Site C

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Site C

Post by The Green Barbarian »

butcher99 wrote: You can rail against the costs they pay for green energy all you like as well but new technology is less than Site C will cost. .

No, it's not.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

General electric talks about solar . They been in the electron sector lot longer than any dam lover on here and bchydro :smt045

http://invent.ge/2jjtUiu

2017 is going to be a big year for solar. Ganesh Bell, chief digital officer for GE Power, recently predicted that more utility-scale wind and solar will reach grid parity, and, in many regions, these generation sources will offer lower-priced alternatives to traditional options. In the spirit of cheap renewables coming online, we checked in again with one of western Canada’s largest pioneering solar projects.

“This is one of the solar hotspots in Canada,” says Sommervile. The site has one of the highest solar energy intensities in Canada, with 2,200 hours of annual sunshine—averaging six hours per day—guaranteeing reliable energy production.

All those sunny days are a clear asset, but the SunMine possesses another natural advantage: cold weather. ”Electronics like cold and don’t like heat,” explains Gordon Howell, a professional engineer and managing principal of Howell Mayhew Engineering in Edmonton.
Seems the cold is good unlike the oh it wont work in winter we hear

When a working solar cell reaches 70 degrees Celsius, the 250-watt PV module will operate at 205 watts, an 18 per cent drop. At a cell temperature of 0 degrees, the 250-watt PV module will operate at 273 watts, nine per cent better.

There’s still plenty of room to grow. The SunMine has enough land to install up to 200MW worth of modules – enough to power 40,000 homes. Somerville hopes that outside investment in the project will help build up capacity locally to supply and install solar facilities.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

butcher99 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:There is a lot of work to maintain a solar power system.

had a friend lived off grid with solar and propane backup for years. She loved it. She had a large solar panel and battery backup. She said there was no problem Even on cloudy days it produced power. Her propane generator was seldom used. She even had electric heaters to back up her wood stove.

Yes and this is the only way it works, not for huge industrial purposes. I've got many posts saying this individualist way of using solar is THE WAY to go. It's not wrong at all. In fact, if I could do it, I would.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Solar sites are not hard to maintain .im sure general electric would know more than a frustrated castanet poster :smt045
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

butcher99 wrote:I noticed a lot of replies from green barbarian. Sorry guy I got tired of your yes it is not it isn';t replies and just blocked you.

Of course you got tired of it, because you were tired of all of your lies being called out. And I will continue to do so. I honestly don't care who you have blocked. Stop lying and I will stop responding.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 27th, 2017, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

maryjane48 wrote:General electric talks about solar . They been in the electron sector lot longer than any dam lover on here and bchydro :smt045

2017 is going to be a big year for solar. Ganesh Bell, chief digital officer for GE Power, recently predicted that more utility-scale wind and solar will reach grid parity, and, in many regions, these generation sources will offer lower-priced alternatives to traditional options. In the spirit of cheap renewables coming online, we checked in again with one of western Canada’s largest pioneering solar projects.

“This is one of the solar hotspots in Canada,” says Sommervile. The site has one of the highest solar energy intensities in Canada, with 2,200 hours of annual sunshine—averaging six hours per day—guaranteeing reliable energy production.

All those sunny days are a clear asset, but the SunMine possesses another natural advantage: cold weather. ”Electronics like cold and don’t like heat,” explains Gordon Howell, a professional engineer and managing principal of Howell Mayhew Engineering in Edmonton.
Seems the cold is good unlike the oh it wont work in winter we hear

When a working solar cell reaches 70 degrees Celsius, the 250-watt PV module will operate at 205 watts, an 18 per cent drop. At a cell temperature of 0 degrees, the 250-watt PV module will operate at 273 watts, nine per cent better.

There’s still plenty of room to grow. The SunMine has enough land to install up to 200MW worth of modules – enough to power 40,000 homes. Somerville hopes that outside investment in the project will help build up capacity locally to supply and install solar facilities.

I was good with this MJ, right up until this sentence. What kind of "outside investment"? See, if it's govt subsidies, you've just underscored the arguments made by every conservative here throughout this ENTIRE thread.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

maryjane48 wrote:General electric talks about solar . They been in the electron sector lot longer than any dam lover on here and bchydro :smt045

Deleted for brevity. Here are the points that are mentioned in the above noted article.

averaging six hours per day

The SunMine is built on land that was once Sullivan Mine, shuttered in 2001. Teck, the former mine owner, provided the land as well as $2-million of the $5.3-million cost.

They donated the land, plus $2,000,000 to subsidize this project.

Using just eight hectares of land, more than 4,000 solar PV modules generate roughly 1 megawatt (MW) of electricity, enough to power about 200 homes.

8 hectares = 20 acres. Therefore for every city sized lot, it would require another city sized lot (.1 acre) to produce enough electricity for just one (1) house.
AND that is just on sunny days.

What they are doing in Kimberly is like a solar Co-Op situation. Except.......
says Scott Sommerville, chief administrative officer for the City of Kimberley, which now owns the site.

Why wouldn't Mr. Sommerville speak so highly of this project? After all he is now the owner.

with 2,200 hours of annual sunshine

Failing to mention that there are
1 common year = 365 days = (365 days) × (24 hours/day)
= 8760 hours.

Power generation is 25% (6 hours) per day, without deducting for snow on the panel coverage hours and also considering that Kimberly also boasts of being a great Winter recreational area, from their own tourism website....https://skikimberley.com/

They are blaming clouds for poor generation goals for 2 years.
Although the SunMine has seen cloudier weather in the last two years compared to the historical norm, the project is earning revenue for the city. For now, that money is being set aside for replacement parts down the road
Just one excuse after another.....

To top it all off, they are now selling their ideas to other places in the Okanagan. Kimberly = Solar salesperson extraordinaire.

They are not making money on generation, they are banking on going to make their money on sales commissions. A whole town of snake-oil salespeople.
Bring back the LIKE button.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Queen K wrote:

Yes and this is the only way it works, not for huge industrial purposes. I've got many posts saying this individualist way of using solar is THE WAY to go. It's not wrong at all. In fact, if I could do it, I would.

If it works small time it works big time. Economies of scale make it cheaper for large scale operations. That is why there are new long term contracts being signed that are cheaper yhan anything out there.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

maryjane48 wrote:Queen theres zero logic in repeating bchydro lies . The cost will top 30 billion and guess whose going to pay ? Your next 10 generations . If you think hydro is getting out of control now which it is ,you havnt seen. Nothing yet . They are 20 billion in debt now not including site c :200:

30 is a little high but 12 - 15 would put it in the realm of what other large hydro projects are coming in over budget at. That and 2 years late. 4.5 originally then 7.2 when construction started then 8.5 then maybe 10. I see a trend happening.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Queen you never heard of venture capital ? Why make the leap to govt putting the money when that whole venture of site c is using tax money to tune of 10 billion plus which is going to result in rate increases ?

Plus to use conservative in thst context is laughable when true conservates would be interested in saving money instead of wasting billions on dam we wont ever need :smt045
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

butcher99 wrote:
If it works small time

Ok

it works big time.

No

Economies of scale make it cheaper for large scale operations.

No

That is why there are new long term contracts being signed that are cheaper yhan anything out there.

NO
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

butcher99 wrote:

12 - 15 would put it in the realm of what other large hydro projects are coming in over budget at..

what other hydro projects? Sounds like a lie to me.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Butcher reason i used 30 was because bchydro as it stands now if site c gets built is over 20 billion in debt . Add in the first nations winning the court case for few more billion adjusted for inflation because of time it takes to build and 40 million a year to move fish past the dam and 40 million is bchydros estamite on that cost over life time of the dam of 100 years equals 4 more billion :200:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

maryjane48 wrote:Queen theres zero logic in repeating bchydro lies . The cost will top 30 billion and guess whose going to pay ? Your next 10 generations . If you think hydro is getting out of control now which it is ,you havnt seen. Nothing yet . They are 20 billion in debt now not including site c :200:

butcher99 wrote: 30 is a little high but 12 - 15 would put it in the realm of what other large hydro projects are coming in over budget at. That and 2 years late. 4.5 originally then 7.2 when construction started then 8.5 then maybe 10. I see a trend happening.

Once AGAIN....deflection without eluding to, or answering the questions or doubt to the math that has yet been produced.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “B.C.”