurance industry. “ICBC has "fair" rating that can't discriminate for those things.”

This was quoted from a story about everyone being fed up with ICBC. So, let me get this straight...if their guy says they can't discriminate by age, how is it that they have differing, (and much higher), rates for young drivers? Is that not discrimination?
Now, I know, the hoydy toydies will be out in full force on this, but I bring this to your attention because they simply said there is no discrimination.....it's not allowed.

I understand why they would pay more if they were a higher risk, but then I think that an elderly person would in fact get a discount on insurance, not a higher rate, unless there are multiple claims on their policies.

Sumthingt stinks in Dullsville.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Manitoba MPIC has to have (at least a few years ago) a $200,000,000 in the coffers. Anything over that comes back to the drivers in a rebate.........FACT. Not in B.C. Here profit is "skimmed" off by the Liberals. When the NDP set it up here it was not raided like it has been now.

I would never want solely private insurance here........EVER. To the people that keep crying for that, you will learn your lesson. Change what is happening here with ICBC.......make it a BIG issue in the next election.....the only thing a lying politician understands is losing his seat at the public trough.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Where I came from, we had private insurance and the vast majority wanted it to be public/government run. I come here, and it's opposite.

I paid the same rates in both situations. So whatever.
Your bias suits you.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

"We have to be careful what we ask for' a statement that I find is usually true. Remember "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" something that is seldom proven true. If we go private there will be winners, there will be loosers. We have had a number of these threads in the past and I have compared my rates to other provinces and as Woodenhead says have never found any advantages. Admittedly I do tend to drive older vehicles as I cannot justify getting rid of a perfectly good vehicle.

The only thing we would gain is getting rid of the cash cow for the government which we all know we would have to make up the difference somehow in the long run or have a huge loss of services. My only beef is that the way it is now drivers pay more than their fair share of the public purse. We already pay lots of taxes on the gas we purchase, in fact if memory serves me right we pay taxes on taxes.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

The amount of money I've saved on insurance in the first 10 years of my life because of of ICBC is significant.

I hope people aren't getting their optional stuff (collision/replacement) through ICBC. You don't have to and it's much cheaper to go through a private company.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

jamapple wrote:“If you are elderly, young, especially a male under 21, you would pay SUBSTANTIALLY more under private insurance as these groups are high risk,” wrote Bob Dunbar, who said he has 18 years experience in the insurance industry. “ICBC has "fair" rating that can't discriminate for those things.”

This was quoted from a story about everyone being fed up with ICBC. So, let me get this straight...if their guy says they can't discriminate by age, how is it that they have differing, (and much higher), rates for young drivers? Is that not discrimination?
Now, I know, the hoydy toydies will be out in full force on this, but I bring this to your attention because they simply said there is no discrimination.....it's not allowed.

I understand why they would pay more if they were a higher risk, but then I think that an elderly person would in fact get a discount on insurance, not a higher rate, unless there are multiple claims on their policies.

Sumthingt stinks in Dullsville.

Correct they no longer can discriminate by age, but they sure can surcharge a lack of "drivers experience" which generally hits younger drivers harder. A 41 year old woman whom had never driven before they would be rated the same as a 16 year old boy. Both having ZERO drivers experience.

Return to “B.C.”