Williams Lake the Worst Place to Live in Canada? What?

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Williams Lake the Worst Place to Live in Canada? What?

Post by Glacier »

According to Castanet, Williams Lake the worst place in Canada to live. This article seems to be factually wrong because according to the Money Sense study that it links to, Williams Lake is not at the bottom of the list. New Glasgow, NS is. Castanet needs to get their facts straight before posting disparaging articles.

I've lived in Williams Lake and I've lived in Alberta, and I must say, I'd take Williams Lake any day. The climate is like the Okanagan except about 3 degrees cooler. The reason Money Sense magazine ranks Williams Lake and a host of other BC cities down near the bottom is because wages are much lower. Housing is cheap, and the climate is great, so if you are retired, it's a great place to live.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Williams Lake the Worst Place to Live in Canada? What?

Post by Liquidnails »

It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of places to live (I've done my time there), but It certainly wouldn't be my last either. The problem with these sorts of lists is that they tend to be all about jobs and money. I bet you a place like Campbell River would show up on a "worst places to live" list, but it's anything but. (so long as you like the outdoors)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Liquidnails wrote:It certainly wouldn't be my first choice of places to live (I've done my time there), but It certainly wouldn't be my last either. The problem with these sorts of lists is that they tend to be all about jobs and money. I bet you a place like Campbell River would show up on a "worst places to live" list, but it's anything but. (so long as you like the outdoors)

I notice that the link no longer works. It seems that Castanet has deleted the article. They were basically saying that all the worst places in Canada were in BC (Campbell River, Port Alberni, etc. were also on the bottom of the list). But once you actually clicked on the hokey "study" the list did not have Williams Lake at the bottom of the BC list let alone the Canadian list. The worst places are apparently in Nova Scotia, which is ironic since they have some of the nicest weather in Canada. Ontario cities always make the top of the list.

The worst cities in BC are:
1) Port Alberni
2) Prince Rupert
3) Quesnel
4) Williams Lake
5) Penticton
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

Obviously never been to Sudbury .
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I agree, Castanet's article doesn't seem to match up with the list on Money Sense.

At the end of the day, your opinion is going to be based on what's important to you. If you're retired, then employment, income, and healthy growth rate probably aren't all that important. As a person with 35 years left to work those things are very high on my list.

If you're not into Arts and Sports, that entire column may be irrelevant.

Williams Lake also tops Stats Canada's list for crime severity. Sounds like a wonderful place to live!

I've worked in Williams Lake as part of my territory for 6 years...you couldn't pay me to move there.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There are lots of places I'd love to live in BC for a year. William's Lake is one of them. Not for the town, but for the miles of BC backroads I'd always be on to photograph BC. But that's just me.

Golden is another one. One year. Campbell River! You bet.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I would take Williams lake over prince George
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

LTD wrote:I would take Williams lake over prince George

I would take Prince George.

1. PG
2. Williams Lake
56939495939290405895683483205404. Quesnel - craphole of BC
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Prince George is colder, cloudier, and wetter. Williams Lake gets more sunshine than Kelowna.
- Douglas Murray
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Glacier wrote:Prince George is colder, cloudier, and wetter. Williams Lake gets more sunshine than Kelowna.

Outdoor activities are comparable but I find more to do in PG and more diversified economy. UNBC, CNC, Health Authority, Pulp and Paper. Relative to Williams Lake, lots of diversity. I'll concede the weather in Williams Lake is better - Northern Lights are better in PG though
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

deedub wrote:Obviously never been to Sudbury .

I'll see that and raise you Garson. (I worked/lived just outside of town for 1 winter, working outdoors. Never again!)
Your bias suits you.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I lasted about 3 months. Not a great place to live, for me.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
waynetyea
Fledgling

Post by waynetyea »

this guys never been to moose jaw thats for sure
wkduff

Post by wkduff »

Worst place to live in B.C. its really in kelowna. Yes its beautiful.
No jobs avaiable that lets you live a average life there.
Everyone pays min wage. And rents are over priced by greedy renters.
The whole okanogan is that way. But kelowna is the hub.
Its a city where green prospers and homless grow to rediculous meausures.
Kelowna will be a city that will crash hard soon

Return to “B.C.”