Site C

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Site C

Post by flamingfingers »

Castanet poll mean exactly nothing to Horgan.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Castanet poll mean exactly nothing to Horgan.
Are you going to answer my question?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Are you sure about that FF? I wonder if he happens to see a whole bunch of polls showing the people of BC are strongly in favor of site C that it might not affect his decision. I would bet it would but that is my personal opinion because I believe he is more interested in his personal future than anything else.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Smurf wrote:Are you sure about that FF? I wonder if he happens to see a whole bunch of polls showing the people of BC are strongly in favor of site C that it might not affect his decision. I would bet it would but that is my personal opinion because I believe he is more interested in his personal future than anything else.
Agreed Smurf. And I keep hearing from Horgan and others in the government that they're listening to the people. FF seems to be suggesting otherwise.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I don't think there is any doubt he has to pay attention, in fact I would bet that there is a junior staffer somewhere watching thing like this and reporting. I believe he wants to know which way the winds are blowing with his political future on the line. I could be wrong he might not be that smart.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

After having a few power failures over the last couple of years I have learned to really appreciate electricity and the wonders that it brings. Many people take it for granted but it really has brought us modern civilization. A good book to read is by Pierre Berton called Niagara: A history of the Falls. The pioneers of our electric world did wonders there and many battles were fought and won.
So the idea of this clean and green powerhouse that will also store fresh water and create jobs while giving us all more electric hydro power for our growing country and civilization is something we should all be supporting and grateful for. We do not need to burn coal or use nuclear power. We are blessed with a natural topography and plenty of water that can be used to do this. Many people of the earth would love to have what we have here.
Those people opposed must look at the greater good here and understand that they too will benefit from this project, even if it is indirectly.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

flamingfingers wrote:Castanet poll mean exactly nothing to Horgan.

True. Same goes for actual provincial elections that he lost.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/1.4408157
That report was rebutted by UBC's Program on Water Governance, which said the AHC had made "factual errors and false claims" and said the AHC's projected power needs "would be 10 times the load growth actually observed from 2010 to 2016."

Wayne Peppard, with the AHC, noted any excess power could be sold to other markets reducing their greenhouse gas emissions.

"This power is not just for us," he said.

Building a dam to sell power to help pay for itself does. Zero for ratexpayers .as we saw. Bchydro already applied for rate increase because of site c so the reality is site c only increases our bills as. The sold power wont go into rate payers pockets . It will go into bchydros pockets :smt045
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ MJ - that's a pretty poor reading of the articles content. Plus once again they are quoting the disingenuous data manipulator Bakker. As I showed waay back her so called "report" is so full holes and poor practices as be simply a manufactured narrative.

Everything Bakker and crew said about site C economics has been refuted not just by me, but by an economics PhD at SFU - who is much more qualified to do economic analysis than the math/logic challenged Bakker ever will be.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Ironic to keep seeing the phrase "the reality is" in contexts so far removed from that realm.

The real reality is an inability to do math, negatively affects proper processing of information.

The real reality is BC Hydro just as any other entity, be it food, gasoline, rent, housing, clothing, pharmaceuticals, etc. all go up in price over time, so repeatedly blaming such an event on Site C is disingenuous to say the least, and an example of inability to understand commerce at best.

The real reality is BC Hydro has been contributing substantially to BC's general revenue, and yet despite that, and despite the cost of Site C, it still offers us among the lowest rates in North America.

The real reality is also that some are so obsessed with Liberal bashing opportunities, they've lost any ability to view information in an objective fashion.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

If N.D.P does one thing right while in their short period of being in power, it will be to finish this site c project.
Heck, people will think back, and say, "wow", finishing the dam almost makes up for the creation of I.C.B.C. back in the 70's
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Blair King on Twitter (Re-tweeted by Keith Baldrey):

Keith Baldrey Retweeted

Blair King‏
@BlairKing_ca

I appreciate how the @SierraClubBC wants to simultaneously fight climate change, pipelines and #SiteC. The cognitive dissonance is stunning. They demand electrification to fight climate change while fighting creation of new electricity #bcpoli
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ My dad and I used to belong to the Sierra Club when it was an outdoors/hiking club. Then they went all "NRA" and we quit as the phonies moved in.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/1.4408157
That report was rebutted by UBC's Program on Water Governance, which said the AHC had made "factual errors and false claims" and said the AHC's projected power needs "would be 10 times the load growth actually observed from 2010 to 2016."

Wayne Peppard, with the AHC, noted any excess power could be sold to other markets reducing their greenhouse gas emissions.

"This power is not just for us," he said.

Building a dam to sell power to help pay for itself does. Zero for ratexpayers .as we saw. Bchydro already applied for rate increase because of site c so the reality is site c only increases our bills as. The sold power wont go into rate payers pockets . It will go into bchydros pockets :smt045

How does selling power for $40MKH that costs $100 plus to generate help pay off anything. A 4.5 billion dollar project is now up to $10 billion and growing. Your arguments made sense at 4.5 billion and LNG coming online and Alberta buying it but that ship has sailed.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

^^ ya daft ducks. You use the $83/MW electricity to DUMP the atrocious IPPs that are costing $110/MW.

We have been all through this. But the NDP sychophants just refuse to acknowledge that their specious arguments are exactly that.

Now answer the real challenge:

Please post a link to a windy-solar non synchronous generation grid jurisdiction that has abundant, reliable, renewable and affordable electricity without subsidies.

Nothing the NDP little red book spin says can answer that basic question. There is no viable alternative to what site C provides. That means there is no honest factual argument against it.

Return to “B.C.”