Offroad Vehicle Registration

bcpaul
Fledgling

Re: Offroad Vehicle Registration

Post by bcpaul »

pentona wrote:
Note: I am not in favor of registering and plating bicycles however; not even for on-road use.

Oh its coming. How do you think the govt. will recoup gas tax revenue when vehicle use declines in cities.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Come on out to Vernon I will personally drive you to the main dirt bike area and then to kal park biking trails. Huge difference.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

I wonder how many of the bicycles on the road are covered by insurance of any significance ??
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

When I was a kid, we had to purchase an annual bicycle license from the city.

Whatever happened to that? Are all these spandex-clad fart sniffers so wonderful that they don't have to pay tax, licensing, or any other reimbursement to general revenues for the money it costs to police and administer them?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Rwede wrote:When I was a kid, we had to purchase an annual bicycle license from the city.

Whatever happened to that? Are all these spandex-clad fart sniffers so wonderful that they don't have to pay tax, licensing, or any other reimbursement to general revenues for the money it costs to police and administer them?

Most likely they already do pay plenty of tax. You think because someone rides a bike that they don't pay tax?
bcpaul
Fledgling

Post by bcpaul »

skydawg wrote:Most likely they already do pay plenty of tax. You think because someone rides a bike that they don't pay tax?

Same goes for dirt bike riders. Bicyclists should be required to have liability insurance at a minimum. Bicycle theft is big problem. Bicycle registration would drastically reduce bike theft.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Donald G wrote:I wonder how many of the bicycles on the road are covered by insurance of any significance ??

Most of them,

Your homeowners or tenants policy normally includes $2mm in personal liability for things exactly such as a bike accident where you are negligent.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Except for most of the crack dealers, meth head and homeless that do a majority of stupid things on their bikes!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

skydawg wrote:Most likely they already do pay plenty of tax. You think because someone rides a bike that they don't pay tax?

They pay nothing extra for the privilege of riding a bike.

No PST to buy the bike, but you pay between 7 and 10% PSt plus 5% GST on your car purchase.

No insurance, yet you pay what, $1500ish a year on your car.

No fuel tax to maintain the roads, yet we pay millions for bike lanes and green stripes for cyclists.

No license fees, yet we pay to license our cars.

Bike riders should have to contribute something extra related to their mode of transport, the same as car owners do. To say they pay taxes on other, unrelated activities is disingenuous at best. User pay.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Hassel99 wrote:Most of them,

Your homeowners or tenants policy normally includes $2mm in personal liability for things exactly such as a bike accident where you are negligent.

Better check this out if you believe you're covered:

http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Bike ... story.html

Sometimes tenant or house insurance can provide extra coverage for cyclists. But not always. ICBC only gets involved if a cyclist has a collision with a motor vehicle. A collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian or a cyclist and another cyclist wouldn’t involve ICBC.

“You need to ask your home carrier if you have the appropriate rider to cover acts of negligence you commit outside of the home,” he said. “It is definitely a good thing to check.“

The Cycling BC insurance package provides coverage, for example, if a cyclist collides with a pedestrian or another cyclist. Collisions between cyclists and motor vehicles covered by ICBC are covered under the vehicle’s policy but the Cycling BC package may provide additional coverage in cases where ICBC doesn’t. To get personal accident insurance from Cycling BC cyclists have to join the organization.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

No GST on bike? What about the income tax they pay, the pst/gst on everything they buy. Most likely the people riding bikes also own vehicles. Pretty sure they are still contributing to the system.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

skydawg wrote:No GST on bike? What about the income tax they pay, the pst/gst on everything they buy. Most likely the people riding bikes also own vehicles. Pretty sure they are still contributing to the system.

We pay extra for having vehicles. We don't pay extra for having bikes. A person earning $40,000 pays the same income tax whether they own a bike or not, so your assumption is flawed. A non-bike owner subsidizes the cost of bike infrastructure.

Bike riders should start paying for the extras that they cost society. As it stands, they are a welfare case, with income taxes subsidizing their chosen lifestyle. It's time that the costs of bikes be borne by those who use them.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

Bike riders are welfares cases now? You are pathetic.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

I might start walking to work. Shall I start paying walking tax now too?

You must be one of those drivers that pouts when a bicycle pulls ahead of you and gets to where they need sooner than you.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

skydawg wrote:Bike riders are welfares cases now? You are pathetic.

Look up the definition, dude.

They are net consumers of government revenues, and need to be subsidized.

Vehicles are net contributors to government revenue.

It's time bikes started paying their way for their use of infrastructure. Why shouldn't they?

Return to “B.C.”