Buddha of the Board

Re: Where Does Northern BC Begin?

Post by maryjane48 »

the line is where they pay a living allownece
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

The big hill just north of Clinton on Highway 97. The level of redneckism increases there just as steeply as that hill. There is very little difference in lifestyles, politics, and general attitudes between Hundred Mile House and most points north of there. Too much drinking, too much smoking (of all kinds), and general disfunction.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

bob vernon wrote:The big hill just north of Clinton on Highway 97. The level of redneckism increases there just as steeply as that hill. There is very little difference in lifestyles, politics, and general attitudes between Hundred Mile House and most points north of there. Too much drinking, too much smoking (of all kinds), and general disfunction.

That sounds highly racist. Just because the first nations population greatly increases north of there, doesn't mean the dysfunction starts there.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Wherever CRA says?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

just popping in wrote:Wherever CRA says?

CRA has two zones. There's the transition zone (Fort St. John, etc.), and then there's the full fledged north (Fort Nelson, etc.) Prince George is not considered northern by CRA.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

"I saw this article, and that got me wondering how far south you can go, and still be in "Northern BC."

Personally, I would not consider Canim Lake or 100 Mile House "northern BC," but what do you think?"

Ok Glacier, I have to ask... why would you reference something as obscure and random as Canim Lake? Do you know that place? Is it significant geographically?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Glacier wrote:CRA has two zones. There's the transition zone (Fort St. John, etc.), and then there's the full fledged north (Fort Nelson, etc.) Prince George is not considered northern by CRA.

Wow, I guessed right!
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

In my opinion I would considered The pine pass the beginning of Northern BC
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I'd say Northern BC should start somewhere near or around Prince George.

But hey anything north of my place is north. hahahaha

For years Vanderhoof was or is considered geographical centre of BC. Then some person from Quesnel came up with a point near Granisle BC as being geographical centre.

After some thought, I will make small change to my line between north & south BC.
Draw line from Mt. Robson across BC to Haida Gwaii.

Added later: From that line, draw another line east to west threw Kamloops (parallel) between those 2 lines is central BC, below that is southern BC.
Last edited by GordonH on Oct 10th, 2015, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

bob vernon wrote:
The big hill just north of Clinton on Highway 97. The level of redneckism increases there just as steeply as that hill. There is very little difference in lifestyles, politics, and general attitudes between Hundred Mile House and most points north of there. Too much drinking, too much smoking (of all kinds), and general disfunction.

Glacier wrote "That sounds highly racist. Just because the first nations population greatly increases north of there, doesn't mean the dysfunction starts there."

I was referring to the white population up there.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

tsayta wrote:Ok Glacier, I have to ask... why would you reference something as obscure and random as Canim Lake? Do you know that place? Is it significant geographically?

I used to live near there once upon a time, but the reason I mentioned Canim Lake is because it was mentioned in the article posted in the OP:

"Gracey Dove, who is originally from the Canim Lake Indian Band in northern B.C., announced the news by posting an intimate promotional poster for the movie on Instagram."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Right! I saw that article. I go there often too. This year I saw the subglacial volcano's at the Spanish Lake complex
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW

Return to “B.C.”